• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • acwatkins

Aug 29, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    So its about time for me to get a new gun :D Im pretty much set on some type of an AR. Only thing is I don't know too much about them other than the reliability and customization factors. I was wondering if anyone has insight on looking for/buying a used one. How much should I look to spend for a very basic model, is $600 enough? What brands/models to steer clear of? Where to look for used ones? Common problems with used ones? I thought about building one, but I have no experience what so ever in that so I will just buy one for my first. Thanks in advance!

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    If you just want a basic one, you can probably find a new one close to your budget with a little shopping around.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    So its about time for me to get a new gun :D Im pretty much set on some type of an AR. Only thing is I don't know too much about them other than the reliability and customization factors. I was wondering if anyone has insight on looking for/buying a used one. How much should I look to spend for a very basic model, is $600 enough? What brands/models to steer clear of? Where to look for used ones? Common problems with used ones? I thought about building one, but I have no experience what so ever in that so I will just buy one for my first. Thanks in advance!

For peace of mind, buy a new one and leave it alone.

In this day and age, you will never know to a certainty who or what has been in and out of a used AR-15.

And I want to congratulate you on admitting your limitations.

Ghost40

Apr 29, 2015
    If it's any piece of mind, I "built" my first one for about $750. And by built in mean I mounted the complete upper to the lower. The hardest part for me was the firing group which wasn't hard. Since then I have replaced the upper, stock, hand guards, firing group. In hind sight I should have built it that way from the beginning.

There's no reason to buy used though.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    I'd suggest buying a complete AR or building a HBAR via 80% lower. Anything to avoid extra fees and MSP wait and registration is always a plus :thumbsup:

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    Stripped Lower ~100.00
    Lower Parts Kit ~ 60.00
    Basic Butt stock ~ 40.00
    CHEAP upper ~250.00
    Bolt Carrier Group ~100.00
    Charging Handle ~ 25.00
    Basic rear sight ~ 50.00

Total ~ 625.00

That is about as cheap as you can put one together yourself.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    If you see a good deal on a used one snag it up. If it turns out to be a turd, throw a new barrel on it. Just one more option to look at. My 2 cents worth.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    PSA has complete lowers for $129. OR blem Magpul lowers for $159. Ad one of their uppers for $300-$400 and you are set. Under $600 even with shipping and transfer fee.

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout
    I can do it. Can you? :D

Black Hole 16" midlength HBAR barrel, $208 (free shipping and free stripped upper)
    FA/port door, $25
    AIM BCG, $80
    DPMS LPK w/o trigger, $25
    ALG QMS, $39 @ dsg
    Stripped anderson lower, $40
    Mil-spec M4 waffle stock, $40
    Nordic Components rifle-length handguard, $90
    Aero u/l cantilever scope mount, $80
    Vortex crossfire 1-4, $175

Without optics and mount, $547.

If you add a $30 BSA red dot, I know for a fact this build will hit a 1/2-size IPSC steel at 300 yards because this is the exact build list a friend of mine recently completed, and he did just that. He then upgraded the trigger to a G2S-E from Brownells (same as SSA-E).

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout
    Where can I get a stripped lower in my hands for $40.00?

google makes a great starting point. ;)

okay, add 10 dollars for the transfer fee. still well under 600 dollars. if your dealer charges more than that, you're paying too much. there's plenty of 10-15 dollar transfers to be had in the state of maryland.

i might have to stock up on stripped lowers while i'm in Texas. :)

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    google makes a great starting point. ;)

okay, add 10 dollars for the transfer fee. still well under 600 dollars. if your dealer charges more than that, you're paying too much. there's plenty of 10-15 dollar transfers to be had in the state of maryland.

i might have to stock up on stripped lowers while i'm in Texas. :)

Don't you folks in Maryland have to pay another few bucks since this goes on a 77R? I can get Anderson lowers of $58.70 OTD, but for less $78ish I can get a Bushmaster lower, which rates a little higher quality wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom