• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Once it passes 3rd reader in the House, it moves over to the Senate, where it goes through the same basic process over there:

If a bill passes 3rd reader in the second house of the legislature, it is considered passed and goes to the Governor's desk, for him to act on.

What happens if the 2nd house amends the bill in committee or 2nd reader so it's different than what the 1st house passed? What is the reconciliation procedure?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Since I don't choose to be a victim, I often take firearms training. A topic from one of the classes that I took was, how fast do you need to be able to draw your weapon, should you have to do so in order to save your life. The answer? If it is not already drawn, it is easy to lose your life. They showed the video linked below. The short story is, cops don't randomly shoot people. They sometimes shoot when, after everyone has had enough sleep and armchair-quarterbacked the video 14 or 16 times, it turns out that they shouldn't have.

Police work pretty much focused where they are needed the most, in high-crime areas, so they have a greater than average chance of interacting with folks intent on doing them harm. From the video, it is pretty easy to see how easy it is to be shot by what appears to be a cooperative suspect.

Police are in a tough spot. The last thing we need is for them to be second-guessing whether to act. We need look no further than what happened to the crime rate after Freddy Gray, but I digress. And we also need to consider that the cell phone videos almost never show what happened to escalate the situation.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpAfZLp8oDE

I have great respect for cops, but just like any other profession, there are good ones and bad ones. The bad ones rarely suffer consequences if their actions. And there are plenty of times it is clear that their actions were wrong or the officer’s actions, against training (or no training) escalated the situation rather than diffused it or were neutral.

Obviously this is uncommon or there’d be hundreds of people killed by cops daily. But if you look at financial settlements for wrongful deaths, there are hundreds of them across the US per year. Prosecutions fewer, because prosecutors give officers the benefit of the doubt, judges do too and so do juries (or at least a sufficient number of the populace to prevent a guilty verdict).

But with the lower standard that civil cases require, most cities and counties can objectively look at a case and see when they have a reasonable chance of winning or not and choose to settle for millions of dollars in many cases. I assume they aren’t doing that because their attorneys are lazy.

There sure are cases that are arm chair quarterbacked to the nines. Hell, let’s be honest ALL police shooting cases are. But in many of those cases the arm chair quarterbacks end up being right (I’d consider a few hundred a year out of 4000 (I think that is the number) or so police involved shootings a lot).

But an officer doing the wrong thing or being responsible for a situation ending in a police shooting doesn’t rise to the level of criminality in many cases. At least not convictable. You generally have to show absolutely clear and convincing evidence the officer went in there intending to kill the victim. Like shooting them in the back as they are running away obviously unarmed with no one else around.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Maryland lawmakers. They double-down on gun control, putting the lives of lawful citizens at risk, and fail to punish bona fide criminals. One of just eight states that is not "shall issue" or constitutional carry, it's largest city leads the nation in per capita homicides.

I read that the New Zealand shooter shot about 35 people before being confronted by and stopped, at least temporarily, by an unarmed man. Then the shooter went to another mosque and shot just 5 people before being confronted by a good guy with a gun. If only the shooter had gone to that mosque first.....

I'm going to make a list of mass killings perpetrated in gun-free zones, that could have been stopped by a concealed carrier. From the top of my head until I can do more research: Columbine, Sandy Hook Elementary, Umpuah Community College, Virginia Tech, San Bernardino Inland Center, Pulse nightclub, Thousand Oaks bar, South Charleston Church, Sugarland TX church, Parkland, Aurora CO, Capital Gazette (where the cops showed-up in ONE MINUTE yet still 5 people were shot!).

All of these places were gun-free zones where a good guy with a gun could have stopped mass murder (actually, a good guy with an AR-15 did stop the Sugarland church shooter, but after he left). Of course that does not even take into account that the killings might have not even started if the perpetrator knew that someone might shoot back.

Criminals will always have guns. It's past time for our lawmakers to acknowledge that, and for them to also acknowledge that the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun. The number of people that get killed is directly proportional to the time between when those two types of people meet.

Seems to be the other way around. He shot and killed 5 people at the first mosque before being confronted by an unarmed man who threw a credit card reader at him, he dropped his shotgun and ran back to his car for another gun and the unarmed guy picked up the shotgun, tried to shoot the perp and found it empty and threw the shotgun through the perps car window. At which point the killer drove off to the next mosque where he killed 40+ more.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Good post AOB...

On TV, it is stunning to see the number of young people at Johns Hopkins who are adamantly opposed to Johns Hopkins standing up its own police force.

The Young Snowflakes actually say that since cops regularly kill people without cause, their lives are in immediate danger

Last week, while I was attending gun bill hearing, this crew was outside on the sidewalk beating and kicking on a House Building "legislator" door while yelling and screaming at the top of their lungs "NO JUSTICE, NO PEACE!!"

When I enquired what all the door kicking and chanting was about, one group member told me: JHU Police Force.

The second pic is the group's allies videoing the door kicking.
    Huh, would be interesting media optics to get some people protesting against the Bloomberg sponsored security legislation wearing MDA or Everytown t-shirts ... the kids want security on campus ... they just don't want them armed.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

F5guy

Mar 27, 2013
    Annapolis
    Can someone update me on where we are on Sunday hunting. I heard it was dead ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    What happens if the 2nd house amends the bill in committee or 2nd reader so it's different than what the 1st house passed? What is the reconciliation procedure?

It goes back to the house of origination for them to vote on accepting the amendments. If they do not accept all of the amendments, then it goes to conference committee. 6 members, 3 from each house, appointed by the Speaker and the President.

Once the bill is hashed out, it is then returned to both houses to be voted on. If it approved by both houses then it goes to the Governor.

I believe it goes to a committee to resolve the differences

Correct. Once the committee agrees to the final bill (assuming they do) the committee agreed Bill then goes back to both houses for another vote.

Bert and Lazarus, you both missed the first step as noted above. But you guys have the gist of it.

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    If this bill becomes law, we will need a dealer and at least 4 individual plaintiffs. A dealer who says (accurately) that he can't legally perform a NICS check for a private sale and two groups of people (a buyer and and seller) who say they want to buy/sell a long gun and went to a dealer and the dealer refused... Names and contact info please. MSI will also be a plainitiff. Please send directly to me mpennak@marylandshallissue.org

I think I'll send $50.00 to assist.

I'm in if I can assist.

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD

After reading the article, it mentions a loophole in the law. It said people could go out of state an buy rifles and shotguns without a background check. Isn't that already against federal law? Anyone want to email the author and tell her?

Edit: I sent her an email of the BATF frequently asked questions regarding out of state sales.

2. May I lawfully transfer a firearm to a friend who resides in a different State? Under Federal law, an unlicensed individual is prohibited from transferring a firearm to an individual who does not reside in the State where the transferee resides. Generally, for a person to lawfully transfer a firearm to an unlicensed person who resides out of State, the firearm must be shipped to a Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) within the recipient’s State of residence. He or she may then receive the firearm from the FFL upon completion of an ATF Form 4473 and a NICS background check. More information can be obtained on the ATF website at www.atf.gov and http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html. The GCA provides an exception from this prohibition for temporary loans or rentals of firearms for lawful sporting purposes. Thus, for example, a friend visiting you may borrow a firearm from you to go hunting. Another exception is provided for transfers of firearms to nonresidents to carry out a lawful bequest or acquisition by intestate succession. This exception would authorize the transfer of a firearm to a nonresident who inherits a firearm under the will of a decedent. See 18 U.S.C. 922(a)(5).

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    After reading the article, it mentions a loophole in the law. It said people could go out of state an buy rifles and shotguns without a background check. Isn't that already against federal law? Anyone want to email the author and tell her?

It is against federal law. And yes, the good delegate has been told. And no, I don't think she understands.

jefflac02

Dec 28, 2016
    Very little. Perhaps a deposition, but unlikely

I will speak with my LGS on Monday and see what they say. They’re as good as it gets so if they aren’t able, we would definitely be willing. They, like me are not happy with the way MD treats anyone who has a firearm related hobby. I also messaged on twitter so whenever responds there can ignore me, since I’m posting here.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Other states like NY force privates sales to go through NICS background check. FFLs charge a nominal fee. ATF guidance allows it. In fact not only to they allow it, they "encourage" it. https://www.atf.gov/file/56331/download. There are even codes for it in the system: https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2...em-now-has-classifications-for-private-sales/

Frankly I dont think we should be wasting much time on the amended bill, they stripped out most everything. We should be spending time drumming up support for eliminating the ridiculous G&S process.

jefflac02

Dec 28, 2016
    I politely disagree. Until it is signed into law, we need to fight it as hard as we can. They want these infringements, as bad as we wanted some lovin’ back as high schoolers. Just the tip, when all of us know that’s not all
    We wanted. The Dems are the same way.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I politely disagree. Until it is signed into law, we need to fight it as hard as we can. They want these infringements, as bad as we wanted some lovin’ back as high schoolers. Just the tip, when all of us know that’s not all
    We wanted. The Dems are the same way.

Maybe they want infringements, or maybe they simply want us distracted and divided, pouring all our energy in the wrong place. Time and energy is finite, and this is not the prize. Are some people fighting for things like removing wear and carry restrictions as hard as they are fighting against this? I am not so sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom