• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    i have an m1 carbine that i inherited a while back. it doesn't seem to cycle consistantly. i'm using new ammo or handloads.. doesn't matter. can't get it to cycle consistantly.

not cycling as in it's almost always ejecting but IF it picks up another round, it jams about 1/3 of the time.

i have yet to get a solid 20 rounds thru it in one setting.. even 10 rounds back to back.

replaced the spring, cleaned the gas piston.. anything else you all can think of?

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    yep. tried a new NEW magazine and a new "diffrent" magazine. .some 10 rounders and some "standard capacity" magazines. same issue. doesn't seem to be first few round or last few.. no real pattern. tried a partly full magazine incase it was a strong mag spring.. no joy

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Was your new magazine a GI mag or aftermarket? If not GI, get a GI mag. They may cost more but they work unless damaged. You can try a new recoil spring for the Carbine but I would follow the previous advice...look to the magazine and work from there...easiest first then moved on to the next most easy possibility.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Good point, seems like most aftermarket mags for the M1 Carbine are indeed junk.

The Korean ones appear to lock up nice. The Promags..... the 10 rnd ones I had to file the two bumps on the back to get them to work. Look for GI or Korean (KCI) at the gun shows.

Q

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    thanks guys. i'll take it to the range this weekend after another good wipe down and see if i can get more info. to be honest, i'm not sure what magazines they are. the new ones i got are metal, not plastic/polymer but i'm not sure beyond that.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Look for a two letter code (both upper case) stamped on the mag body. These were GI mags. Also, I don’t know if the aftermarket are stamped to look authentic or not. I reckon the 10 rounder is civilian unless it is a blocked GI mag, I doubt it but can’t say for sure.

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    I know that this is a late answer so here goes.
    I encountered the same problem due to improper barrel installation. The headspace was never set. I had to rent a pull through reamer and set the headspace.
    I would also do a close inspection of the piston and the little gas hole in the barrel. The little hole is there to force gas into the piston and this in turn operates the action sliding it back. If someone shoots "leaded" rounds down the barrel it will plug up the little gas hole.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom