• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which are venomous and inhabit Maryland?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Must have been about 7 years but it was a really wet spring me and a friend were fishing the monocacy river. It was much higher than usual and I guess that caused the copperheads to abandon their typical homes, anyway we we had the boat in close to shore and darn near ended up with a 5' copperhead in the boat with us. Wasn't cool!

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Copperhead and Timber Rattler.
    It is debated whether there could be Cottonmouths and Eastern Massausaga (sp?) naturally occurring in Maryland.

Correct.

Officially, and I believe its accurate, according to DNR, no Cottonmouths in Maryland, or DC:

"Only two of the twenty seven kinds of snakes inhabiting Maryland are venomous: the copperhead and timber rattlesnake."http://dnr2.maryland.gov/wildlife/Pages/plants_wildlife/vsnakes.aspx

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    united-states-deadly-snakes-range-map.jpg

http://modernsurvivalblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/united-states-deadly-snakes-range-map.jpg

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    yeah the cottonmouth is supposed to get up to the great dismal swamp. i thought coral's were more TX & AZ and certainly had no idea they came up to NC.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    As for the poll, copperheads and timber rattlers are in Maryland. I think Eastern Diamondback would have been a good distractor because they sound like they would be in Maryland. I've seen a lot of copperheads in Maryland and Virginia, but never a rattler.

I do a LOT of outdoor activities - hiking, mountain biking, camping, hunting, etc., and I have never seen a rattlesnake in the wild. Supposedly they are all over Colorado and every day in the spring, summer, and fall there are news stories of people or dogs getting bit in my county, but I've never seen one. I've done a lot of hikes where the description has a warning about rattlesnakes and never seen one. I have a theory that there are only three live rattlesnakes in the world. They are owned by a guy who rents them out to photographers and movie makers by the hour.

Caeb75

Full fledged member
    Sep 19, 2007
    Aberdeen
    As for the poll, copperheads and timber rattlers are in Maryland. I think Eastern Diamondback would have been a good distractor because they sound like they would be in Maryland. I've seen a lot of copperheads in Maryland and Virginia, but never a rattler.

I do a LOT of outdoor activities - hiking, mountain biking, camping, hunting, etc., and I have never seen a rattlesnake in the wild. Supposedly they are all over Colorado and every day in the spring, summer, and fall there are news stories of people or dogs getting bit in my county, but I've never seen one. I've done a lot of hikes where the description has a warning about rattlesnakes and never seen one. I have a theory that there are only three live rattlesnakes in the world. They are owned by a guy who rents them out to photographers and movie makers by the hour.

Oh... timber Rattlers are here. I have kicked up my fair share chasing turkeys @ Indian Springs.

Edit...Sorry. didn't check the location.

ROBAR35

Living the farm life
    May 20, 2010
    Howard Co.
    yeah the cottonmouth is supposed to get up to the great dismal swamp. i thought coral's were more TX & AZ and certainly had no idea they came up to NC.

Oh they are definitely in NC, but there we call them water moccasins. I personally have never seen a coral snake there but was always taught as a kid the rhyme to differentiate between the coral and the king snake. Yellow before red or something like that.

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    Anyone that feels they are missing out on the experience needs to hike or mountainbike in the Frederick Watershed and Cunningham Falls in the Summer where I have seen several of both types alone and with others including my daughter.
    Exactly...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Oh they are definitely in NC, but there we call them water moccasins. I personally have never seen a coral snake there but was always taught as a kid the rhyme to differentiate between the coral and the king snake. Yellow before red or something like that.

Red touches black, safe for Jack.

Red touches yellow, kills a fellow.

mtbiker

Dec 31, 2016
    SoMd
    Anyone that feels they are missing out on the experience needs to hike or mountainbike in the Frederick Watershed and Cunningham Falls in the Summer where I have seen several of both types alone and with others including my daughter.
    Agree. Lots of rattlers in the watershed. Always had to be on the lookout biking there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom