• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Look, we aren't saying this law could have done anything, but there is SOME chance MAYBE it COULD have. So we need to restrict rights because a law COULD have MAYBE done SOMETHING.

But you know, it probably really wouldn't have done a damned thing. No they aren't responsible for what happened, but if the Capital Gazette had actually had actually pressed charges against the individual in question instead of just going with 'to much time and legal costs to go after the guy threatening us'.

They aren't responsible for what a madman did, but if we want to get in to SOME chance, MAYBE, COULD have, etc. if they HAD pressed charges and done SOMETHING about him, then he probably would have been in prison and/or been a prohibited person and legally bared from purchasing the shotgun he used in the crime. That would have had a much better chance of stopping him than some law that screws over everyone.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Don’t forget, this guy got his gun legally. He would have easily gotten. LQL.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    MD Gazette as usual trying to hide their total fault in the matter. Editor was a spineless coward who knew he could’ve pressed the issue to keep the guy away from the building and staff. Instead he chose not to “escalate” the matter and let the guy stew for years until he snapped. Editor’s choice to avoid confrontation in a court led to an even worse one, and now he points fingers instead of admitting culpability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Editor stated.....

"Don't make it worse" in regards to taking action against him.

"We're a community newspaper and need to be open to the public" in regards to securing the office.

If it was my family that died, the lawyers would be discussing the words "contributory negligence" in reference to the wrongful death lawsuit against the paper and the editor.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

RepublicOfFranklin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 16, 2018
    The ‘Dena - DPRM
    Editor stated.....

"We're a community newspaper and need to be open to the public" in regards to securing the office.

If it was my family that died, the lawyers would be discussing the words "contributory negligence" in reference to the wrongful death lawsuit against the paper and the editor.

Damn straight. The guy all but rolled out the red carpet for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    I guess it took the whole board to authorize the piece. I guess nobody want to put their name on it......

Q

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    I truly wish I understood the logic.
    Let's look at the facts here.
    1. This lunatic had no criminal record and was able to legally purchase the gun.
    2. These proposed laws wouldn't have done anything to prevent him from legally purchasing the gun.

What am I missing here?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    I truly wish I understood the logic.
    Let's look at the facts here.
    1. This lunatic had no criminal record and was able to legally purchase the gun.
    2. These proposed laws wouldn't have done anything to prevent him from legally purchasing the gun.

What am I missing here?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

You're using logic and facts. It's all about MUH FEELZ.

ETA:
    And they hate us.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Gun grabbers are just like the killers they claim we need more laws to stop. They both prefer unarmed victims. They can take their worthless gun control and shove it up their asses.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Editor stated.....

You have no idea what "contributory negligence" means, but carry on.

Just so you understand it a little better, it is actually a defense to negligence in Maryland. If the plaintiff, who would be you representing the estate of the deceased, is contributorily negligent to even a minor degree, then there is no recovery for the plaintiff. In your scenario, the paper or the editor would have just had to have been negligent. Then, there is the concept of res ipsa loquitor wherein if the editor was negligent while on the job, his employer (i.e., the paper) would be responsible for his negligence.

Maryland is one of 4 states that still follows the old rule of contributory negligence. Most states follow a rule of comparative negligence nowadays. Contributory negligence is a crock in my opinion, but a great concept for insurance defense attorneys.

Anyway, there is your lesson on the concept of contributory negligence.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    You have no idea what "contributory negligence" means, but carry on.

Just so you understand it a little better, it is actually a defense to negligence in Maryland. If the plaintiff, who would be you representing the estate of the deceased, is contributorily negligent to even a minor degree, then there is no recovery for the plaintiff. In your scenario, the paper or the editor would have just had to have been negligent. Then, there is the concept of res ipsa loquitor wherein if the editor was negligent while on the job, his employer (i.e., the paper) would be responsible for his negligence.

Maryland is one of 4 states that still follows the old rule of contributory negligence. Most states follow a rule of comparative negligence nowadays. Contributory negligence is a crock in my opinion, but a great concept for insurance defense attorneys.

Anyway, there is your lesson on the concept of contributory negligence.
    Thanks for the lesson. Doesn't say a whole lot for the lawyer that taught the "law" class I had to take at UMCP in the Criminal Justice program many years ago (late 70s). I'll add this to the list of reasons it was a good idea I changed majors after the first semester.

.....BTW - the Police Administration prof telling 18-20 year olds that thier "degree" would have them being chiefs of major departments upon graduation was the main reason.....

Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    When I saw the Shannon Watts tweets yesterday too calling gun owners extremists for wearing the WWNC comply shirts, while sitting in the overflow room listening to great people sharing their experiences as firearm instructors, dealers, owners, rabbis, doctors, sheriffs, personal stories how these laws would hurt them and their families and friends, and looking around and seeing all the other supporters of our rights there and then the few MDA members huddled together it was pretty clear: we're not the extremists, in this situation they were. But they'll never understand that

slowpoke

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Annapolis
    This is what I posted on FB yesterday, and am submitting as a letter to the editor so it can likely be ignored by Tribune Publishing.

The Capital's editorial board has gone off the deep end in their emotional obsession with "doing something" about gun violence, and dishonors those 5 victims with an incoherent editorial.

My family continues to grieve for Wendi and her colleagues. However, this illogical editorial asks their readers to suspend reality and make their murders the rationale for HB786. This bill has a laundry list of infringements, including a Long Gun Qualification License. They go so far as to admit that HB786 would not have even made a difference in preventing their murders if it had been in effect at the time. But we are to believe we need to blindly make it law anyway, just in case.

Thanks to the 2013 session, we already have a Handgun Qualification License requirement in Maryland, which certainly didn't stop the 10 brutal handgun murders in Baltimore in the past week.

If one were actually going to make a "common sense" argument on how to decrease the frequency of murders, you would insist on prosecuting those committing violent crimes, particularly those committed with illegal guns. But, as we see in Baltimore City, there's rarely a murder suspect without a violent arrest record a mile long. Talk to the State's Attorney about "ignor(ing) the death at their doorstep," and then cue Marilyn Mosby's excuses.

I also wonder if the Capital is next going to suggest that the state license deadly hands and feet, as more people are murdered each year without weapons than with long guns, according to the FBI.

Unfortunately for the Capital's readers, this piece simply borrows from the gun control playbook to extort bad policy out of the legislature with a reminder of their heart-wrenching loss. Anyone who takes a step back and objectively looks at what is happening here should recognize that.

And while we've come to anticipate these attacks on the Second Amendment, the editors' insult of those with differing opinions as "extremists" is perhaps more significant charge from a supposed outlet for the First Amendment. Objecting to additional gun regulation and restriction is not extremism; on the contrary, infringement of the constitutional rights of law-abiding citizens in exchange for a false promise is extremism.

I say to the Capital's board, it's time for more intelligent editorials. Logic dares you.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Concur. Excellent response.

I'm not sure if I'm prouder to be an extremist or a homegrown terrorist. Although this is going to make the next polygraph interesting; "Have you ever been a member of a terrorist organization?" "Yes I carried a sign in Annapolis and I testified against a bill."

Metaterra

Jun 28, 2008
    Annapolis, MD
    This is what I posted on FB yesterday, and am submitting as a letter to the editor so it can likely be ignored by Tribune Publishing.

The Capital's editorial board has gone off the deep end in their emotional obsession with "doing something" about gun violence, and dishonors those 5 victims with an incoherent editorial.

My family continues to grieve for Wendi and her colleagues. However, this illogical editorial asks their readers to suspend reality and make their murders the rationale for HB786. This bill has a laundry list of infringements, including a Long Gun Qualification License. They go so far as to admit that HB786 would not have even made a difference in preventing their murders if it had been in effect at the time. But we are to believe we need to blindly make it law anyway, just in case.

Thanks to the 2013 session, we already have a Handgun Qualification License requirement in Maryland, which certainly didn't stop the 10 brutal handgun murders in Baltimore in the past week.

If one were actually going to make a "common sense" argument on how to decrease the frequency of murders, you would insist on prosecuting those committing violent crimes, particularly those committed with illegal guns. But, as we see in Baltimore City, there's rarely a murder suspect without a violent arrest record a mile long. Talk to the State's Attorney about "ignor(ing) the death at their doorstep," and then cue Marilyn Mosby's excuses.

I also wonder if the Capital is next going to suggest that the state license deadly hands and feet, as more people are murdered each year without weapons than with long guns, according to the FBI.

Unfortunately for the Capital's readers, this piece simply borrows from the gun control playbook to extort bad policy out of the legislature with a reminder of their heart-wrenching loss. Anyone who takes a step back and objectively looks at what is happening here should recognize that.

And while we've come to anticipate these attacks on the Second Amendment, the editors' insult of those with differing opinions as "extremists" is perhaps more significant charge from a supposed outlet for the First Amendment. Objecting to additional gun regulation and restriction is not extremism; on the contrary, infringement of the constitutional rights of law-abiding citizens in exchange for a false promise is extremism.

I say to the Capital's board, it's time for more intelligent editorials. Logic dares you.

Excellent response, and much more temperate than I would have been. I look forward to not reading that in the Crab Wrapper soon. :banghead:

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    Maybe Maryland should require a Media qualification license for these hacks to write "news" articles or appear on the "news" in a speaking role. Exemptions for traffic and weather maybe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom