• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigCity

retired undertaker
    Oct 24, 2007
    Carroll County
    I am thinking of having a garage built next to my house. Does anyone on MDS know of a member who does this, or can recommend someone for me in the Carroll County area?

Thanks!

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    I can't offer any help on a builder, but here are a few things I wish I had done differently when I built mine 30 years ago:

1. build a high enough ceiling to accommodate a lift, and be sure to place enough bracing to handle an overhead chain hoist to lift stuff. An I beam type would be ideal
    2. compact the gravel/sand under the slab, even if the builder assures you it isn't necessary, and build it at least a foot higher than the surrounding land so you won't have to worry about heavy rain
    3. make the footers and framing substantial enough to accommodate a 2nd floor in case you ever want to add on
    4. don't buy a cheap garage door, and make it taller than you think you'll need so you can keep stuff on top of your vehicle when you garage it
    5. put in lots of amperage for future toys (compressor/welder/etc.)
    6. build it bigger than you think you'll ever need. Trust me, it will shrink over time

Good luck! :thumbsup:

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    A garage is always a desire for more....
    More floor space, higher, more power, more lighting, bathroom.....just about everything.
    I planned for over a year before finally building my garage. My only two regrets.
    About 20 more feet and enough room for a separate office.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Good advice. Make it bigger than you think you need. BTW, check your local codes before you plan. In Harford, outbuildings cannot be larger than 50% of the finished floor area of the main building. But where I screwed up was that what they considered finished would have included my basement/garage, and I could have made mine larger. Also, in HarCo, the top of the roof cannot be higher than the top of the main house roof. YMMV.

Check the specs for the lift on the floor concrete BEFORE you build. IIRC 6 inches of 3500 psi is needed for my lift. I have an Eagle Equipment 9000 pound asymmetrical lift. I have 11 feet at the eves with arched trusses for more height.

Plan on AC/Heat. I put in a heat pump, that I supplement with e kerosene heater in the winter when working.

Plan on an office. Also network, either wired or wifi, but make sure you have a high speed connection in the garage.

If you can fit it, a small room off the garage for the air compressor, inside they are noisy.

LOTS of light. Mine is 30x36 and has 12 8-foot fixtures with High CRI, High Color temp lights. I wired them into 3 banks of 4, so I can light only what I need to reduce power draw.

LOTS of outlets. I put an outlet every 4-feet (quad) and put them 42 - 48" off the floor. And a 220-outlet on each wall. 220 for a big compressor, machine tools, and welders.

Watch the garage door openers, you do not want them in the way of your lifting vehicles.

Finish the floor before you do much. I used a water based epoxy called U-Coat-It. Very easy to apply, and it is DURABLE.

Plan on running water, and best would be a sewer connection. And a toilet if possible.

Oh, and make it bigger than you think you need. :)

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    So, basically build a living room where you can park a car in with a den, sleeping loft and mechanical/cable/electronics room to run everything and also a kitchen. A new house. :)

Shemp

Feb 21, 2013
    Out There
    Mine is 30x40. If you use a box truss at that size you can get a 14x40 room upstairs. I finished mine into an apt. 1 bdr,bath,full kitchen and living area. Rents for $850/ mo. It has already paid for the entire garage. Shemp:thumbsup:

Biff_N

Jan 7, 2010
    Radiant floor heating if possible. No one I know likes to lay on a cold concrete floor to work on a car.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Radiant floor heating if possible. No one I know likes to lay on a cold concrete floor to work on a car.

Make certain to add floor drains to collect the water from melting the snow off the cars.

I miss my 4-car garage. Radiant floor heat and a big industrial gas-heater.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

I find that by keeping the garage a bit warm, the concrete is not that cold.

I set the heat to 50 in the winter, when I am not in there. And when I do go out to work, if I think about it the night before, I bump the heat up to 60 - 65. And maybe run the kerosene heater for a few hours to reduce electricity use (heat pump).

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Make certain to add floor drains to collect the water from melting the snow off the cars.

I miss my 4-car garage. Radiant floor heat and a big industrial gas-heater.

Or at least sloped to the door.

I find that floor drains are a Murphy's law thing. Drop a small part, and it WILL go into the floor drain. :)

Shemp

Feb 21, 2013
    Out There
    Mine has radiant floor heat. I put in a Baxi boiler system that also heats domestic hot water for the apartment and my bathroom in the garage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom