• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    I want to see if it's feasible to find places in the region (driving distance) to first practice for some CMP-format matches (I'm thinking the As-Issued Garand and Carbine since I have one of each) and then have a try at competing in them.

A friend of mine has found a couple of clubs in Jersey, of all places, that have the as-issued matches and, at one, vintage sniper matches - these sound excellent to me!

But where can a guy find ranges to practice on to 600 yards? I know this has come up before but I want to put that together with "where else can you find regional CMP (or CMP-format) matches without having to drive to NC or Talladega, etc?"

So, are there any actual options in the mid-Atlantic, or are we all just out of luck?

Thanks in advance!

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    You don't have to start out shooting "Across the Course" out to 600 yards.

John C Garand matches are all 200 yards, some shot at 100 with reduced targets. Lots of club level those around if you look: even more if you count similar Vintage style matches.

Keystone

May 29, 2009
    As others have said there are a lot of club level matches for C&R military rifles. A few that come to mind are:

• Sanners
    • Thurmont
    • Del Marva Sportsmans Assoc.
    • Fairfax Rod and Gun Club

Sometimes the format is not the exact CMP course of fire but any position shooting is good practice.

For the carbine and Garand matches you don’t need a 600 yd range. Carbine is 100yd, Garand is 200.

If you are a member of an AGC affiliated club you can practice to your heart’s content on the 200 yard range.

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    As others have said there are a lot of club level matches for C&R military rifles. A few that come to mind are:

• Sanners
    • Thurmont
    • Del Marva Sportsmans Assoc.
    • Fairfax Rod and Gun Club

Sometimes the format is not the exact CMP course of fire but any position shooting is good practice.

For the carbine and Garand matches you don’t need a 600 yd range. Carbine is 100yd, Garand is 200.

If you are a member of an AGC affiliated club you can practice to your heart’s content on the 200 yard range.

True stuff - the longer range stuff is more for my own desire to see what the Garand and I can do. Looks like I'm going to spring for an AGC range card soon, luckily the MSRPA got on the list for affiliation this year and I belong to that!

Being in MoCo, I think that's about the closest 200 yards I'll find. No?

s/f

Major03

Ultimate Member
    In Maryland, the AGC ranges are pretty hard to beat. The 200 yd line has butts and target caraiges and supports those kinds of events. I'm pretty sure some of their clubs host vintage matches like you describe. Reduced targets will do for practice (although you won't get to practice estimating and adjusting for wind at longer ranges).

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    Help!

I've lost my contact info for the member here who's active as an RSO at Quantico, and I'm hoping you notice this thread!!

Definitely going to get some rifle shooting at range done this year. MSRPA now qualifies me for a range badge at AGC, and if I can get down to Quantico a few times that would be fantastic.

Back to raising more threads from the dead - that seems to be a habit with me this year. Well, if it works, then I'll keep doing it.

s/f

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    If you are still looking for matches Southern Lancaster County Farmer Sportsmen's Association has them.

See this thread:
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=218631

And these links (matches are open to non members But verify with the match organizers):
    https://www.slcfsa.org/activities/cmp-rifle/

https://www.slcfsa.org/activities/cmp-sniper/

Well, that's a new one to me. A bit far from my place (Quantico is closer, and AGC closer than both) but for the more northern MDS'ers this might be a nice option. Looks like a nice set of facilities, and it sure is reasonably priced!

Dammit_Man

Jan 16, 2018
    There's going to be a high power clinic on the 23rd of March at Quantico. I got an email from the gentleman who runs the matches I go to. It says no registration is needed, but I haven't clarified if that includes non-members.

Most of the other shooters are Marines and members so I'm assuming I could tag along as a guest. It may be pertinent, may not, I just thought I'd throw it out there.

http://www.quanticoshootingclub.com/calendar-event/rifle-events

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom