• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bucephalus

Aug 27, 2008
    What is the best, safe and environmentally friendly way to dispose of old smokeless powder? Thank you for your time and consideration.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Spread it lightly over your lawn, and water it in. Then, watch your lawn turn lush and green.

Seriously.

Treeguy

Jan 14, 2010
    Boonsboro
    I was reading about this in a book, it said no more then 1 inch thick, just spread it out and burn it. Use a trail of powder to light it

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Black powder is 75% KNO3, 15% sulfur, and 10% charcoal, and the KNO3 (Potassium nitrate) is basically fertilizer; smokeless powder, though, is mostly nitrocellulose, which is still also basically fertilizer. Different compounds - but good for growing plants with, either way.

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    Black powder gives of a more interesting whooooosh when lit and the potassium concentration is a little bit high for most plants. Works in small amounts for tomatos and peppers but not a really great fertilizer.
    Conclusion: light the BP

Nitrocellulose and other comparable powders consist of organic nitrogen compounds - great for growing plants and they break down slowly. If you have smokeless powder that you desperately need to get rid of, it is a fine fertilizer for most flowers.
    Conclusion: my banana plant got a real growth spurt after disposing of some powder from a few misfired rounds.

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    best way is to package it in brass, seal it with lead, and then ignite it in an appropriately engineered pressure vessel...:innocent0

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    ....just out of curiosity, are you sure that the powder is definitely bad? I have shot 70 year of ammo that functioned flawlessly. Unless the powder was subjected to extreme heat, or enough moisture to make it clump, it's probably good to go. Someone here might take it off your hands, if you have no need for it personally.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Spread it lightly over your lawn, and water it in. Then, watch your lawn turn lush and green.

Seriously.

Just make sure that no one who smokes is around that day you put the powder down.

"JIM, DON'T drop your butt on the lawn!!!" WHOOSH!!!

Seriously, the military has guidelines on how to dispose of all types or ordinance. The one manual I got many years back basically told you how to safely burn things.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    The only time I have ever dumped any powder was when I was a moron and accidentally mixed a bit of Bullseye with Unique when I wasn't thinking and started to empty my powder measure back into the cansister and I chose the wrong canister. While I probably could have continued to use it, I felt that discretion was the better part of valor, I spread it on my lawn and watered it in. It does work good as a fertilizer.

Regarding the shelf life of smokeless powder, it probably depends on the powder, but here's a quote regarding Alliant's Unique that I just read:

"Located in the Ballistics Laboratory of Alliant Powder is a jug of water which contains a batch of Unique powder that was produced in 1899. Periodically, a small sample is withdrawn, dried and test fired. After 102 years, it still meets the current specifications for Unique."

102 years old (actually, 111 years old at this point) and still firing correctly? Seems pretty long-lasting to me.

Unless it's showing obvious signs of not being good anymore I'd continue to use it.

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    ....just out of curiosity, are you sure that the powder is definitely bad?

Powder does not definately need to be bad to be disposed of. If you have misfires from surplus ammo, you do not know what kind of powder they have used in it and have no load data for it - so it is definately for the dump. Same for some of the stuff you find at gun shows - ever seen a can of powder that has layers of different shape and color and is being sold as milsurp?

Basically anything mixed, unknown or with a weird smell or texture is better disposed of than fired! Same counts for once-wet charges etc.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Powder does not definately need to be bad to be disposed of. If you have misfires from surplus ammo, you do not know what kind of powder they have used in it and have no load data for it - so it is definately for the dump. Same for some of the stuff you find at gun shows - ever seen a can of powder that has layers of different shape and color and is being sold as milsurp?

Basically anything mixed, unknown or with a weird smell or texture is better disposed of than fired! Same counts for once-wet charges etc.
    True - we don't currently know what the OP meant when he said "old smokeless powder" and I wouldn't use anything I wasn't certain of (meaning mixed, or unknown) either. That was why I dumped about 2/3 of pound of Unique (mixed with a bit of Bullseye) on my front lawn. But, if he's got powder that is 10 or more years old, but has been stored properly and he knows what it is, I'd have no qualms about using it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom