• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • c4snipar

Ultimate Member
    Jul 21, 2014
    Montgomery County, MD
    Kinda of search around, and just curious whats lowest costs to convert my M4 carbine to shoot AK round. What's the complete list I need?

Thanks in adavance!

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Kinda of search around, and just curious whats lowest costs to convert my M4 carbine to shoot AK round. What's the complete list I need?

Thanks in adavance!

Around $300 - 350 or so at AIM Surplus, BCG runs for about $110 bucks, Barrels are around $170. Probably run a H2 buffer with an enhanced buffer spring. Don't forget those funky mags!

Barrel
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XFXB16762GB&name=FAXON+FIREARMS+16%22+7.62X39+Caliber+4150+CMV+Steel+AR+Barrel&search=faxon

BCG
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XAIMBCG76239N3&name=AIM+AR%2fM16+7.62X39+Nitride+9310+MPI+BDG+Bolt+Carrier+Group&search=7.62x39

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Wouldn't it make better sense to just buy a whole upper and mags than to change your current set-up into something some would consider inferior? Look at PSA.

c4snipar

Ultimate Member
    Jul 21, 2014
    Montgomery County, MD
    Around $300 - 350 or so at AIM Surplus, BCG runs for about $110 bucks, Barrels are around $170. Probably run a H2 buffer with an enhanced buffer spring. Don't forget those funky mags!

Barrel
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XFXB16762GB&name=FAXON+FIREARMS+16%22+7.62X39+Caliber+4150+CMV+Steel+AR+Barrel&search=faxon

BCG
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XAIMBCG76239N3&name=AIM+AR%2fM16+7.62X39+Nitride+9310+MPI+BDG+Bolt+Carrier+Group&search=7.62x39

Yup, that funky mag lol

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I found this at radical for $199.99. I guess all I need is a BCG (about $100) and a 7.62x39 mag that fits the AR I am good to go right?

No see'm linky. Does it come with a charging handle? I guess you can use the one you have though.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I found this at radical for $199.99. I guess all I need is a BCG (about $100) and a 7.62x39 mag that fits the AR I am good to go right?

You won't need a new BCG. You'll just need the bolt made for the 7.62x39.

Midway USA sells barrels, bolts, and magazines.

Everything I've read says most 7.62x39 AR magazines are unreliable. Another problem is the cartridges hang up on the extension ring feed ramps. Because there is more material below the bullet centerline. People have machined this area away with good results.

All info says a good bit of tinkering is required to make the AR in 7.62x39 100% reliable.

Would be nice if Magpul made 7.62x39 magazines for AR rifles. I've looked and can't find them. ASC mags seem to have gremlins.

Straightbolt

unindicted co-conspirator
    Apr 4, 2015
    The 'Burbs
    Lowest cost to convert my AR to chamber in 7.62x39

Just don't do it and that will save you money....unreliable over priced magazines.
    Never saw a reliable x39 converted AR....But you could get lucky....maybe.
    Mistake from start to finish IMHO but your mileage may vary .

Buy a CMMG Mutant and call it a day :) ...That's what I did and mine is 100% reliable and the most accurate x39 semi-auto I own bar none and I have many.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Comes down to ( semi-perment ) conversion vs being able to switch back & forth.
    Also do you have tools & skills to build upper ? If paying 'smith to do the work , would bring $ similir to buying complete upper.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    If you aren't set on a 7.62 conversion I'd look at a 5.45 upper.

7.62 bolts are essentially a 5.56 bolt which has been modified (and weakened) to open up the bolt face to accept the larger cartridge. Also this 7.62 magazines are known to be problematic since they curve so drastically.

I have two (one 16" midlength and one 10.3" pistol) in 5.45 and both run great using Ballistic Advantage components. Magazines are also more "normal" shaped and dependable.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Maybe ASC got their stuff together. I like how the ad says "Improved".

They were struggling during the post Sandy Hook craze.

Quantity over quality.

gabe72

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2012
    sharpsburg
    Any ideA why light primer strikes when shooting steel cased ammo? Have a psa kit did not change buffer asc magazines feed fine and same ammo in ak goes bang every time.

verizonguy

Sep 30, 2010
    Bel Air, MD
    Probably because hammer can't hit the firing pin hard enough. I had same problem with steel case, but hand loads or brass case ammo seems okay.

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    Look at buying some enhanced power hammer springs they should help with light strikes and if you don't have one in your bolt get an extended firing pin

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom