• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I have one in 9mm that I like a lot. I shoot it a bit more accurately than my other favorite semi-automatic pistols at the range. However, at least in 9mm, it is ammo sensitive and will have FTFs with some brands when using 115 gr rounds (less sensitive with 124 gr rounds). It also needs more cleaning and maintenance than my other semi-automatic pistols or will have FTF issues (every 500 rounds - so not bad).

Although it is a tad more accurate in my hands than my Sig P226 SAO Legion and Walther PPQs in 9mm when taking my time to shoot at the range, I shoot both of these latter handguns better in action shooting events, particularly the Sig P226. They are more reliable as well. Don't remember ever having a FTF and they get shot (or used to get shot) a lot.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Apr 8, 2012
    Earth
    I have one in 9mm that I like a lot. I shoot it a bit more accurately than my other favorite semi-automatic pistols at the range. However, at least in 9mm, it is ammo sensitive and will have FTFs with some brands when using 115 gr rounds (less sensitive with 124 gr rounds). It also needs more cleaning and maintenance than my other semi-automatic pistols or will have FTF issues (every 500 rounds - so not bad).

Although it is a tad more accurate in my hands than my Sig P226 SAO Legion and Walther PPQs in 9mm when taking my time to shoot at the range, I shoot both of these latter handguns better in action shooting events, particularly the Sig P226. They are more reliable as well. Don't remember ever having a FTF and they get shot (or used to get shot) a lot.

What mags have you tried with your 9mm 1911? I've always heard they were mag sensitive more so then ammo sensitive. Thx.

JimNorth

May 4, 2018
    The Cloud
    I use a Colt 1911 (45 ACP) with some improvements for IPSC and OEM magazine. In a thousand rounds or so of LSWC and FMJ, I've had one failure and it was recently. I believe it was a failure to feed which surprised me given the polished feed ramp. I don't recall which type of bullet it was although the image of factory ball comes to mind. That seems even more surprising.

I've ordered a variety of magazines to see if one works better than the others. If you like, I can let you know once I have new information.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    What mags have you tried with your 9mm 1911? I've always heard they were mag sensitive more so then ammo sensitive. Thx.
    I've used the Colt mags that come with the gun, TRP (? or a similar acronym), and Wilson Combat. The latter two take 10 rds, and the Colt ones take 9 rds. I did try to nail the issue down to a specific mag initially, but it wasn't consistent. Weaker powered 9mm 115 gr rounds were the least reliable with the different mags with maybe 1 FTF/FTE every 2-3 mags. It got worse as the round count increased without a cleaning (more than a bore snake). I've since been using MagTech or S&B 115 and 124 gr rounds relatively trouble free. Might have been Winchester and another brand (American Eagle?) 115 gr with which I had problems at the beginning.

Apr 8, 2012
    Earth
    I've used the Colt mags that come with the gun, TRP (? or a similar acronym), and Wilson Combat. The latter two take 10 rds, and the Colt ones take 9 rds. I did try to nail the issue down to a specific mag initially, but it wasn't consistent. Weaker powered 9mm 115 gr rounds were the least reliable with the different mags with maybe 1 FTF/FTE every 2-3 mags. It got worse as the round count increased without a cleaning (more than a bore snake). I've since been using MagTech or S&B 115 and 124 gr rounds relatively trouble free. Might have been Winchester and another brand (American Eagle?) 115 gr with which I had problems at the beginning.

Cool, thx. I’m contemplating a Colt 9mm 1911 myself and appreciate your data.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I have one that I won at last year's East Coast Steel Challenge Championship. Really wanted it in 9mm but it came in .45. So far not a single jam or misfeed with OTC ammo from WM. Sights are similar to my DW Bobtail Commander in 9mm. Only shot it in one bowling pin match so far and got down to 4s runs (5 pins from low ready). Might carry it some but the DW is much more concealable. Mine is the 2-tone model. Trigger is nice although not as good as my Israeli Bul M-5 or my STI Open gun. I added 3 CMC mags to the 2 Colt ones it came with.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    When it comes to 1911 platform magazines...genuine Colt, Wilson Combat and Chip McCormick Shooting Star (which has been purchased by Wilson Combat). They're the best, most reliable magazines you can find. There may be other brands that work (or not) but these three are the gold standard.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    If the pistol is set up right and the mag springs are strong the pistol should run with any reputable mag and ammo. I use Metalform 9 and 10 round, CMC, Mecgar, Kimber and Colt in my 1911 9mm steel pistol. They all work with Federal or Winchester bulk pack ammunition. I have run up to 147 grain JHP premium ammo as well with no issues. The aluminum cased ammo may hang up occasionally if the mag lips have not been deburred and polished.

Apr 8, 2012
    Earth
    I found a good deal on Gunbroker and splurged on a Colt Gold Cup Trophy in 9mm. From what I gathered, it's pretty similar to the competition model - just more bells and whistles. I mostly shoot Glocks in 9mm, but do shoot quite a bit of 1911's in .45 (they are my favorite range guns.) This is my 1st 9mm 1911 - JMB save me.

TL;DR - I like it, but I question if it's worth the cost.

I'm not a particularly good shot, so it's hard for me to gauge accuracy. I shoot it much more accurately then my Glock 34 with a Vogal trigger kit.

It's ammo sensitive - seems to likes PMC 115gr (400 rounds w/o failure), Federal AE in 124gr and 115gr (100 rounds each w/o failures), had 1 failure to go into battery out of 100 for Lawman 115gr, and 3-4 FTF/FTE per 100 Maxxtech 115gr (about 600 rounds total.) All these run fine in my Glocks. Mags were Tripp Cobra 10rd mags.

Fit is disappointing for the price. The thumb safety over travels when disengaged. Slide and grip safety rattles. This isn't my 1st Colt, so I wasn't surprised. But for something with its list price, I expected this model to be more refined. It also came with a regular thumb safety, rather then the extended one. Took Colt over a month to send me an extended one to install, but at least it was free. Filing and installing it was pretty easy. There are a couple of machining marks inside the frame that just seem sloppy to me.

Gun looks and shoots great though. I really like the undercut trigger guard and the front strap checkering. Mixed feelings about the big fiber optic up front - really easy to catch quickly, but at 15 yds, covers too much of the target. It's super soft shooting. Like shockingly so. This is particularly noticeable when shooting one-handed. Having been a Glock guy for years, I think I shoot them a little faster for the moment. But I can see getting faster with this guy after a few more sessions.

I'm going to run it in some IDPA matches to see how it does. I don't know if it'll replace my Glock 34, but I'm going to give it an honest try.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom