• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Any amendments?
    Thanks Delegate Grammer. If you can swing it, I am sure almost all of us would like to see the marked up copy of the bill that was pushed through Judiciary. Granted, that would probably be a lot of pics to post since it is rather long, but it would be much appreciated. Hoping there is a lot of strike-through in it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Judiciary moved HB 740.
    Folks, this is the legislation to make illegal homemade firearms that is in part directed at 80% builds ...

Prohibiting a person from transporting into the State or manufacturing, possessing, selling, offering to sell, transferring, purchasing, or receiving a firearm manufactured after 1968 that is not imprinted with a serial number issued by a federally licensed firearms manufacturer or importer; and establishing penalties of up to 5 years imprisonment or a fine of up to $5,000, or both for violations of the Act.

https://www.marylandshallissue.org/jmain/legislation-tracker/164-msi-2019-gun-legislation-tracker

Eta: as Budman corrected below, it may not be limited to firearms with CNC milled or 3D printed receivers, and not more common hobbyist 80% builds.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Read the definition of computer. It includes the human brain.

(C) (1) “COMPUTER–AIDED FABRICATION DEVICE” MEANS A
    26 COMPUTER–CONTROLLED DEVICE OR MACHINE CAPABLE OF OPERATING:
    27 (I) ON PHYSICAL MATERIAL OR MEDIA TO MANUFACTURE OR
    28 FABRICATE AN OBJECT;
    4 HOUSE BILL 740
    1 (II) USING SPECIFICATIONS CONTAINED IN COMPUTER
    2 CONTROL LANGUAGE, A COMPUTER PROGRAM, COMPUTER SOFTWARE, OR A
    3 COMPUTER DATABASE; AND
    4 (III) WITHOUT THE DIRECT AND CONTINUOUS CONTROL OF A
    5 PERSON.

So, your brain is not being directly and continuously controlled by a person. Makes sense. Good grief.

Malleovic

Apr 21, 2017
    Maryland
    (C) (1) “COMPUTER–AIDED FABRICATION DEVICE” MEANS A
    26 COMPUTER–CONTROLLED DEVICE OR MACHINE CAPABLE OF OPERATING:
    27 (I) ON PHYSICAL MATERIAL OR MEDIA TO MANUFACTURE OR
    28 FABRICATE AN OBJECT;
    4 HOUSE BILL 740
    1 (II) USING SPECIFICATIONS CONTAINED IN COMPUTER
    2 CONTROL LANGUAGE, A COMPUTER PROGRAM, COMPUTER SOFTWARE, OR A
    3 COMPUTER DATABASE; AND
    4 (III) WITHOUT THE DIRECT AND CONTINUOUS CONTROL OF A
    5 PERSON.

So, your brain is not being directly and continuously controlled by a person. Makes sense. Good grief.
    This distinction is rather thin. The section you quoted attempts to define the term "COMPUTER-AIDED FABRICATION DEVICE" but then the section immediately following (2) says it includes "A COMPUTER CONTROLLED: II CUTTING MACHINE...IV MILLING MACHINE", which seems to extend the blanket onto ANY cutting or milling machine controlled by something which fits their definition of a computer, defined later as "(i) an electronic, magnetic, optical, organic, or other data processing device or system that performs logical, arithmetic, memory, or storage functions.", which would indeed include the human brain.

Yes it's semantics, but this is potentially going to be a law, so I don't think the angst is unwarranted, especially considering the attitude of those pushing it.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    This distinction is rather thin. The section you quoted attempts to define the term "COMPUTER-AIDED FABRICATION DEVICE" but then the section immediately following (2) says it includes "A COMPUTER CONTROLLED: II CUTTING MACHINE...IV MILLING MACHINE", which seems to extend the blanket onto ANY cutting or milling machine controlled by something which fits their definition of a computer, defined later as "(i) an electronic, magnetic, optical, organic, or other data processing device or system that performs logical, arithmetic, memory, or storage functions.", which would indeed include the human brain.

Yes it's semantics, but this is potentially going to be a law, so I don't think the angst is unwarranted, especially considering the attitude of those pushing it.

You obviously do not understand what the AND means between 3 AND 4.

It means that a Computer Fabrication Device must do everything WITHOUT THE DIRECT AND CONTINUOUS CONTROL OF A PERSON.

So, telling me that your brain is an organic computer, even if that meets the definition, still does not make it a Computer Fabrication Device because it is always operating WITH the direct and continuous control of a person.

So, a person using a drill press, a router, etc. without the aid of a computer running those items with no input from a person, would still be legal.

Continuous is a little tough, but I have no idea how I would finish out an 80 without continuous input on the machines I am using to finish it.

mrbob1000

Nov 5, 2018
    Annapolis

...Continuous is a little tough, but I have no idea how I would finish out an 80 without continuous input on the machines I am using to finish it.

Even with a 3D printer, it requires continuous monitoring and input to ensure:

A: The part doesn't pop off the build platform
    B: You don't get an error like a layer shift
    C: You don't burn your house down from a thermal runaway on a cheap printer.

The law is too vague and open to too much interpretation by an overly imaginative future prosecutor.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Even with a 3D printer, it requires continuous monitoring and input to ensure:

A: The part doesn't pop off the build platform
    B: You don't get an error like a layer shift
    C: You don't burn your house down from a thermal runaway on a cheap printer.

The law is too vague and open to too much interpretation by an overly imaginative future prosecutor.

The Ghost Gunner CNC does not need attending.

Malleovic

Apr 21, 2017
    Maryland
    You obviously do not understand what the AND means between 3 AND 4.

It means that a Computer Fabrication Device must do everything WITHOUT THE DIRECT AND CONTINUOUS CONTROL OF A PERSON.

So, telling me that your brain is an organic computer, even if that meets the definition, still does not make it a Computer Fabrication Device because it is always operating WITH the direct and continuous control of a person.

So, a person using a drill press, a router, etc. without the aid of a computer running those items with no input from a person, would still be legal.

Continuous is a little tough, but I have no idea how I would finish out an 80 without continuous input on the machines I am using to finish it.
    I assume you mean between (II) and (III) under item (1) (line 25)? Unless we're reading different versions.

I understand what you're saying, but the language of the bill does not sufficiently indicate to me that item (2) in that section could not be used to cast the net farther than you are choosing to entertain. Item (1) stands alongside it, rather than explicitly restricting it.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    The Ghost Gunner CNC does not need attending.

Get them to add a shut off in the program at each machining step which requires a manual restart and then it does. We program stop points for recalibration in to the CNC machines at work. Despite it being CNC a guy sits with it all day.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Read the definition of computer. It includes the human brain.

I don't think organic in the definition of computer is an issue currently since the bill prohibits manufacture with a "computer-aided fabrication device" which by their definition is a "device or machine capable of operating ... without the direct and continuous control of a person."

So a drill/dremel etc controlled by my brain is not a "computer-aided fabrication device"

Its still a steaming pile but nothing there makes a hand finished 80% illegal as of yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom