• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Thanks everyone... to those going 300 BLK, are you doing a suppressed rifle? If so, what barrel length and gas system? From what I've read, it looks like there are significant reliability issues in unsuppressed rifles shooting either subsonic 220+ gr bullets, or in lighter bullets (hyper sonic) without tweaking the gas system. It looks like the cartridge was designed to be run suppressed using subsonic 220+ gr projectiles...

Yes. Pistol length gas port with SLR adjustable gas block(pinned), 10.5'' bbl. and a Thunderbeast can. The gas block is the key part here. Don't settle for a three setting (on, suppressed, off) "adjustable'' gas block. Get an SLR for about $120 and don't look back.:thumbsup:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Thanks everyone... to those going 300 BLK, are you doing a suppressed rifle? If so, what barrel length and gas system? From what I've read, it looks like there are significant reliability issues in unsuppressed rifles shooting either subsonic 220+ gr bullets, or in lighter bullets (hyper sonic) without tweaking the gas system. It looks like the cartridge was designed to be run suppressed using subsonic 220+ gr projectiles...

Not always, both of my 300BLK's were always shot unsuppressed - with bullets varying from 110gr Vmax's to 225gr BTHP (subs). All I needed to do was swap a buffer spring and I could fire either with very good reliability.

With subs, neither would lock the bolt on an empty mag without a suppressor attached, but they'd cycle an entire magazine without a hitch.

IMAG0250.jpg

16" Noveske barreled 300BLK, pistol length gas.
    12.2" Noveske barreled upper, pistol length gas.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Jesus, the cost of .458 Socom ammo is slightly depressing.

OP better get into reloading if he goes that route.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    I reload on a Dillon 550 for 45ACP and 223... 9mm and 308 very soon. Getting brass for some of the other more exotic rounds might be a headache. It seems that I'd just need an expander die set and dies for 300BLK/300 Whisper along with powder and bullets. I've not looked into some of these other cartridges. I do prefer to spend more time shooting than reloading though. ...

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    With the 300 BLK, it's either going broke while shooting factory ammo and shooting a lot.

Or making cases and reloading more than you shoot.

And you will want to baby and locate every ejected case once you go through the effort of making them.

A case catching bag is a must have item for 300 BLK.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    With the 300 BLK, it's either going broke while shooting factory ammo and shooting a lot.

Or making cases and reloading more than you shoot.

And you will want to baby and locate every ejected case once you go through the effort of making them.

A case catching bag is a must have item for 300 BLK.
    Going broke? At 58cpr to the sky I'd the limit, you can buy ammo and not go broke.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    My local buddy I've been getting parts from posted these the other night.
    Its plan Jane but I think I might try one....$370 bucks...
    http://www.shoretactical.com/product_info.php/ar15-300-acc-blackout-complete-upper-with-bcg-and-charging-handle-p-438

Could be a good deal, but 2 things caught my eye -

1 - ad states 1:7 twist, while barrel is stamped 1:8 twist in the photo.
    2 - knock-off YHM style rail, no set-screws to ensure the hand-guard doesn't rotate if the jam-nut backs off.

But at the asking price, those can be remedied rather easily. Not a fan of carbine length gas on 300BLK though.

CXD Arms

Feb 27, 2014
    Anne Arundel
    It seems the consensus here would be 300Blk, which I am also working on getting, but the two main things I would ask are:

Biggest Question
    1. Do you want a different caliber? If so, what would that be, 9mm, 300BLK, etc. With either of those, you could build a pistol upper to then make into a SBR later on with a stamp.

Or,

A permanently attached suppressor on a barrel that ends up over 16" would be a 1 stamp upper.

If same 5.56 caliber, then;
    Perhaps a bull barrel varmint?

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    It seems the consensus here would be 300Blk, which I am also working on getting, but the two main things I would ask are:

Biggest Question
    1. Do you want a different caliber? If so, what would that be, 9mm, 300BLK, etc. With either of those, you could build a pistol upper to then make into a SBR later on with a stamp.

Or,

A permanently attached suppressor on a barrel that ends up over 16" would be a 1 stamp upper.

If same 5.56 caliber, then;
    Perhaps a bull barrel varmint?

300BLK on a pistol build.

or

I know somebody that has a permanently mounted suppressor on a short barrel...

The 556 depends on what you want to do with it.

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill

2 - knock-off YHM style rail, no set-screws to ensure the hand-guard doesn't rotate if the jam-nut backs off.

But at the asking price, those can be remedied rather easily. Not a fan of carbine length gas on 300BLK though.

I will let you know what I find out about it. I'm stopping to pick one up on my way home. I send him an email and told him about the twist mistake and he already corrected it. Not sure about the set screw deal though.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    I know you said other than 5.56 but I would do an M16A1 clone. Stuff like .300blk while hip now, will disappear like 6.8. The uses for .300 are SO niche and small that I doubt it will be available like it is now in another few years. Maybe do a .308?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill

Is this the set screw you speak of? For the money its really nice. I will post some pics in a new thread when I have it all finished.....
    1c6aded1-fbce-4e2c-a504-dd91315c610a_zpsormedfcs.jpg

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Is this the set screw you speak of? For the money its really nice. I will post some pics in a new thread when I have it all finished.....
    1c6aded1-fbce-4e2c-a504-dd91315c610a_zpsormedfcs.jpg

Yes it is, and it's good to see because the jam nut can back off if you don't have the little hooked spanner wrench to make sure it's snug the first time around. :thumbsup:

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    I know you said other than 5.56 but I would do an M16A1 clone. Stuff like .300blk while hip now, will disappear like 6.8. The uses for .300 are SO niche and small that I doubt it will be available like it is now in another few years. Maybe do a .308?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hmmm... I hadn't considered .308. Since an M1A is out of the question now due to SB281, this might be a good option. Are 308 builds kosher post ban?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom