• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wynter

Jul 27, 2010
    Sykesville, MD
    I have a Springfield M1911A-1 style GI .45. It is the first pistol that I ever bought way back in the early 2000's. I disassembled it fully (for the first time) to thoroughly clean it, and install some mods (extended thumb safety amongst them). Now, when I reassemble it, the hammer will not lock back. It immediately swings forward.

I've done the research online, sifting through as best as I can. I believe that I have not installed the sear spring properly. The hammer strap is in the mainspring. I am not able to find a video with a close up enough view of where the left finger of the sear spring needs to be. The middle one is under the disconnector, I got that.

Any help that anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    1. The left side leaf of the sear spring may be under (forward) of the sear leg. It should be on top (rear) of the leg as viewed from the rear of the pistol.
    2. If the grip safety was replaced it may be allowing to much rearward movement of the trigger. This would lift the sear spring off the sear, allowing hammer follow.
    3. Replacement trigger? bow too long? Overtravel screw not adjusted properly?

If that is good, leave the replacement thumb safety off and see if the hammer cocks.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Have you tried reassembling without the mods? 1911 requires hand fitting for basically every bloody part... Hell, I have a couple handmade 1911s and the slide stops are not even interchangeable.

Wynter

Jul 27, 2010
    Sykesville, MD
    I have tried reassembling without the mods and have the same problem. Here are the mods. Flaired magwell, which doesn't fit because of the lanyard loop on the MSH which I am also going to replace, so it came off. Match barrel, which I had to order a pistol block in order to remove the link for the new one. It has not been installed. The compensator won't fit, so I will need to have that fitted, so it isn't on. The extended mag release is too wide, so it came back off, and and extended thumb safety, which also didn't fit. So right now, it is back to factory. I will probably end up taking all of the parts to a smith to have them fitted and be done with it.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    In case you hadn't looked up the non-video version...

http://how-i-did-it.org/detail-1911/reassembly.html

Also, here was the advice from a 1911 group to what seems like the same question...

https://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?13425-Hammer-won-t-stay-cocked

I *THINK* Springfield is known to be a little "wonky" with some of their 1911 parts (or I may be confusing the issue of having a two piece barrel, but I though some had a few non-mil-spec style parts at some point). Which takes me to another suggestion, if all else fails, send it back to Springfield and they will fix it for free and tell you what was wrong.

As for fitting the parts, look into the 1911 bibles and DIY. Custom fitting my 1911 has been some of the most fulfilling hobby work I have ever done....

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    There are numerous makers of the 1911...some forged, some cast. There are different plus and minus tolerances from maker to maker...different heat treatments and different levels of quality. It's no wonder that few parts advertised as "drop-in" really do. What drops in one make won't in others. It's not so much a reflection on the basic design but the manufacture by so many companies which may or may not stick close to that design.

The GI 1911 was designed with looser tolerances so parts could be interchangeable. The trend towards well fitted and accurate out of the box pistols works against such interchangeability. Look at every 1911 part as needing to be fit to properly work in concert with the other parts.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Springers parts and barrels are of decent quality. Better than some other makes internals anyway. Something occured during the parts change - both ways apparently. Let us know when you determine the cause of the issues.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    This is how the sear spring should look.

Attachments

• sear_spring_engagement.jpg
      sear_spring_engagement.jpg
      56.2 KB · Views: 190

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads