• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmbstyle17

Dec 31, 2008
    Millersville
    So I just put together a new upper build using a Vltor MUR-1 upper, and I noticed what appeared to be a bunch of small cracks throughout the entire upper. But it is completely smooth to the touch, which makes me wonder if its just part of the finish.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Appears to be waves in the Teflon coating, doesn't appear to be a issue with the upper itself.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    If I didn't notice it before I built the gun, I would probably send this pic to Vltor customer service and ask them about it.

*edit - it does appear to be irregularities in the coating from the pic.. If it were physical cracks, you'd feel them with your fingertip.

bruppert

Dec 4, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Looks like a weak or uneven anodizing job. I don't see cracks.

You should send them a pic or two. Years ago when I was a machinist I was working on these aluminum disk castings (kinda looked like those small satellite dishes). We couldn't see any cracks but when we tested them with a dye cracks showed up on a couple. I think they were for the army and it was an issue. they might have tossed them as I don't remember trying to fix them.

Better safe than sorry, especially since that is right by your face

thai

May 8, 2013
    Pictures are always difficult to try and diagnose a problem from. But cracks or fractures should be fairly easy to determine especially in person. Be that as it may the picture looks nothing that even resemble a crack or a fractured frame. With the rifle in your hands, how and why are you not able to determine personally? Is there something else that we can't see from the pictures besides wave that resembles overlapping from spray paint?

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Looks like a weak or uneven anodizing job. I don't see cracks.

:goodpost:

Looks like the finish more than the receiver. Who knows whoever Vltor is using either had some newbie coating things or maybe they switched machinists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom