• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I'm pretty sure that centerfire rifle cartridges are not permitted.. it is a pistol club and they had to pull teeth to get the ability to allow 22rimfire, not sure about 17's..

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    NO 17 0R 22MAG RIFLE or any other rifle but 22 on range

and everything SuperMag said

Would you be so kind as to stop shouting and show me where this rule is written?
    I have been a member for years and have never seen it.
    It is not written in the club rules or anywhere else I have seen but if it is in fact there I will abide my it.
    Otherwise it is hearsay, and rumor.

Ragnar

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2013
    Berkeley Springs, WV
    You're right, pop-gunner, that the range rules published on the club Web site are unclear on this point. I'll raise it with the officers and ask them to clarify the published rules.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    Thank you Ragnar.
    Not many things bug me more than people imagining rules and stating them as fact.
    Especially in this state and the current political climate.
    It is pretty clear that other than a .22 rimfire no other rifles are even allowed on the property but I have never seen a thing dictating which caliber pistols are, or are not allowed.
    If it's a noise issue it should be pointed out that a .357 Magnum at 164 decibels is louder than a 7.5 inch .223 pistol with a decent break so just imagine the sound from a .44, or .500 magnum.
    Sounds like some people don't like a scary looking gun that holds more than 10 bullets.

Ragnar

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2013
    Berkeley Springs, WV
    The way it's been described to me, the issue has more to do with muzzle velocity and the possiblity of a stray round exiting the berms.

I am told that the range rules are being re-written and that a new version will be published soon that will explicitly address the issue of rifle-caliber pistols. I also believe they're looking at large-caliber pistol like .460 and .500.

SuperMag

Citizen--not "Subject"
    Nov 30, 2011
    Maryland
    The only rifle caliber allowed is 22 LR/L/S. 22 magnum and 17 are not, even though people shoot them there.

The rules are really fuzzy and not clearly written. I've told the president and VP they can't enforce rules that are not clearly stated. The range risks losing its waiver from the county by not clearly stating the rules on the Website and on the rules signs posted at the range, because members continue to shoot ammo prohibited by the waiver.

HogCommander

Aug 10, 2013
    Texas Hill Country
    Discovered tonight that when schools are closed due to weather, 12th Precinct postpones 1st Monday meetings to the following Monday. Looking forward to becoming a member!

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    The only rifle caliber allowed is 22 LR/L/S. 22 magnum and 17 are not, even though people shoot them there.

The rules are really fuzzy and not clearly written. I've told the president and VP they can't enforce rules that are not clearly stated. The range risks losing its waiver from the county by not clearly stating the rules on the Website and on the rules signs posted at the range, because members continue to shoot ammo prohibited by the waiver.
    Just to provide an update on this topic, I rec'd a new revised set of bylaws and articles of incorporation with my card last week. They were revised in Oct 2013.

The rules now clearly state that the only rimfire allowed is 22lr on the range. It also now shows no pistol caliber rifles, nor rifle caliber pistols are allowed on the pistol range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom