• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Hmm

Here in Montgomery the fire department responds and orders you to put out the fire, claiming you can be cited for not having a permit. After several emails to the office of the fire chief, county environmental protection and county permitting, I finally received official documentation that a fire pit is perfectly legal in Montgomery County on private property. This post reminds me that I need to print and laminate it for the next time station 15 responds out and orders me to put it out.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Do you have that to share? Parents live in Twinbrook and have one of those wire fireboxes. I live in Germantown in a th and would like to do the same.

MeatGrinder

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2013
    MoCo, Eastern edge
    Here in Montgomery the fire department responds and orders you to put out the fire, claiming you can be cited for not having a permit. After several emails to the office of the fire chief, county environmental protection and county permitting, I finally received official documentation that a fire pit is perfectly legal in Montgomery County on private property. This post reminds me that I need to print and laminate it for the next time station 15 responds out and orders me to put it out.

That's interesting, we have not ever dealt with the fire department when we have a campfire in the backyard. Makes me think someone keeps turning you in.

My understanding is that you can only have a fire in MoCo if it is for cooking. So have some marshmallows nearby.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Do you have that to share? Parents live in Twinbrook and have one of those wire fireboxes. I live in Germantown in a th and would like to do the same.

Yup. https://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/DPS/Resources/Files/FPCC/outdoorfire.pdf

I finally got this information from a program manager in the Fire Code Compliance Section, Montgomery County Fire Marshal Office, Department of Permitting Services. Clearly states a permit is NOT required, but gives guidelines for when the fire department can order you to extinguish.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    That's interesting, we have not ever dealt with the fire department when we have a campfire in the backyard. Makes me think someone keeps turning you in.

My understanding is that you can only have a fire in MoCo if it is for cooking. So have some marshmallows nearby.
    That's what I was always told by my local FFs, but its not true. I always had a pack of hotdogs nearby in the past, it never mattered, I was still told it was illegal and needed to be put out. After the 2nd time, I started reaching out and got the literature I posted above.

A neighbor behind us and across the street would always call in any of us that had a firepit, claiming a house was on fire. She was the grown daughter of the elderly couple, apparently she has some mental health issues. I've never met her, only met the parents years ago.

MocoJed

Nov 16, 2015
    Loco Moco
    The transfer station also won't accept used motor oil, but will accept hazardous materials.... I'd really like to get rid of a few gallons of motor oil and not store it until January. Never once in the past 5 years of changing oil have I ever been in a situation there where social distancing wasn't easily accomplished. Most trips in the past I was never within 40 feet of any other humans.

tohit

Apr 28, 2020
    The transfer station also won't accept used motor oil, but will accept hazardous materials.... I'd really like to get rid of a few gallons of motor oil and not store it until January. Never once in the past 5 years of changing oil have I ever been in a situation there where social distancing wasn't easily accomplished. Most trips in the past I was never within 40 feet of any other humans.

Are you close to gburg? there is a little hut thing I go to that is behind Aldi there. You just walk up and dump it in to a sink looking thing

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium

In Baltimore County they don't check IDs at recycling. If you are ever up this way

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд

Advance Auto has (or at least had) oil recycling tanks on site. I always called ahead since the one time I got there and the tank was full.

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    Yes I have and it's a cluster. You have to be a landscaper/contractor and bring "your papers" (LITERALLY what the lady told me) - meaning a contract from your customer verifying that you are doing contract work. Homeowners cannot dump trash or yard waste, but the recycling is open.
    Just about every vehicle was being turned around and sent back home. Infuriating.

Well at least you can find solace on the way home and grab a bottle of fire water. I just don't get it...:confused:

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo

Too many nosy neighbors if that's happening to you. Up here in the ag reserve, we had one guy on the street with a vendetta against his neighbor (dude is a class-A A-hole, his neighbor is fine, he's just mad that the neighbor got the courts to smack down a false adverse possession claim). He called the Hyattstown Vol. Fire Dept every time his neighbor started a burn. They'd come out, look at it, say "you know, you're not really supposed to burn outside of a barrel," shrug, and go home. They started ignoring his calls about it after the third call out for the same thing.

Everyone up here openly burns. We're all on at least 1/2ac or more. Nobody burns on red flag days or when things have been dry for too long. I've taken care of 8 quite large trees on my property this way.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007

Take your oil to any Jiffy Lube. They'll take it for free.

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Damn, is there a memo for how to wipe your ass too? I forgot how much I hate MoCo, not that HoCo is any better. Whom am I kidding? All of MD sucks.
    If there isn't one yet, there will be one eventually. 7 years and less than a month to retirement. I'm already looking at property in Tennessee...

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    This guy *IS* the problem. Power-grabbing small minded control freak he is, I sincerely hope someone has a lawsuit in the works to test the legality/constitutionality of his edicts about keeping MoCo shut down. IANAL or I'd be all over that.

Just sayin'

Marc B Elrich
    8110 Roanoke Ave
    Takoma Park, MD 20912
    Age 71 (Born Nov 1949)
    (301) 565-8272

Marc B Elrich
    8001 Sligo Creek Pkwy
    Takoma Park, MD 20912
    Age 71 (Born 1949)
    (301) 587-2685

Marc B Elrich
    2302 Coleridge Dr
    Silver Spring, MD 20910
    Age 71 (Born 1949)
    (301) 589-7150

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    While I'm in this thread though, has anyone gone to the transfer station recently to drop off any large junk into the dumpsters? We're heading for our third month with the bulk trash collection cancelled, and I've got a lot of crap I need to get rid of which I would normally put out for the County to pick up. Nothing so big that I can't take it and dump it myself, it will just take a few trips. IF the powers that be will consent to letting an ordinary subject^D citizen go and throw some trash away legally.

I don't want to just dump sh!t in a park someplace, I really don't.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    While I'm in this thread though, has anyone gone to the transfer station recently to drop off any large junk into the dumpsters? We're heading for our third month with the bulk trash collection cancelled, and I've got a lot of crap I need to get rid of which I would normally put out for the County to pick up. Nothing so big that I can't take it and dump it myself, it will just take a few trips. IF the powers that be will consent to letting an ordinary subject^D citizen go and throw some trash away legally.

I don't want to just dump sh!t in a park someplace, I really don't.

I'm pretty sure eruby just gave you the locations of all the dump sites you need. ;)

As for a suit against Elrich, someone just needs to give Robin Ficker a call. He'd do it pro-bono.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom