• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • andy41567

Oct 1, 2018
    Please correct me if I am wrong! But I thought with MD being so shitty when going to the range either indoor or out, we had to have handguns all locked up. Regardless if you have you CCW (which I do). Today I saw at least 3 different people at an indoor range pull from a range bag... There gun ammo and mags as well as there PPE's. I talked to one and he was not law enforcement. I was always under the impression that the ammo and gun had to be stored separate from the gun. In fact I spent a couple of nights in a barred hotel doing just that. Gun not loaded but mags were. Gun and mags were in the same locked CASE. That was a big no no 18 years ago.

Hansum

Feb 14, 2019
    They are supposed to be separate while traveling in a vehicle. What if you got pulled over and your rifle was in a separate compartment but all your ammo was on the plate carrier you're currently wearing?

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    I keep my pistol, mags, and ammo, all in the same bag. Pistol and mags unloaded tho. I believe all the law says is unloaded and in an enclosed case or holster.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    I place pistols, mags and ammo in the same bag. Most of the time, mags are loaded, but never in a weapon. Pistols are in separate compartments of the bag and the mags are in the main compartment with the ammo and other gear. The bag rides in the trunk.

Last edited:

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    I place pistols, mags and ammo in the same bag. Most of the time, mags are loaded, but never in a weapon. Pistols are in separate compartments of the bag and the mags are in the main compartment with the ammo and other gear. The bag rides in the trunk.

That's the way I used to do when I shot at AGC, except had a ammo box along, now that I go to an indoor range that wants the mags unloaded I do that.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

That’s what I do.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville

+1
    No trunk though

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

This. Perfectly legal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    They are supposed to be separate while traveling in a vehicle.

Not under MD Law.

If you are traveling under the protection of FOPA, which only applies when you transit state boundaries, they must be separate compartments or firearm OR ammo must be in locked case.

In MD, for handguns they only have to be in an enclosed case or holster. A simple fabric pistol rug is sufficient.

And they cannot be loaded.

NO separation of ammo and firearms is required. You MAY carry loaded mags, just not inserted in the firearms.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Please correct me if I am wrong! But I thought with MD being so shitty when going to the range either indoor or out, we had to have handguns all locked up.

You are wrong. :)

In MD there is requirement for firearms to be locked up while transporting.

Only enclosed case or holster for handguns.

Loaded mags are OK. Even in the same bag as the firearms, just not inserted into the firearm.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

In MD there is NO requirement for firearms to be locked up while transporting.

Loaded mags are OK. Even in the same bag as the firearms, just not inserted into the firearm.

FiFY

andy41567

Oct 1, 2018

In MD there is requirement for firearms to be locked up while transporting.

OK so when I am loading up at home for the range. I can get one of them nifty bags and throw all my stuff in there. Gun (unloaded of course) mags, ammo, safety glasses, ammo and ear plugs and put it in the car and drive to the range and be good to go.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    OK so when I am loading up at home for the range. I can get one of them nifty bags and throw all my stuff in there. Gun (unloaded of course) mags, ammo, safety glasses, ammo and ear plugs and put it in the car and drive to the range and be good to go.

I'm not an attorney, nor active duty LEO, I retired a while back. So this is NOT legal advice.....

I don't have the letter on me at the moment where I can attach it. But it is a letter responding to MD Senator Kittleman from Assistant Attorney General Mark Bown. It's dated I think early 2010. It states Maryland Law does not prohibit an individual from transporting a load magazine in a vehicle while transporting an unloaded hangun under the provisions of 4-203b.

I believe federal law states, notwithstanding any state or local law, a person shall be entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearms if the firearm is unloaded and in the trunk. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Necessary stops, e.g., gasoline and rest, seem permissible. (It doesn't seem to address ammo)

However, Maryland prohibits the unlicensed transportation of handguns in vehicles except for a variety of lawful purposes, including target shooting. Handguns must be transported unloaded and in a enclosed case or holster with a strap. (Would assume that as long as a long gun is in a case that would also suffice.)

andy41567

Oct 1, 2018
    I don't have the letter on me at the moment where I can attach it. But it is a letter responding to MD Senator Kittleman from Assistant Attorney General Mark Bown. It's dated I think early 2010. It states Maryland Law does not prohibit an individual from transporting a load magazine in a vehicle while transporting an unloaded hangun under the provisions of 4-203b.
    Lol. I know it was against the law in 2006! Lol. Even if the gun was unloaded and in a case and the mags were loaded but in the same case.... You were screwed. Lol. Don't ask me how I know. It involves a U-Haul and moving to this fine state once upon a time! Leaving a state where it was not illegal and I had a current ccw.

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    Lol. I know it was against the law in 2006! Lol. Even if the gun was unloaded and in a case and the mags were loaded but in the same case.... You were screwed. Lol. Don't ask me how I know. It involves a U-Haul and moving to this fine state once upon a time! Leaving a state where it was not illegal and I had a current ccw.

Sorry, I was trying to be helpful.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    It wasn’t against the law in 2006 either. That doesn’t mean that someone didn’t get charged by an overzealous prosecutor for some other infraction.

andy41567

Oct 1, 2018
    It wasn’t against the law in 2006 either. That doesn’t mean that someone didn’t get charged by an overzealous prosecutor for some other infraction.

Yes when moving to this state a long time ago on moving day coming thu the Baltimore tunnel I was unsure of my direction and I made two lane changes but did not use my tune signal. Of course I was pulled over by a rookie. I gave him my DL and the insurance i for was in the glove box of the truck which is where I put the gun in a locked box because I did not want it floating around the back of the 23' U-Haul knowing we had several people helping use unload. There was no mag in the gun and it was locked but the mags were loaded. The glove box was locked as well. When pulled over I stated I was obviously moving and that the registration and insurance information was in the glove box which was locked and I handed him the key to unlock and get which is also where my locked firearm was. He was very happy that I was honest with him. But long story short... I was arrested for hand gun in car. In the end I spent a night in jail and paid a $200 fine with no conviction and later had it expunged. I had my current ccw and was a corrections officer as well as a volunteer firefighter in the state I was leaving. MD did not care at all. I was told the bullets in the mag is what nailed me.

So from that time on I was always under the impression that gun and ammo needed to be completely separate when going anywhere with the gun. So I am just uneducated!

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Here's my range "bag"...it does four pistols and space for magazines and ammunition. I do not transport loaded magazines. While it may not be illegal to transport loaded magazines I don't care to have a problem with an officer who might be having a bad day...maybe his wife cut him off the night before or any other reason. Some years back in Frederick a man was arrested after a legitimate traffic stop when the officer saw one loose round of ammunition visible in his console. The man was on his way home from a shooting range and his firearms were in his trunk...just the loose round visible. The judge threw it out and was angry it even happened. It just shows you can be in the right and still get shafted.
    Guncase-closed.jpg

Gun-case-open.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom