• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HaveBlue

HaveBlue
    Dec 4, 2014
    Virginia
    I regularly fly domestically (from free state to another free state) with firearms and loaded magazines up to 30 rounds. I’ve flown to non free states with 10 round magazines. Firearms must be in a sturdy case locked with NON-TSA locks because no one is to have access to your firearm without you being present. The ammunition can be in the case with the firearm or in factory cardboard balled up in your yoga pants in your checked bag. I do think that loosely packed Ammo in baggies or cardboard boxes might be a problem.

The firearms are the only thing you need to declare. There is no mechanism to declare plastic boxes with springs or even ammunition. There is a per passenger weight limit for ammunition that is absurdly high for anyone other than a competative shooter.

The questionably named, American Airlines, does require magazines to be unloaded. I haven’t run into any others with similar policies.

My nightmare is being diverted to a non free state. My plan is to not collect my suitcase under any circumstances.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I agree. While it's legal to have unloaded mags in your checked baggage, TSA officers can open and inspect any bag that they want when it comes through the X-ray belt before it gets on the plane. They're supposed to leave a note to let you know that they made the inspection, but considering the wide variety in officer training and performance, I'd prefer to minimize the chances that they'd have a reason to search in the first place.

Yes, they certainly will notify you. :D

https://www.foxnews.com/us/sex-toy-...appropriate-note-from-tsa-agent-traveler-says

HaveBlue

HaveBlue
    Dec 4, 2014
    Virginia
    A tale of two checked bags....

I flew back home after Christmas with two bags of interest. Bag 1 had a declared, unloaded and properly packaged firearm and ammunition. It arrived without a TSA inspection note. Bag 2 had a metal/blowback operated airsoft Walther that my wife had on her wish list. That bag had a note of inspection from the TSA but without the note, I probably wouldn't have noticed their inspection.

Everything went as it should have. I'm glad that TSA was paying attention enough to spot the metal firearm shaped object. I'm also glad they didn't over react.

CSHS

Apr 21, 2015
    I carry guns and or ammo frequently (CHECKED LUGGAGE ONLY). I bring home spent brass to reload. Rather than a lock, I ziptie my bags. TSA usually opens them. They leave a little card inside saying it was inspected.

Firearms need to be declared, but that's about it. Check on your carrier's website for specifics to that airline. Southwest only allows 11 pounds of ammo, which only gives you about 400 rounds of 9mm.

From the TSA website:

Parts of Guns and Firearms

Carry On Bags: No
    Checked Bags: Yes (Special Instructions)
    Firearm parts, including magazines, clips, bolts and firing pins, are prohibited in carry-on, but may be transported in checked bags. Check with your airline to see if they allow firearms in checked bags. Read the guidelines for traveling with firearms.

When traveling, be sure to comply with the laws concerning possession of firearms as they vary by local, state and international government.

CSHS, former airline pilot

CSHS

Apr 21, 2015
    Ammo used to have to be packaged in the factory box. That's no longer true. Secure packaging. No baggies. More from the Southwest website.

"The ammunition may be placed in the same container as the firearm and must be securely packed in cardboard (fiber), wood, or metal boxes, or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition."

I usually carry a printout from the TSA and the carrier's website if there are any questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom