• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JWLaRue

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Nov 23, 2009
    Annapolis, MD
    I picked up a FDE 18-inch Tavor a week ago, courtesy of RatWorx. Scarcqb's quick assessment is spot on.

About the only thing I can add is that the included 30-round magazine is a U.S. produced version of the Israeli CAA magazine. I believe this may have been done to meet 922r requirements/restrictions.

-Jeff

p.s. if anyone is able to successfully remove the forearm rail, I'd like to know what you did. Just removing the two machine screws is apparently not enough. :)

p.p.s. The required photo:

mdcktt21

Jan 25, 2013
    Central MD
    I picked up a FDE 18-inch Tavor a week ago, courtesy of RatWorx. Scarcqb's quick assessment is spot on.

About the only thing I can add is that the included 30-round magazine is a U.S. produced version of the Israeli CAA magazine. I believe this may have been done to meet 922r requirements/restrictions.

-Jeff

p.s. if anyone is able to successfully remove the forearm rail, I'd like to know what you did. Just removing the two machine screws is apparently not enough. :)

There is a YouTube video of some guy in Canada who removes it while do a total breakdown to get the frame duracoated, or whatever. IIRC you need to remove quite a bit to get it off, but his video showed how. It was, of course, the Canadian version but it's pretty similar. I have not tried with mine.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

JWLaRue

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Nov 23, 2009
    Annapolis, MD
    Thanks! I'll go look for it. The Duracoat part sounds like it might be that "TVPressPass" fellow.

Edit: no joy. There's a part 2 that's "coming soon" that is supposed to cover the swapping of the charging handle and fore rail.

-Jeff

mdcktt21

Jan 25, 2013
    Central MD
    Thanks! I'll go look for it. The Duracoat part sounds like it might be that "TVPressPass" fellow.

Edit: no joy. There's a part 2 that's "coming soon" that is supposed to cover the swapping of the charging handle and fore rail.

-Jeff

Ah, sorry about that. I must have remembered that he mentioned it. Sorry for the wild goose chase.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

JWLaRue

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Nov 23, 2009
    Annapolis, MD
    Last I heard (...well, read) was that the 9mm conversion kits would be available in the August timeframe. The 5.45 kits will follow...but I don't recall when.

-Jeff

squirrels

Who cooks for you?
    Jan 25, 2008
    I am sweating one. Once I get out of here it will be next on my list.

I have always wanted a bullpup...a rifle that can be easily maneuvered around the house for CQ defense, but without the disadvantage of a shorter barrel. (very loud, less round velocity, NFA hassle) I had always been eyeing the overpriced FS2000, but only because the Tavor was not available.

Might wait a year or two and pick one up once the fervor is over, though.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Looks like Tavor's are increasingly available, and at the basic MSRP ($2k).

From everything I've read/seen about it; highly recommended, and other than AR parts being more plentiful, Tavor is probably better for the reasons you mentioned.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    More Tavor Pictures:

Attachments

• tavor 1.jpg
      tavor 1.jpg
      78.3 KB · Views: 480
    • tavor 2.jpg
      tavor 2.jpg
      84.7 KB · Views: 481
    • tavor 3.jpg
      tavor 3.jpg
      79.5 KB · Views: 561
    • tavor 8.jpg
      tavor 8.jpg
      93.2 KB · Views: 557

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Details:

Magazine release and bolt release

Servicing the Tavor. 3-pin take down
    Showing the AK type long stroke piston and a rotating bolt similar to an AR
    FCG is completely modular and comes out as an entire group.

Attachments

• tavor 9.jpg
      tavor 9.jpg
      64.4 KB · Views: 614
    • tavor 5.jpg
      tavor 5.jpg
      81.7 KB · Views: 558

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Trigger reset spring

I took the trigger reset spring out of the trigger pack. Fired about 40 rounds and zer issues with reset. It did lighten up the trigger to the point that it is comparable to standard AR rifles with regular triggers.

I would estimate that without the spring, the trigger is about 7.5 lbs. creep is also reduced.

Nice thing about this modification is that it takes about two minutes to complete. All you need is a hammer and punch.easily reversible if need be.

Attachments

• spring.jpg
      spring.jpg
      47.7 KB · Views: 553

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    For what it's worth the trigger on my Tavor seems to have gotten better. I haven't shot too many rounds down the pipe with it yet but I've done some dry fire with it. Either it's getting better or I'm just getting used to it, either way it doesn't bother me as much as it used to when I got it.

Also in my gun the early gen pmags do not drop free. Not a big deal because I have more than enough other mags that I just don't use those Pmags in the Tavor

Also for optics check out the Meprolight M21. I got tired of looking and decided the optic was made for the Tavor it should be mounted at the right height and luckily my assumption was right, it's sexy on this rifle.

DSC01571.JPG

photo.jpg

: I would have like to test one out. Having gorilla arms what not. Would like to know how it work for a tall guy like me.

I typically shoot with fully extended stock on ar15.

I can line that up for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom