• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    so ive been trying to sell my AR and glock for the past 3 weeks now, really no luck so far...am i asking too much? if so, what do you think is fair?

the listing is in my sig, along with specs and stuff...

im just looking for input here really, i really need these to sell as much as i hate to see them go. :sad20:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Here is my advice:

Pictures: you need to go edit your pictures to a normal size so people can see them right away. Or at least make the links hot. My experience is that impulse buyers need visual aids.

Descriptions: you are inventorying features, which is boring and lets people ignore useful upgrades by accident. You need to sell the gun in the description. You love the Triji HD sights - why is that? I don't know, and neither will your potential buyers. Get them excited about your guns' special upgrades!

AR-15: Probably a hundred bucks too much. I'm doing the retail math, and it seems like you're not accounting for your stuff being used. 50-60 rounds is used, not new, much like driving your car off the dealer's lot makes it used. Home build AR-15s are also a commodity item at this point, and yours isn't that hard to build.

Glock 27: I don't know if you've noticed, but MDshooters is not full of people who love .40S&W. I'm sure trying to figure out the cultural history of ".40S&W is for girly-men" would be fun, but you'd be best off trying to dump it on ARFCOM or some other forum. Price is maybe $25 too high - remember that most people are fine with standard night sights, so they won't pay a lot extra for fancier ones.

G27 AA Kit: I've seen this for $275 new. You're charging extra for the night sights, I get it, but the problem is that very, very few people want to spend extra on a kit designed to save them money. Again, like your Glock, you may need to get wider distribution than MDS to sell this thing in a normal amount of time. Your price is not all that bad considering the upgrades, though.

dwnthehatch

10-32
    Nov 6, 2007
    Kent Island
    I would put the Glock back in stock form but keep the night sights. I actually know a AA County Detective that is looking for one but the LE Price is less for a new one than what you are asking.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    You're asking essentially new price for the Glock. Your modifications add little to nothing to the price except maybe for the night sights. As a LEO, I could get that gun for that price NIB minus the holster, and I wouldn't give you anything extra for the holster. I'd honestly pull that out of the ad and try to sell it separately.

The AR looks closer to reasonable to me, but I generally will pay more for a factory complete gun than anyone's home built unless it's a custom built by a gunsmith. You might do well to pull the upper and sell it separately.

Strictly my opinions, worth what you paid for them (+/- 10%)

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Take this for what its worth but I've sold a lot on ebay and CL:
    Using a FFL that doesn't do early release is a big turn off. Offer to do it through the MSP.

Approx # of rounds through each?

Pics help! A seller too lazy to post pics is a bad sign. For example is the AR black, fde, od? A pic answers a lot of questions and entices buyers to 'want'. Buyers don't walk into a gun store and look down a list of inventory. They see something on the wall/cabinet and triggers "I want!". Using a 'stock' pic is acceptable if its a common item. I imagine your glock looks just like the professionally taken photos of new ones on glock.com. So use one of those. The AR is 'custom' and you'll need to take your own pic.

Make two ads. One for the AR, one for the glock. Keep the titles simple. That one is awful busy. You can then put the price of each in the correct part of the ad and it shows up in the list view. We buyers are lazy;) and need to be able to just scan through the headings and see what we want. You don't want to have to get us to read (much) to get our attention;)

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    Here is my advice:

Pictures: you need to go edit your pictures to a normal size so people can see them right away. Or at least make the links hot. My experience is that impulse buyers need visual aids.

Descriptions: you are inventorying features, which is boring and lets people ignore useful upgrades by accident. You need to sell the gun in the description. You love the Triji HD sights - why is that? I don't know, and neither will your potential buyers. Get them excited about your guns' special upgrades!

AR-15: Probably a hundred bucks too much. I'm doing the retail math, and it seems like you're not accounting for your stuff being used. 50-60 rounds is used, not new, much like driving your car off the dealer's lot makes it used. Home build AR-15s are also a commodity item at this point, and yours isn't that hard to build.

Glock 27: I don't know if you've noticed, but MDshooters is not full of people who love .40S&W. I'm sure trying to figure out the cultural history of ".40S&W is for girly-men" would be fun, but you'd be best off trying to dump it on ARFCOM or some other forum. Price is maybe $25 too high - remember that most people are fine with standard night sights, so they won't pay a lot extra for fancier ones.

G27 AA Kit: I've seen this for $275 new. You're charging extra for the night sights, I get it, but the problem is that very, very few people want to spend extra on a kit designed to save them money. Again, like your Glock, you may need to get wider distribution than MDS to sell this thing in a normal amount of time. Your price is not all that bad considering the upgrades, though.

true on all accounts.

the only thing with the AA kits is finding them either in stock or for sale is a major PITA lol...

frankly ive been thinking i may just have better luck selling the BCM upper and just keeping the lower. i would think $625.00 for the whole upper would be pretty fair, considering new is around 740 for both (the upper and bcg themselves that is) together. i know its really nothing special or unique, never really was intended to be...i always figured that it would be like a car...high end aftermarket parts are nice and all, but it narrows the market of potential buyers down who have the same taste as you, and most wouldnt be willing to pay extra for what they dont want.

edit: im gonna scale the pics down now lol

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Something else to consider: you added features to the guns for your personal preference. Trying to capture money for those additions, whether it's guns, motorcycles, or mountain bikes, is going to be a hard sell. Also, a gun with a previous owner is a used gun. I've noticed that's a big problem with most of the guns offered in our classifieds section: Someone pays $855 for a gun, decides they don't want it after a few rounds (or no rounds), and wants $850 for it. Used stuff doesn't sell that way.

That being said, I've gotten surprisingly good prices for stuff on gunbroker. I had a CMMG 300 Blackout upper listed in our classifieds for $500 and didn't get a nibble. Put it on gunbroker and got $760 for it.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Make two ads. One for the AR, one for the glock. Keep the titles simple. That one is awful busy. You can then put the price of each in the correct part of the ad and it shows up in the list view. We buyers are lazy;) and need to be able to just scan through the headings and see what we want. You don't want to have to get us to read (much) to get our attention;)
    Ooh, this is very true. Separate ads, definitely.

frankly ive been thinking i may just have better luck selling the BCM upper and just keeping the lower. i would think $625.00 for the whole upper would be pretty fair, considering new is around 740 for both together.
    Definitely, especially if you branch out to ARFCOM and the like. I would even start at $675 and work my way down over a couple weeks... BCM is a very desirable brand over there.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    Something else to consider: you added features to the guns for your personal preference. Trying to capture money for those additions, whether it's guns, motorcycles, or mountain bikes, is going to be a hard sell. Also, a gun with a previous owner is a used gun. I've noticed that's a big problem with most of the guns offered in our classifieds section: Someone pays $850 for a gun, decides they don't want it after a few rounds (or no rounds), and wants $845 for it. Used stuff doesn't sell that way.

well with the glock i was really figuring nothing more than the cost of it new + the sights...basically just selling it at new price with the sights free, thinking someone who was on the market for one could either buy a new one with basic sights or mine with the night sights for the same price...perhaps a bit optimistic, admittedly :o lol

that is also why i mentioned though that i would be selling all the OEM parts with it as well, so stuff the buyer doesnt like they could just switch back to stock.

ar listing
    http://www.armslist.com/posts/1864404/maryland-rifles-for-sale--14-5--midlength-bcm-pinned-ar15

Last edited:

phx223

Member at Large
    Feb 15, 2010
    West of MD, East of CA
    The 1100 is certainly more reasonable than some of the other AR's on here, but a Frankenrifle is a Frankenrifle and there's a small market for frankenrifles that cost more than Colt 6920's.

There are upgrades as compared to a stock 6920, but that doesn't really increase the liquidity of the weapon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom