Looking for one suppressor for two hosts (45ACP and 9mm)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TAliyev

Thinker
    Feb 23, 2009
    Owings Mills, MD
    Hello fellow members! I have two host guns: Glock 19 with 1/2 x 28 thread and SA 1911 with .578-28 thread. I want to get one suppressor that would work effectively on both hosts running dry. Obviously it has to be a suppressor that handles .45 but which one? I was thinking Osprey 45 or Ti-Rant 45 but not sure which one would work better with my host guns. Am I missing other good candidates? Which way should I go?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Either are good choices. I went with an 45Osprey because that's what Engage had in stock.

A Tirant 45 is a great can too. The specs are so close it's a matter of personal choice IMO. I didn't think I would like the look of the Osprey on my HK45CT but I changed my mind.

All you need are two different pistons to accommodate the different barrel threads.

Attachments

• 45Osprey.jpg
      45Osprey.jpg
      82.2 KB · Views: 452
    • 45Osprey-2.jpg
      45Osprey-2.jpg
      86.2 KB · Views: 457

Wfilardo

Jan 21, 2013
    Southern Maryland
    TiRant 45 and Octane 45 are both great suppressors but if I had to choose i would go with the SilencerCo Octane 45. SilencerCo also makes a 5/8 X 24 adapter that you can use for 300 BLK subsonic loads if you should ever choose to.

TAliyev

Thinker
    Feb 23, 2009
    Owings Mills, MD
    Thank you for your replies! I am still not sure which way to go. Are there any pluses or minuses on those two silencers that I need to take into consideration?

OrbitalEllipses, why are you disappointed with your original choice? What issues are frustrating you with your Osprey?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Pretty much any .45 caliber pistol can will work on .40 and 9 mm also. Some are also OK for .300 Blackout and even .458 SOCOM subsonic.

Pick the one that is 1) available, 2) good price, 3) from a GOOD dealer, 4) that looks good ( :D ).

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    OrbitalEllipses, why are you disappointed with your original choice? What issues are frustrating you with your Osprey?

The inability to clean the can wasn't a deal breaker when I bought it, but in retrospect would have been a smarter choice. I do like the can because of how it looks and the suppression is sufficient, but the offset bore thing is kinda marketing BS IMO.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Osprey still needs taller sights so scratch it if that's your angle. It also can't be user serviced.

TiRant and The Octane are better choices. AAC has been having lots of drama and such lately though.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    Octane and TiRant are both great cans....I have the latter. Also look at the Griffon Rev 45.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    +1 on Octane 45, if I had to choose one pistol suppressor. It's also rated for sub caliber full auto. Also SilencerCo's customer service is BY FAR second to f-ing no one! They will fix your can, no questions asked.

TAliyev

Thinker
    Feb 23, 2009
    Owings Mills, MD
    Thanks to this thread I have decided to go with Octane 45. But just before going to the store I stuck myself with a question: When I die, will my kids have more headache if I have this silencer on my name or if it is titled to my trust? My objective is to lessen burden on my kids.... I realize that this question is somewhat outside of the original subject, but I want to make sure that while I am entertaining myself with NFA toys I am not creating future legal troubles for my kids.... My feeling is that the correct choice is "trust", but I am not sure if individual titling has any pluses for future ownership re-assignment of this suppressor.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    It all depends on the terms of the trust. If the items remain in trust at your death and the kids step in as trustees, that is the easiest but not typical. If the beneficiaries of the trust simply inherit the items it would be the same relatively simple inheritance process as an individual.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    A carefully thought out trust would not only save them the $200 tax stamp but spell out the pathway for future use. I understand that suppressors are addictive so it would save you money as well.
    Carefully is an important word. If all are named as beneficiaries, what happens when they all live in different parts of the country, or one lives in a state where it is illegal or a giant sibling rivalry takes place.
    The obvious solution is to have one suppressor per child.
    The better thing you can do for your kids is to throw away the 50 years of crap in your basement and garage. No one wants a box of cheap ashtrays from the 1950's. DAMHIK

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I'm probably late to all of this, but my personal choice would be the Griffin Armament Revolution 45. You can configure it for going long or short, which for a general use suppressor seems like a really handy ability (long on rifles, short on pistols). Also has a 3-lug adapter, which could prove useful down the line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom