• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    He's correct. So long as the magazine interrupter hasn't been removed or broken, it's impossible to double-feed from the magazine only unless you manually attempt to do so by placing a round in the chamber and then try to pick one up from the magazine as well when pushing the bolt home.

Perhaps the double-feed in question was this exact issue?

Also, kid in the first video appears to be using live ammo. Ugh....

I’ve had the extractor not pull the brass from a spent round out before on a Mosin- might have been a bolt I didn’t completely de-cosmoline before taking out to shoot. Think I boiled the bolt on my stove at the time for a few minutes and lubed up and it was fine afterwards.

JoeyBimmer

Jul 22, 2020
    Eldersburg MD
    Hap baker RSO'S have always been a crotchety bunch of FUDDs. Was that rule posted anywhere?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

apparently it is right on the brochure for the place. Single fed Mosin. He was quite nice about asking me to single feed. I should have told him it was a Mauser he asked me if it was a Mosin

This is the thread I was thinking about.

Shooting .308 out of an M44?

And this was the RSO's reaction. He interrogated every Mosin user for months after.

Obviously he was correct, but he sort of fixated on the topic.

I don't think this warrants the requirement of single feeding a Mosin. single feeds wouldn't solve the issue anyway, I would assume he had to have jammed the bolt closed.

Are these guys employed by the county? If so, I would report them to their superiors. I have been an RSO (both NRA and agencies) and can't stand people who are overly officious or who harass shooters for no good reason. l have heard enough stories of people who won't go to ranges because of bad behavior of the RSO's.

That said, I come down pretty hard on someone who does dangerous things like, sweeping people, negligent discharge, not properly clearing their weapon or handling a weapon during a cease fire. I would never do stupid shit like tell someone that his particular gun can explode so he can't shoot it. Ridiculous. :sad20:

Hap Baker workers are Carroll County Employees, yes.

I don’t suppose Hap Baker was either super full or super empty when this happened? I’ve seen the RSOs there pull crap like that when they want to get their buddy on the line or when they don’t want to do their jobs anymore and are trying to get you to go home.

I wish someone was able to get some of their antics on camera.

It is on the brochure, so no antics. It was full, but no one was waiting for a lane.

And what exactly will he do if you tell him to suck it?

It's not a safety infraction. You've done nothing wrong.

I assume I would be asked to leave. I kindly obliged. After doing some single feed shooting I realized I was having less fun, so I switched back to my VZ and finished off the ammo I had for that.

He asked me this after putting 40 or so rounds through my Mosin. I believe the Mosin problems come from people running broken Mosins, or not maintaining them. Mine cycles well, functions well, and is a decent example.

It is their rules, maybe I should reach out to the local government and get that rule pulled down. I do pay taxes in the county. I don't think I am going to shoot my Mosin there anymore, single feed is annoying.

To segue, I actually applied to Hap for a part time job, because I am in the market for one of those.

noddaz

bonehead
    Jan 9, 2014
    Arnold
    hmmm

Interesting. Last time I was at HB I was asked to single feed my Mosin. The reason given to me (as I understood it) was that rounds in the magazine were set off somehow when the rifle was fired and HB didn't want that to happen again. :shrug:

Whatever. I just did as they asked. I need to go back sometime soon.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Hap baker is anti gun. I wouldn't expect anything less from a range that makes you shoot one round every 2 seconds so you can't have the chance of practicing realistic self defense.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    You will find similar restrictions at Southern Lancaster County Farmer Sportsmen Association in Quarryville. The reason for the rule were some people doing mag dumps who either could not or would not control their muzzle and point of impact resulting in damage to the facility and rounds missing the berms entirely. A few ass hats ruining it for all the responsible shooters.

JoeyBimmer

Jul 22, 2020
    Eldersburg MD
    You will find similar restrictions at Southern Lancaster County Farmer Sportsmen Association in Quarryville. The reason for the rule were some people doing mag dumps who either could not or would not control their muzzle and point of impact resulting in damage to the facility and rounds missing the berms entirely. A few ass hats ruining it for all the responsible shooters.

How does one mag dump a Mosin? You have to cycle the bolt. I was even taking my sweet old time on extraction because I was dropping the used brass on the table so I had less to cleanup on the ground.

I put all my 54 on paper. I haven't shot riffle in a while so I mostly stuck to 25, but every shot out to 50 was in the orange square, which surprised me.

Doesn't this kind of behavior parallel gun legislation? I find it hard to believe you work at a shooting range and you cannot recognize when someone isn't doing what they are supposed to be doing.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Never had a problem @ Hap Baker. RSOs have always been courteous and as helpful as conditions permit.

Remember that the rules are written by people that are concerned only about liability on county property and are generally not well versed in the operation of firearms.

My Mosin M-44 operates as it should, but not all of them will. It took some work to make mine function smoothly. Would be nice to load a full 5 rounds, but I still enjoy making big booms and fireballs one at a time!

JoeyBimmer

Jul 22, 2020
    Eldersburg MD
    Never had a problem @ Hap Baker. RSOs have always been courteous and as helpful as conditions permit.

Remember that the rules are written by people that are concerned only about liability on county property and are generally not well versed in the operation of firearms.

My Mosin M-44 operates as it should, but not all of them will. It took some work to make mine function smoothly. Would be nice to load a full 5 rounds, but I still enjoy making big booms and fireballs one at a time!

yeah, not me, I find single loading irritating. I think I will reach out to one of the commissioners or whoever.

So one injury, the county wasn't held liable in that instance, and you sign a waiver before you enter the range.

Raiderjack23

MDS Supporter
    Jul 10, 2020
    Carroll County
    yhi1d.jpg

Please do not take this the wrong way. Just saying that it is their policy - it has been their policy. Safe to say it is more due to insurance and liability than just them being overly restrictive for the sake of it. Not to mention there is a portion of the populace that would love to leverage any future accidents to say the county run range is unsafe to try to close it. There are other club and private options.

Overwatch326

Aug 13, 2016
    Yeah, I remember the first time I went there with my Mosin, I got practically interrogated about what kind of ammo I was using, if I'd cleaned it properly, was told if they saw me loading the magazine they'd kick me out, and got interrupted repeatedly to get accused of loading the magazine. lol Then, when I did have a jam (turns ourt Red Army Standard used to extrude the lettering on some case heads, and my extractor did not like that one bit), I got treated to a lecture on how tired they are of all these Mosin guys coming out because they always jam, plus the guy insisted on doing it for me, despite my knowing how to clear a jam in my own freaking gun. Needless to say, after dealing with that and similar instances during nearly every visit--combined with the asinine two seconds per shot rule, and total lack of any supervision at the pistol range, where things really did get dangerous a few times (dude muzzled me and my ex like four times in the span of 10 minutes)--I'd had enough, and decided I'd rather join the AGC. It sucks, too, since it's not a bad range per se, and a couple of the RSOs are really nice. Plus it's cheap.

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    We have/had (at some point they will restart) Mosin matches at TCSC. Open to the public. Low key and a lot of fun. My son was 12 he shot his first one. Everyone was very helpful and friendly and he learned a ton from Mosin enthusiasts-of which I really am not one.

JoeyBimmer

Jul 22, 2020
    Eldersburg MD
    Just the thought makes my shoulder hurt. M38 and M44 especially can kick like a mule.

Those Mosin carbines can do a number on your shoulder. I get that the Soviets were more concerned with quantity over anything else for semi-trained soldiers but damn...couldn't they have designed a better shaped stock?

I put a riffle rubber condom thing on the end of my Mosin. It improved the pangs by at least 10 fold. Before after 10 rounds it was hurting, now I can do like 100 before I even begin to feel a thing.

Yeah, I remember the first time I went there with my Mosin, I got practically interrogated about what kind of ammo I was using, if I'd cleaned it properly, was told if they saw me loading the magazine they'd kick me out, and got interrupted repeatedly to get accused of loading the magazine. lol Then, when I did have a jam (turns ourt Red Army Standard used to extrude the lettering on some case heads, and my extractor did not like that one bit), I got treated to a lecture on how tired they are of all these Mosin guys coming out because they always jam, plus the guy insisted on doing it for me, despite my knowing how to clear a jam in my own freaking gun. Needless to say, after dealing with that and similar instances during nearly every visit--combined with the asinine two seconds per shot rule, and total lack of any supervision at the pistol range, where things really did get dangerous a few times (dude muzzled me and my ex like four times in the span of 10 minutes)--I'd had enough, and decided I'd rather join the AGC. It sucks, too, since it's not a bad range per se, and a couple of the RSOs are really nice. Plus it's cheap.

I think I am too poor to join ACG. Maybe in another year and a half.

I believe he was talking about the one shot per 2 seconds rule, not the rule about single loading Mosin Nagant rifles.

I always think of a mag dump as dropping that holding tab and all the rounds come out. I am not sure if he meant just firing it as quick as you can cycle a bolt, but even doing that I feel like you would still be about a shot ever 2 seconds (or longer)

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I always think of a mag dump as dropping that holding tab and all the rounds come out. I am not sure if he meant just firing it as quick as you can cycle a bolt, but even doing that I feel like you would still be about a shot ever 2 seconds (or longer)

That's exactly what he meant. Firing as fast as you can.

It was a reference to the 1 shot per 2 seconds rule, nothing about Mosins. The rule applies to all firearms, both pistol and rifle range.

It was a tangent from your comment about one rule at Hap Baker to other rules at Hap Baker. Threads here tend to widen from the original topic. ;)

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I got hollered at one time for not removing the fixed magazine out of my FN-49 during a cease fire. Me: "It's a fixed magazine, I can't take it out." RO: "But it sticks out of the bottom!" In all fairness though, that was some time ago. Most of the RO's who were there when I used to go were pretty good guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom