• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Hasn't 12th Precinct always been a primarily Traditional Bullseye specific Club ?

lowoncash

Baned
    Jan 4, 2010
    Calvert county
    Read the bylaws and understand how the clubs procedure works.
    First, was the motion proper? Can it be enacted as a motion or do the bylaws need to be changed which may be a different procedure? Some organizations require a bylaw change to be published and voted at the next meeting.
    Know how to change the motion per the bylaws. If they use Robert’s Rules of Order to change a motion I believe it is necessary to make a motion, publish the motion and vote at the next meeting. Otherwise a motion could become a back and forth at every meeting.
    Last, politic and line up enough votes before the meeting. That’s how politics work.
    Don’t underestimate the opposition. Know who they are and understand their sphere of influence.

Use the rule. They can be your friend if you know them.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    I rarely go to ranges because of stupid people. Either ignorance like this or the know it all guys that want to preach to you. I have lots of friends with farms we can shoot 100, 200 and 300 yards. Skeet shot in the farm or hay field and we each have foot press throwers. We can put up multiple birds at once. I have a 20 yards and working on a 40 yard pistol range at the house.

Costs less shooting and the beer is cheaper afterwards and no need to worry about driving home drunk. :D

tangodown in Hedgesville has been the most enjoyable one I have been too. Its just pay to play, when and if I wanted to show up.

Agree about TangoDown Range. I have a seasonal place about five miles from there and shoot now and then. It’s always been friendly and safe. Pay as you go works because I’m only there 6-7 months a year.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I haven't been to North American , what is their history and Club culture ? Has it been an all around gun club, or is it primarily hunting oriented ?

Meaning is this a sudden infiltration of shall we say sporting traditionalists , or has it always been that way, and newcomers are now wanting to do mag dumps ?

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I can't tell you much about the club culture as I really only joined to shoot. Most of the time when I'm there, I'm the only person on the range but once in a while there are one or two other people. I rarely see anyone else with the kind of rifles I shoot and I don't act like an idiot. Based on whet I'm hearing, there is a small group of old-timers who have been in the club since before electricity who are very active and think the club should be run by them. They like their shotguns and bolt actions and think more modern stuff shouldn't be on the range as it distracts them when they are shooting clay pigeons up on the shotgun range. I've had my fair share of run-ins with curmudgeons asking "Is that even legal?" (Yes sir, it is) or "Are you even hitting the target?" (Yes sir, I am) or "I saw enough of those AK's in Nam, I don't like seeing them now" Yep, I was told that.
    Another time, one of the old-timers, whom I'm told is the ring leader in the ten round crap, was at the pistol range with about five or six of his buddies on a Saturday or Sunday morning. They had .22 pistols and were doing more talking than shooting. The pistol range is right beside the rifle range. I showed up with something in 7.62x51 and proceeded to set up and started shooting. The next thing I know, dude is walking up to me and telling me that I'm interrupting their quiet morning and why did I need to make all that noise? I didn't know what to say.....I mean......it IS a shooting range. I told him as much and continued shooting. They sat down there and stared at me for a few minutes before leaving.
    I do go to the monthly meeting now and then but not often enough apparently. I guess I need to start going to every single meeting and getting vocal. I'd hate to have to quit the club but I'm not supporting this crap. They lost a HUGE number of members some years ago after they tried making people pay a bunch of extra yearly fees but that was before my time. The kind of mentality some of these old dudes have is dangerous to our rights so PLEASE, if you're reading this and you're a member, show up at this month's meeting and help me get things at the range back on track.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Read the bylaws and understand how the clubs procedure works.
    First, was the motion proper? Can it be enacted as a motion or do the bylaws need to be changed which may be a different procedure? Some organizations require a bylaw change to be published and voted at the next meeting.
    Know how to change the motion per the bylaws. If they use Robert’s Rules of Order to change a motion I believe it is necessary to make a motion, publish the motion and vote at the next meeting. Otherwise a motion could become a back and forth at every meeting.
    Last, politic and line up enough votes before the meeting. That’s how politics work.
    Don’t underestimate the opposition. Know who they are and understand their sphere of influence.

Use the rule. They can be your friend if you know them.

I can't tell you much about the club culture as I really only joined to shoot...

I do go to the monthly meeting now and then but not often enough apparently. I guess I need to start going to every single meeting and getting vocal...

PLEASE, if you're reading this and you're a member, show up at this month's meeting and help me get things at the range back on track.

You're getting the knack of fighting back.

You can't expect things to change immediately, either. Throwing a tantrum at the first meeting you attended in a while will not be a smart move. Permanent change takes time, determination and work. Attend meetings so the other members know your face and thoughts. And don't be a Richard about this; changing things is a process.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Chicanery at North American Rod and Gun in Hagerstown...

It's their Club & their Rules...

Quit or just Stay Away...

OR just go, shoot & have fun..?

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    It's not "their" rules. It's OUR rules as in ALL the club membership. I'm a member and I have a voice. I have a feeling there are many, many more voices like mine; we just need to get motivated.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Gun clubs are good , value added things . By all means become active, and network with like minded members .

That said , remember they are private clubs that happen to have a shooting range attached . Every Club dosen't necessarily accomodate or embrace every aspect of shooting . They cater to the wishes of their membership . Many clubs primarily focus on certain disciplines . 12th Precinct is primarily a one hand bullseye club. Metro Gun Club is a pure Trapshooting club, etc . Range Rules aren't laws , they're just Range Rules for a particular club .

By all means work for the changes you wish from within , but ultimately every Club isn't a perfect fit for every shooter .

BRIANtheBRAVE

Jun 20, 2013
    I AM A CURRENT MEMBER, AND THE ATTITUDE OF THE MAJORITY ON THE BOARD IS, IF IT'S NOT SHOTGUN THEN IT'S NO GUN. THEIR COMPLAINT IS PEOPLE FAST FIRING AT POSSIBLE NO TARGET IN FRONT OF THEM AND/OR BLASTING TO SMITHERINGS THE WOODEN TARGET FRAMES. SO WHATS TO STOP YOU FROM LOADING 10 ROUNDS IN A 16 ROUND MAG AND FIRING THEM IN 2 SECONDS ? NOTHING. THEY HAVE ACCOMPHISHED NOTHING EXCEPT PISSING MEMBERS OFF. SOME SAY THEY ARE TRYING TO SHUT THE CLUB DOWN, I AM STARTING TO BELIEVE IT. SPREAD THE WORD, SHOW UP ENMASS AND VOTE TO REPEAL THAT RULE.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    I always thought the rod and gun was just a VFW for non military folks, a place to tell war stories and gossip about your neighbors while eating cheap food.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    Every club I have ever been involved in has this issue.
    10% of the membership do 90% of the work.

If you want to effect change: Gather like minded members and get them elected to the board, have them show up for every meeting and vote as a group to effect the changes.

KenS

Roof Rack
    Aug 12, 2019
    Howard County
    Anyone know why they passed that rule? Anyone actually know the facts?

Seems to me the reasons a majorityof those present voted that way is needed before all the labeling and condemnation and insults are tossed around.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Chicanery at North American Rod and Gun in Hagerstown...

It's not "their" rules. It's OUR rules as in ALL the club membership. I'm a member and I have a voice. I have a feeling there are many, many more voices like mine; we just need to get motivated.

Gun Clubs are not a Democracy..?

They are run by an Elected Board of Directors...

The Board of Directors makes the rules that the members have to follow...

Go to all the meetings, go to all of the work parties, go to all their fund-raisers, then get Elected to the Board...

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Gun Clubs are not a Democracy..?

They are run by an Elected Board of Directors...

The Board of Directors makes the rules that the members have to follow...

Not at North American. The members present vote on new rules that they themselves come up with. The board isn't even allowed to vote on such matters.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I always thought the rod and gun was just a VFW for non military folks, a place to tell war stories and gossip about your neighbors while eating cheap food.

You would be wrong about that. It's a great club for the most part. The food is pretty good too. It's not gourmet but it's enjoyable with a beer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom