• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    so i have builds planned for a mini 14 and another ar...but neither really fit what i really need out here.

i need a long range (1000+ yard capable rifle), ive admired the FN spr for a while now for its accuracy, chrome barrel, and durability. so that will be the base of my build.

im looking for recommendations, im thinking about using a nightforce nsx 5.5-22x56 mildot scope, with the zero stop. this scope is FFP, correct? this would be a good scope for the goal, right?

id like some titanium rings, to go with the titanium base, any recommendations?

i will be running the scope with a 3" sun shade and butler creek caps.

unlike MD, out here you can see for a long, long ways...so this build would be better for me right now

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      41 KB · Views: 269

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    The FN is a good rifle. The scope... Your choice! But neither a '14 or AR will get you to 1000yds efficiently. If I were you, I'd grab a Savage LRP in .260 and call it quits. Scope + gun = $2k and you'll be sub-MOA. I have one that proves it. Well, a little over $2k, but close enough.

FN is a good rifle though.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    The FN is a good rifle. The scope... Your choice! But neither a '14 or AR will get you to 1000yds efficiently. If I were you, I'd grab a Savage LRP in .260 and call it quits. Scope + gun = $2k and you'll be sub-MOA. I have one that proves it. Well, a little over $2k, but close enough.

FN is a good rifle though.

It's not an AR, it's a bolt gun. SPR = Special Police Rifle.

The 24" rifle in .308 may get you out to 1000, but I'd suggest you get at least a 30-06 if you want to shoot that range. Personally, I picked up a Remington 700 Sendero II in .300 WinMag. That will get you out to a mile with a good hand load. Plus you can get a detachable magazine conversion for it, and a 20 MOA base for those long shots you are looking at. Mine is surprisingly light for the barrel length and stock. The scope you want is great for your purpose.

ziondogg

Feb 1, 2012
    SOMD
    Good ole pikes peak. Lived in the springs for 13 yrs......damn I miss that place! How do you like it so far? Have you been to dragon mans yet?

so i have builds planned for a mini 14 and another ar...but neither really fit what i really need out here.

i need a long range (1000+ yard capable rifle), ive admired the FN spr for a while now for its accuracy, chrome barrel, and durability. so that will be the base of my build.

im looking for recommendations, im thinking about using a nightforce nsx 5.5-22x56 mildot scope, with the zero stop. this scope is FFP, correct? this would be a good scope for the goal, right?

id like some titanium rings, to go with the titanium base, any recommendations?

i will be running the scope with a 3" sun shade and butler creek caps.

unlike MD, out here you can see for a long, long ways...so this build would be better for me right now

hornet

Feb 20, 2012
    Severn, Maryland
    i have a ruger american in .270 is accurate i didnt shoot it at 1000 yards but im pretty confident wont have a problem have a nice action , the angle of the bolt to be open is really short compared to my savage, what makes you reload faster and smooth... and is incredible cheap $400

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    Good ole pikes peak. Lived in the springs for 13 yrs......damn I miss that place! How do you like it so far? Have you been to dragon mans yet?

not yet, only been here less than a month lol. its beautiful out here though, and the people are amazing.

as far as the rifle selection goes...i want one because it was designed and tested to hold .5 moa for over 10k rounds...uses the older win. model 70 action and trigger, and comes in a damn fine stock...ill be getting the basic one, which should run me about 1500
    it does also already have a 20 moa mount, so thats already taken care of out of the box...i believe the rifle only comes in .308, and that doesnt hurt my feelings any...its very capable at 1000 yards. plus dillion makes carbide dies for .308 as well, so thats another bonus for me :)

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    I have taken my 24" barreled .308 to 1200 on several occasions. It'll get there no sweat.

I believe that only the NF 3-15 and the BEAST are FFP scopes.

I look forward to seeing the completed rifle. It the FN SPR had been out when I built my rifle I might have gone that route.

BLACKTALON

Ammo is like food
    Aug 4, 2011
    severna park
    not yet, only been here less than a month lol. its beautiful out here though, and the people are amazing.

as far as the rifle selection goes...i want one because it was designed and tested to hold .5 moa for over 10k rounds...uses the older win. model 70 action and trigger, and comes in a damn fine stock...ill be getting the basic one, which should run me about 1500
    it does also already have a 20 moa mount, so thats already taken care of out of the box...i believe the rifle only comes in .308, and that doesnt hurt my feelings any...its very capable at 1000 yards. plus dillion makes carbide dies for .308 as well, so thats another bonus for me :)

when and why did you move out there ? lol

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    I have taken my 24" barreled .308 to 1200 on several occasions. It'll get there no sweat.

I believe that only the NF 3-15 and the BEAST are FFP scopes.

I look forward to seeing the completed rifle. It the FN SPR had been out when I built my rifle I might have gone that route.

damn, youre right...any suggestions on a good 5-20x50 (generally what im after) thats mildot, ffp, and high end?

when and why did you move out there ? lol

about 3 weeks to a month ago

things just kinda lined up, had a good chance to move out here with family and start a new life up...so i took it lol...and so far regret nothing lol

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    ok, so opinions here...

leupold mark 4 ER/T 4.5-14x50 mildot

leupold mark 4 ER/T 6.5-20x50 mildot

nightforce 3.5-15x50 NXS mildot w/ zerostop

the NF beast is a touch beyond what i am looking to spend...i really like the zero stop on the NF scopes, seems it would make things easy for getting back to zero, that being said though does it also create the situation where more complexity = more to go wrong?

edit: and just because...heres another pic of pikes peak

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      63.2 KB · Views: 160

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV

i have, however im not a big vortex fan, ive never seen anything from them that really impressed me.

they seem to be decent though, just not on the same level as the NF or leupold...from what im reading though the NF even outshines the leupold in terms of build quality, light gathering, and features...the only thing i can see the leupold has over the NXS is weight, however considering the rifle itself already tips in the scales at nearly 12 pounds...i dont think i will notice very much...so right now i am leaning toward the NF

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    I'm going to be going with the NXS F1. I like the low end power for hunting and it has a bit more top end then my Leupold. Glass should offer higher resolution as well.

ziondogg

Feb 1, 2012
    SOMD
    Platte and Powers?

ok, so opinions here...

leupold mark 4 ER/T 4.5-14x50 mildot

leupold mark 4 ER/T 6.5-20x50 mildot

nightforce 3.5-15x50 NXS mildot w/ zerostop

the NF beast is a touch beyond what i am looking to spend...i really like the zero stop on the NF scopes, seems it would make things easy for getting back to zero, that being said though does it also create the situation where more complexity = more to go wrong?

edit: and just because...heres another pic of pikes peak

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom