MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    It's a very big deal. So-called Chevron and Auer deference, the concepts that the Government is assumed to be the subject matter expert and courts should defer by default to agency judgement on facts and policies. It sets up a very high hurdle for someone trying to challenge an administrative decision, like reclassifying bumpstocks as NFA items, in court because the GOV is presumed to be right even before you get a chance to present your case.

Elliotte

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2011
    Loudoun County VA
    Technical question... How is this one 2A related?

The precedent being challenged requires courts to accept an agency's definition of an unclear regulation rather than deciding if that regulation fits. In our case the ATF definitions of pistols, automatic weapons, etc. Or on a Maryland example, what's a "designated collector"? We know what it's been interpreted to mean, but it's not spelled out in the laws anywhere.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Exactly.

The GCA'68 defined a machinegun in law.

Circa 2018, the BATFE redefines a machinegun to include a bumpstock by regulation, not supported by law.

Fair enough, missed that connection.

krucam

Ultimate Member
    These Court referenced 'Deferences' in .gov agencies often goes too far. Long standing policies, etc...it is essentially their saying "Let it Be"...it would be good to have these Deferences to .gov be 'reexamined'

2nd=Good+Substantial

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2012
    The Hereford Zone
    How would overturning "defer[ing] to an agency’s reasonable interpretation of its own ambiguous regulation" apply to MSP's interpretation of "good and substantial"? If successful, could this federal decision be used to argue against MSP capriciously saying "we know it when we see it"?

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    How would overturning "defer[ing] to an agency’s reasonable interpretation of its own ambiguous regulation" apply to MSP's interpretation of "good and substantial"? If successful, could this federal decision be used to argue against MSP capriciously saying "we know it when we see it"?

It primarily affects court challenges to Federal regulatory actions. I don't know if it would have any effect on actions in state courtrooms.

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    I was at a meeting with some other Lawyers from the law firm representing these cases on Tuesday. I was there for something different, but these cases have an impact on the case law for the case my employer hired them for. That’s all I can say. Don’t ask. :innocent0

The Lawyers were giddy over how much of a slam dunk these cases are going to be. I’ve never seen a group of Lawyers so happy about a case, let alone a SCOTUS case. :D

Supposedly they also have some pro 2A cases lined up waiting on the rulings. They are waiting for dominoes to drop...

HaveBlue

HaveBlue
    Dec 4, 2014
    Virginia
    I was at a meeting with some other Lawyers from the law firm representing these cases on Tuesday. I was there for something different, but these cases have an impact on the case law for the case my employer hired them for. That’s all I can say. Don’t ask. :innocent0

The Lawyers were giddy over how much of a slam dunk these cases are going to be. I’ve never seen a group of Lawyers so happy about a case, let alone a SCOTUS case. :D

Supposedly they also have some pro 2A cases lined up waiting on the rulings. They are waiting for dominoes to drop...

I’m happy to hear that!!

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    The VA is getting sued left and right.

Another SCOTUS case being heard this session (today as a matter of fact), that may have an impact on being able to overturn the bump stock ban at the federal level.

17-1679 GRAY V. WILKIE

The question presented is whether the Federal Circuit has jurisdiction under 38 U.S.C. §
    502 to review an interpretive rule reflecting VA's definitive interpretation of its own regulation,
    even if VA chooses to promulgate that rule through its adjudication manual.

https://www.scotusblog.com/case-files/cases/gray-v-wilkie/

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search.aspx?filename=/docket/docketfiles/html/public/17-1679.html

Laj

Dec 5, 2016
    Bump. Case being heard by SCOTUS this week. Not a lawyer, but seems like this could have massive impact on ATF infringements and G&S issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom