• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    There is a spot near Sharpsburg on the Potomac River that we always pull ashore and gather some while we are out fishing. We have a bunch of seeds we want to plant near the house.

J Beard

Deplorable Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    My trees have always produced a few, but this year they went NUTS.
    Tasted one for the first time a few weeks ago, interesting flavor.
    I'm going to have to try doing something with them.
    Most of mine are already squishing on the ground, but it smells good out in the yard!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    My trees have always produced a few, but this year they went NUTS.
    Tasted one for the first time a few weeks ago, interesting flavor.
    I'm going to have to try doing something with them.
    Most of mine are already squishing on the ground, but it smells good out in the yard!

Do you homebrew? I feel like they’d make great beer. I’d start at 1lbs per gallon to see what it was like. I’d also try making either wine/cider out of it or something like a braggot (which is half beer half mead, but in this case brew it more like 3lbs of paw paw and 1lb of pale malt barely per gallon of water).

Flametamer

MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2014
    Frederick County
    The range I use has a stand of paw-paw trees. I "killed two birds" on friday and now have two gallons of paw-paw goodness in the fridge! Not to mention a belly full...

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    Mrs. GnR makes Paw Paw bread, using her banana bread recipe. Good eats.

If you have a woodline, plant seeds there. They'll grow like weeds in practically any soil. They can thrive as understory trees in deciduous forest. ~50% of the understory on our MD tree farm is paw paw.

Have thought about transplanting paw paw to our undisclosed location. Deer usually shred anything new (to the area) I've planted there. My goats won't eat paw paw leaves - so maybe paw paw saplings will have a chance.

May 13, 2005
    I just realized a month ago I have quite a few paw paw trees on my property. Never had heard of them before until I saw some of the fruit hanging from a couple of them and researched it. The deer love them, or at least something does, the fruit didn't stay around for long at all. I only have a couple of the trees that are larger, most of them are pretty young and small, but probably about 40-50 trees. As stated earlier, they are all growing under the cover of larger trees, with the more mature ones right near my creek.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Fruit with the texture of an apple but the smell and taste almost of a banana - hard to wrap my head around it. I've eaten a few, but not many.

Usually more on the trees than most people realize because the leaves hide the fruit very well.

I really want to try these.
    Paw Paw home brewed beer is something on my short list- hint hint

Do you homebrew? I feel like they’d make great beer. I’d start at 1lbs per gallon to see what it was like. I’d also try making either wine/cider out of it or something like a braggot (which is half beer half mead, but in this case brew it more like 3lbs of paw paw and 1lb of pale malt barely per gallon of water).

If somebody gives me a few pounds, I will provide them with a 12 pack of Paw Paw beer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom