Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Neighborhood > Washington D.C.
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old Yesterday, 05:03 PM #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmanindc View Post
Not saying which side is true or not because I truly don't know and don't have a horse in the race since I am a DC resident, but someone saying they don't remember showing proof of there other ccw license doesn't sound like concrete proof to me. A simple call to DC and the specific question could have eliminated all this back and forth.

PS A quick google search and a link from the Arsenal Attorneys says " If you are not a DC resident, you must provide proof of the issuance of a carry permit from another jurisdiction. It need not be your home state."
There really isn't two sides to this issue.

There is only one truth and that truth is:
Non-residents do not need to have a carry permit from anywhere else in order to apply for a DC carry permit.

As for Arsenal Attorneys, well maybe you missed my previous comments about them and Mr. Lyon but let's just say -- even the best attorneys are not correct in their interpretation of the law 100% of the time.
Kanly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:25 AM #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmanindc View Post
Not saying which side is true or not because I truly don't know and don't have a horse in the race since I am a DC resident, but someone saying they don't remember showing proof of there other ccw license doesn't sound like concrete proof to me. A simple call to DC and the specific question could have eliminated all this back and forth.

PS A quick google search and a link from the Arsenal Attorneys says " If you are not a DC resident, you must provide proof of the issuance of a carry permit from another jurisdiction. It need not be your home state."
Kanly already did that legwork before I even had a chance to research more. We PM'd about how we were both relatively sure a NR Permit was shall issue in DC.

the next time I have a spare 300$ burning a hole in my pocket, I think I will get a DC CCW.

The next step would be to choose between a Glock 43 or a Springfield hellcat, and source some 10 round mags for the hellcat as a carry gun.

- I am a professional shop lead - I have a recent enjoyment of 'cheap' BMW's - Townhouse life is kind of meh
JoeyBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:28 AM #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBimmer View Post
Kanly already did that legwork ..."
Thanks JoeyBimmer! There was just a little bit of legwork involved.

Here's the DC part:

9/8/2020: Email sent to my favorite DC Lt. -- the one in charge of firearms registration.

9/9/2020: Quickest response ever from Lt. Unfortunately he did not answer the question asked -- which happens occasionally.

I reworded the question and sent it back to him. And perhaps was too verbose both in the question asked and in the logical analysis of the statute.

9/11: Still no response from Lt. Sent a followup email, omitted all discussion of the statutes and requirements and simply asked:

"non-dc residents do not need to have a ccw permit from somewhere else before applying for a DC permit?"

11 minutes (!) later I get his response (the quickest ever response I have ever gotten from him):

"correct"

So there you have it -- no doubts about it. No two sides either.
Old Today, 09:33 AM #74

Regarding George Lyon and Arsenal Attorneys:

I saw on their website the permit requirement, so I emailed him 9/10 quoting the statute and asked where he did he see the permit being required. I also let him know I had asked the same question of the Lt.

Mr. Lyon got back to me in 90 minutes.

His entire response: "It has been my understanding that a non-resident needed a carry permit from another jurisdiction. It does not have to be from your home jurisdiction. I would be interested in exactly what Lt. said."

So I’m not a lawyer but I still thought he was wrong – just like a lot of other people. But we would see what Lt. says.

9/11: Get the response from Lt. Email Mr. Lyon entire exchange with the Lt. so he can see both my exact question and the exact answer from Lt.

Mr. Lyon responded in 30 minutes:
“Great. I will amend my legal discussion accordingly.”

So, just like I stated in my first post in this thread:

Non-DC residents do not need a carry permit from somewhere else before applying for a DC carry permit.
Old Today, 09:45 AM #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanly View Post
I don't think that's true for DC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoveman View Post
Yes, it actually is true.
Quote:
So you think that they just want to see it because they like playing Show and Tell with you? Okay sure, let's go with that instead of because it's actually in the statute.
Quote:
Your first post was correct.

Without posting anything to the contrary other than your words you offer no foundation for your position other than the "or" in the statute. So what does that "or" mean? We can already ascertain from the rest of the statute that you must live or have a business in DC or have a permit from another jurisdiction (does not say your own) and then why do you think that they put the other "or" in there? Surplus of letters? Or does it describe how residents who live in states that don't issue permits (think Vermont) obtain the ability to carry a concealed pistol in DC?
Stoveman ah such fun times in this thread. You were right when you said I was correct -- you just couldn't see it.
Old Today, 09:54 AM #76

Quote:
"...Let's go check in on George Lyon who writes here:

https://www.arsenalattorneys.com/fir...g-requirements

Now if you want to continue to argue with George you are arguing with someone who was partly responsible for why DC is Shall Issue but you do you.
I told you George was going to make an appearance and that it wasn't going to go the way you thought.

Like I said before, I will continue to do "you do you."

That is the only correct piece of advice you have offered in this entire thread. Hopefully your other 18,000 posts are not as useless as every single post of yours in this thread.

Home Page > Forum List > The Neighborhood > Washington D.C.