• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I tell you I’m fired about at Atterbeary and Dumais and their line of thinking of “we’ll just introduce it again next year”. It is my personal mission to get a sit down with both of those gun grabbers and have a very blunt conversation with both of them about freedom and gov overreach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They couldn’t care less about your opinion.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Yet there are people here who continue to take a dump on the efforts of those on the front line. Forgive me, I’ve had enough of that nonsense.

That, and the "hey let me show how smart I am and publish a theory for everyone on how a specific non-banned gun could instead be considered banned" posts are a couple of my pet peeves.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Just read the MSI round-up on this session. Boy does it feel like Alice through the looking glass reading “big win” in the context of defeating anti-gun legislation in MD.

Thanks to MSI, PP, MSRPA, and other folks who gave up their time, stayed up late, took a vacation day or 2 to preserve our rights.

I donate $ and play keyboard commando with legislators, but that’s about it. I need to do better.

Don't downplay your efforts. Working the keyboard is an essential part of our INFO OP in the age of FB and Twatter. And you never know, yours could be the email or comment that turns the tide in our favor.

fc08d562647f30d6c09949d211b7d8944c6ffa7178673883b74185f3115a43a4.png

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    This has been the fact for every year (including 2013) that I have been involved in Annapolis and standing for our rights.

Why did I include 2013?? Because, over the course of a month, the 2A community worked tirelessly with the members of not one, but two committees that were assigned as a joint committee on SB281. In the end, we had come to an agreement that they would scuttle the bill and rewrite it to produce 7 different work groups to study the 7 different parts of the Maryland State Statutes that SB281 sought to change. Yes, you read that right, they were going to scuttle the original bill and do something that made common sense.

That is, until the night before the committee vote, an emergency caucus meeting was called by Busch, Miller, and O'Malley, at which point they threatened every Democrat on the joint committee with their committee appointments, and the loss of all discressionary funding for their respective districts if they did not vote and pass the bill.

The were give 10 amendments that could be made to the bill (I may still have a marked up version with the notes in the margins), and further, Mike Miller sat in on the voting session in the House. WTeverlovingF was Mike Miller doing sitting in on a House Joint Committee vote, along with O'Malley sitting in the back room of the committee room.

No, they have no real appetite for this, unless it pushed by leadership and they are told, or threatened to vote for it.

We showed up in numbers never seen before, and while the Senate blew us off, the House certainly didn't. But since everyone figured that "numbers don't count for squat" after SB281 got passed, our numbers in Annapolis suffered over the last couple of years. This was the first year that more than the "die hards" have shown up and testified. We need to get those same folks back next year and have them bring friends.

And one other thing, the difference between us and the MOMs/MDPGV crew...Everyone that supports the 2A that shows up in Annapolis pretty much testifies, and we stay until the end. The opposition show up with their numbers (bussed in), have their two or three talking heads "testify" and then they all leave.

Thanks for repeating these facts because I remember how it all went down and the bill nearly sank. The final product was better than the first version and people forget how bad it was to start. Anything passing is a loss but a lot of hard work by people preserved far more than they realize.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Nothing that I am aware of other than under Miller and Busch, they were quite adept at keeping their party in lockstep, and this was the first time there had been any major "revolt" against any bill submitted by "The Governor of their party". That to them was unconscionable.

Never forget Mike Miller's infamous letter where he said there would be no more gun control on his watch. That guy is a pure weathervane.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    What are your thoughts on the future now that Busch is no longer a factor? Is there anyone that can replace him that will have as strong an influence?

Short answer, no.

I feel like this might not be the case (but I've only been in MD for 7 or 8 years now) given the sheer length of tenure Busch had within the MGA. Do they have anyone that can force the Dems to march lockstep in the future?

Nope.

Or is there a chance for outliers to split off on disastrous bills like the FSA2013?

I don't think there will be enough "outliers" to make an FSA2013 like move if the Dems split. One thing is for sure, the power vacuum that was left by the passing of Busch is HUGE. The ensuing fight for his position will be a shitshow for sure, and regardless of who ends up as Speaker, I highly doubt they will have the ability to hold the caucus together in lockstep like he did.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I tell you I’m fired about at Atterbeary and Dumais and their line of thinking of “we’ll just introduce it again next year”. It is my personal mission to get a sit down with both of those gun grabbers and have a very blunt conversation with both of them about freedom and gov overreach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every chance we get to stick the tip of the knife (not the whole thing mind you) and twist it a little bit, would only piss them off more and make them make further, and hopefully larger, mistakes. Folks, it is time to sit down and discuss Alinsky, and putting his play book into action.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    One thing is for sure, the power vacuum that was left by the passing of Busch is HUGE. The ensuing fight for his position will be a shitshow for sure, and regardless of who ends up as Speaker, I highly doubt they will have the ability to hold the caucus together in lockstep like he did.

At a minimum, you'll see two factions constantly fighting for advantage over the other on the D side. Progressives and Liberals are not the same, and after the last presidential primary, they've really come to despise each other. MGA may come to look more like a parliament, with shifting coalitions actually giving Rs some power because they become the deciding votes even if they're in the minority.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    That's not even speculation. Replacements are picked in some opaque central committee process reminiscent of the USSR. Its bizarre.

Not really, given that there hasn't been any real opposition to Busch in quite some time, there was no plan for a successor. They will mourn him, and the day after they pile dirt on him, they will start sniping at each other over who should take his position. Guarantee that whoever it is, they WILL NOT have any where near the political power that Busch did, nor the respect that he carried.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Thanks for repeating these facts because I remember how it all went down and the bill nearly sank. The final product was better than the first version and people forget how bad it was to start. Anything passing is a loss but a lot of hard work by people preserved far more than they realize.

No problem, I feel it bears repeating every time someone points out how we "failed" in 2013, when in fact we were successful enough that they not only had to cheat to get their bill passed but they had to threaten members of their own party to do so.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    At a minimum, you'll see two factions constantly fighting for advantage over the other on the D side. Progressives and Liberals are not the same, and after the last presidential primary, they've really come to despise each other. MGA may come to look more like a parliament, with shifting coalitions actually giving Rs some power because they become the deciding votes even if they're in the minority.

At a minimum we will see this, then throw in the various caucuses and it gets even more fun to watch.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    I would like to invite Del Atterbeary to be my guest at the AGC one day. I'd start her off with a bolt action .22LR with a TRS25 red dot at 25 yds. When she seems to be running out of ammo faster than I can load the mags, we'll stroll over to the pistol range with my Buckmark at 10 yds. After some instruction, my wife shows up and suggests a competition: winner buys the loser a range badge. With fun having been had, the Delegate is now set up with a range badge too! Del Atterbeary switches parties the next day and gives all of her Bloomberg money to the GOA. Winning for the 2A, one at a time. Oh, and then I wake up.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    There will be no personality to keep the caucus together, but that might mean ideology keeps them together. That concerns me.

I strongly suspect Miller won't be there next year either.

I really don't think so, Busch and Miller had to work harder in the last legislative term (2014-2018) to keep the freshman legislators in line and in sync with the party, even when their progressive principle didn't jive with what the liberal leaders wanted. Now that one of those leaders is gone, that gap wil open right up and become more evident, and I believe it will become a new tool for us to use starting as soon as next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom