• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wfilardo

Jan 21, 2013
    Southern Maryland
    I am having a hard time removing military primer crimp from 556 brass being resized to load 300 BLK. Any suggestions on best toll to use?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I just use the chamfer tool on my case prep station, a few seconds and no more issues.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    Like Brad says, a chamfer tool will do the trick. To save your fingers while doing a lot of cases, the Dillon Super Swage tool is a valuable piece of equipment and all I use now.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    An RCBS 17-45 caliber internal/external deburring tool works well.

I stop when I have about a 1/32" wide flat where the chamfer is.

Tool is designed to be used manually, but I chuck mine up in a wood lathe.

Works mobetta that way.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    I started with a chamfer tool and then too a counter sink in a battery drill, Then to a rcbs swedger ( pos ) and when Dillon came out with the Super Swedge I bought one.. It is the Shizzle Dizzle .....

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I use either a Lyman hand crimp remover for a few cases. Or a Dillon 600 Super Swage.

Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    The best tool is a Dillon 1050 as it becomes part of the reloading process (long rod in the center is a 1050 swage rod). RCBS makes a press mounted swage tool, the backup rod is the die portion and the swage arbors snap into a single stage shell holder (upper left) the cup goes over the arbor and ejects the case when you fully lower the ram.

The Dillon hand swager on the right works well but takes more effort than the RCBS.

There are also hand held reamers that work well too if you just have a few, like the knurled handled one on the left, just to it's right is a 1/4" version of the same thing that can be mounted into a power tool.

IMG_20150120_102721_411-1_zps5ce96744.jpg

All of the above work so there are plenty of solutions out there.

89GLH

Jan 26, 2012
    Perfect advice. $1700 reloader to remove a military crimp, why didn't I think of that.

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    I use the RCBS swager on .308 LC brass in my Lee turret press. Works fine but I take care when I'm pressing in the primers (on the press). If it doesn't go in with the 'right' amount of force I'll pull the case and run a quick turn or two with a primer pocket reamer and sometimes champher the edge a hair. It's easy to really squash a primer in using the press.

Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    Perfect advice. $1700 reloader to remove a military crimp, why didn't I think of that.

He asked what the best tool to remove them was.

The one I feel is best will not only swage them but load the ammunition as well. Not to mention, do both much faster than removing the crimp with any of the other methods above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La83ZVKnBzw

However, like I said there are many ways to do it and they all work.

airsporter

Apr 28, 2011
    Western MD
    I use an RCBS primer pocket swaging die. Before that I used a hand primer pocket reamer. Chamfering tools are not really designed for this task - because of their tapering cut.

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    I use an RCBS primer pocket swaging die. Before that I used a hand primer pocket reamer. Chamfering tools are not really designed for this task - because of their tapering cut.
    I agree with the comment about the chamfering reamer and the primer pocket reamers are similar-there are shoulders at the inner and outer ends of the cone, but they still work.
    I have a double ended Lyman primer pocket reamer that chucks into an electronic screw driver that I use while reloading on my 650- after >100,000 rounds, I have developed a feel for when the primer is meeting resistance and just pull the case, ream it and put it back into the primer station.
    For larger lots, the Dillon Super Swage is excellent- when you develop a rhythm, it goes quickly. I only do 5.56 NATO and 7.62 NATO, along with a few 9mm MAK (esp S&B).
    DocAitch

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom