• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Santa got me an Aimpoint PRO, and I never have shot with a red dot until today. Wow! With my past middle age eyes, the front and rear sights are very fuzzy. But with the red dot, at 50 yards I open both eyes and only the bull and the red dot are visible. Even the rear sight is tuned out. For those iron sight hold outs, I recommend trying out a red dot optic.

Attachments

• DSC_0078.jpg
      DSC_0078.jpg
      56.5 KB · Views: 988
    • DSC_0079.jpg
      DSC_0079.jpg
      87.3 KB · Views: 989

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    you made the right call, and you will never look back...believe me. i never would have let my aimpoint go, but i used the money to help fund a acog (which is another amazing optic, though the wallet takes a hit for sure lol)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Next try a good 1-4x or 1-6x optic.

At 1x, as fast as a red dot, but you can dial up the power for those longer shots.

comikemike

Dec 18, 2013
    Plus one for the red dots. Have nothing but love for the Aimpoint Comp series and EOTechs. Also hear a lot of good things about the Aimpoint Micro H-1, but no personal experience with that one. Yet...

Mar 8, 2011
    I'm a big fan of Aimpoints. In the last couple years, I've had increasing difficulty shooting iron sights. When I focus on the front sight on my rifle, I lose the target completely. I tried using an Aimpoint Pro at an Appleseed event and had no difficulty hitting the simulated 400 yard targets. I get a little bit of distortion of the red dot from my astigmatism but the dot is only around 2 MOA so the distortion isn't a problem.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Next try a good 1-4x or 1-6x optic.

At 1x, as fast as a red dot, but you can dial up the power for those longer shots.

Well - I do have this 18" barrel AR with a Vortex Viper 2.5 to 10 X scope. It's a Remington; my first AR before I knew any better. I put a Timney trigger on it and it's a pretty accurate shooter. A heavy rig though.

Attachments

• DSC_0074.jpg
      DSC_0074.jpg
      106.4 KB · Views: 708

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    just another thing i notice, and something that may benifit you...i notice your stock is pretty far out...are you a big dude? if not, changing your grip to either a bcm gunfighter or a umbrella grip 23 would allow you to use a tighter, closer stock and cheek placement. they have a more vertical grip angle which makes running stocks further in more natural and comfortable

as far as which grip is better i cannot say...i have both, and like them both the same...though i run the bcm right now because i like the looks of it on this particual rifle better

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Well - I do have this 18" barrel AR with a Vortex Viper 2.5 to 10 X scope. It's a Remington; my first AR before I knew any better. I put a Timney trigger on it and it's a pretty accurate shooter. A heavy rig though.

Bet this one's heavier............17-1/2 pounds. ;)

Attachments

• wop-1.jpg
      wop-1.jpg
      35.1 KB · Views: 654

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011

How is 2.5 at close range? What is the closest you'd feel comfortable engaging a target at that magnification?

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Reddot is much better for those of us than can't quite see the irons as well as we used to. Aimpoint is one of, if not- the best.

Even those who have perfect eye sight like myself, Red Dot's come in handy when it comes to rapid target acquisition. I can engage multiple targets faster with a red dot than I can with irons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom