• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    This was in a package waiting for me today when I got home from work: barrel.jpg

And shortly after dinner I had this put together:
    IMG_0689.jpg

IMG_0693.jpg

I'll post another pic after I mount the scope. Can't wait to get to the range and see what it'll do.

I really want to thank the many knowledgeable people here on MDS who I learned so much from. Youtube videos and web sites are great, but the first-hand experiences and tips, problems, pitfalls, and what to expect after the build related here by so many members was a real benefit. Special thanks to Clandestine & E. Shell for their many informative posts and willingness to share information.

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    I've had really good luck with WOA barrels. They are an amazing value to boot. Throw a good trigger in there if it already doesn't have it, with a decent piece of glass an you will be a happy camper. Nice sneaks by the way.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    .223? What trigger? What glass is going on it?

Yes .223/5.56, WOA's normal Wylde style chamber. Just a smoothed standard GI trigger and budget scope for now. (A BSA 3-9x40, actually, I had really good results with their "Sweet" 22LR scope and thought I'd try another one of their models just to put something on this)

Something better when the budget allows. I'm sure I'll be tinkering with this for some time. :)

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    Here it is with the freshly mounted scope. That thing was sitting in a drawer so long I forgot what it was. It's a 6-24, not a 3-9 as I misremembered in my previous post.

Sure hope I can get to the range this weekend!

Attachments

• IMG_0694.jpg
      IMG_0694.jpg
      96.4 KB · Views: 593
    • IMG_0699.jpg
      IMG_0699.jpg
      47.4 KB · Views: 608

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    It's cool to see folks still building rifles. I love my Clinton ban 20"A2. It doesn't get nearly as much love as the AR carbines, but it's s smooth accurate shooter.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    What you got there a 24 inch barrel? Nice. Always good to see folks keeping the long AR rifles alive.

It's actually a 22 inch. I was going back & forth in my mind about whether to get a 20 or 24 inch. When I finally decided it was time to spend the big $$ & called WOA to order, they told me they had just started making a 22 inch, and that as it happened, the 22 would be the one available the quickest, so that kind of made my mind up for me.

White Oak said it would take 2 to 4 weeks before the barrels were ready to ship; I received mine in week 6. Worth the wait I think.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Nice varmint rig... just wait till you see the velocity readings out of that 22" barrel.

Whats the twist rate 1:9 or 1:12?

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    Nice varmint rig... just wait till you see the velocity readings out of that 22" barrel.

Whats the twist rate 1:9 or 1:12?

I'd love to, but I don't think a chronograph will be in my budget any time soon!

It's 1:8 BTW.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    I've been pretty busy and was only able to get to the range for about an hour in the late afternoon. Ran out of daylight before I had a chance to set up a target at 100 yards, but while I was dialing in the scope at 50, had cloverleaf & single hole 3 shot groups.

Had a cycling problem, though. The rifle ejected OK but wasn't picking up the next round from the magazine. Short stroking? Unfortunately I didn't bring my other AR so I couldn't swap any parts to try & isolate the problem.

I tried the lower on my Windham HBAR a few weeks ago, about 50 rounds without problems. At that time, the lower had a carbine buffer & stock. I changed it to the A2 stock & rifle buffer parts when I assembled the new rifle. The new rifle also has a new BCG that was never fired before. Problem was consistent with the 3 mags I had, (2 Pmags and a C products 10 rounder) which all work fine in my Windham.

I didn't see anything obvious when checked the rifle at home later. I expect I'll get it figured out when I have a chance to take it to the range along with the Windham and swap parts & assemblies. Meantime, any advice & suggestions are welcomed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom