• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1841DNG

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2016
    There will be if this moves up the chain some more and the IL Supremes also strike the FOID. Then it lays the groundwork for a split.
    It would essentially force the basic question whether a license requirement to own a firearm is constitutional or not.

As not a lawyer without a long history of reviewing court cases, I would think that it would be "common sense" that anything requiring permission from a bureaucrat is not a right. Tack in fees to get your liscense on top of that. Requiring a liscense means that it is no longer a right but a privilege. Otherwise a guy sitting in an office with different politics could not deny you on a whim.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    IL statute invalidated based on 2nd Amendment. See post #31 above.

That is a Circuit Court decision, not an IL Supreme Court decision, and it cited both 2A and the IL Constitution. SCIL can choose to overturn the circuit court and uphold the law, invalidate on a basis of the 2A, or invalidate on the basis of the IL state constitution. I do agree that if SCIL invalidates the law on the basis of Federal 2A, the IL AG could petition SCOTUS to overturn SCIL. But if SCIL only cites the IL Constitution as a basis for invalidating the statute and chooses not to address the Federal issue in its decision, the Federal 2A issue is moot for this case because the law is struck at the state level.

Until SCIL rules, this discussion is hypothetical. And if the State prevails at SCIL, the defendant still has a claim under Federal 2A. But as ESQ stated above, SCIL is the final authority of constitutionality of state laws under the state constitution.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    That is a Circuit Court decision, not an IL Supreme Court decision, and it cited both 2A and the IL Constitution. SCIL can choose to overturn the circuit court and uphold the law, invalidate on a basis of the 2A, or invalidate on the basis of the IL state constitution. I do agree that if SCIL invalidates the law on the basis of Federal 2A, the IL AG could petition SCOTUS to overturn SCIL. But if SCIL only cites the IL Constitution as a basis for invalidating the statute and chooses not to address the Federal issue in its decision, the Federal 2A issue is moot for this case because the law is struck at the state level.

Until SCIL rules, this discussion is hypothetical. And if the State prevails at SCIL, the defendant still has a claim under Federal 2A. But as ESQ stated above, SCIL is the final authority of constitutionality of state laws under the state constitution.

That is an awful lot of words for a "hypothetical" discussion. Thankfully, electrons are practically free.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012

I'll even go a step further. If the Illinois SCT invalidates the state law on both the State constitution AND the 2A, then the judgment would rest upon a fully independent and adequate state ground. See, e.g., Michigan v. Long, 463 U.S. 1032, 1040 (1983). The court “reviews judgments, not opinions.” Chevron U.S.A. Inc. v. Natural Resources Defense Council, Inc., 467 U.S. 837, 842 (1984)

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I'll even go a step further. If the Illinois SCT invalidates the state law on both the State constitution AND the 2A, then the judgment would rest upon a fully independent and adequate state ground. See, e.g., Michigan v. Long, 463 U.S. 1032, 1040 (1983). The court “reviews judgments, not opinions.” Chevron U.S.A. Inc. v. Natural Resources Defense Council, Inc., 467 U.S. 837, 842 (1984)

I bow to your wisdom. :bowdown:

Thanks for the explanation that even I can follow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom