• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    I think if criminals were going to use silencers they would use them now. Silencers are simple to make, yet criminals don't make them. I think criminals care more about getting in and out, concealing the gun on their person. It's much harder to conceal a gun with a silencer on it. That's why long guns are rarely used in crime, you can't take one down the street unnoticed.

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    I think if criminals were going to use silencers they would use them now. Silencers are simple to make, yet criminals don't make them. I think criminals care more about getting in and out, concealing the gun on their person. It's much harder to conceal a gun with a silencer on it. That's why long guns are rarely used in crime, you can't take one down the street unnoticed.

I don't know. I read a very informed article about how suppressors make guns more dangerous. They conceal the location of the shooter so no one knows that there is a shooting going on. Because not only do they suppress sound, they also suppress flash. Imagine the terror that could be caused at night by someone with a suppressed rifle with thermal imaging and night vision devices. Mass shootings would go through the roof. I mean someone could lay in the streets dead for days before anyone realizes that someone had been shot. :sarcasm:

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I don't know. I read a very informed article about how suppressors make guns more dangerous. They conceal the location of the shooter so no one knows that there is a shooting going on. Because not only do they suppress sound, they also suppress flash. Imagine the terror that could be caused at night by someone with a suppressed rifle with thermal imaging and night vision devices. Mass shootings would go through the roof. I mean someone could lay in the streets dead for days before anyone realizes that someone had been shot. :sarcasm:

You have to look for the stream of pee that's running down the sidewalk.

A clear indication of whether someone is dead or just drunk and passed out in public.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    But the MGA loves the hood rats and doesn't want to punish them.

Suppressors would make it easier to commit crimes. Which means no getting caught. Which means no punishment.

This may fly in Maryland after all.

My fear is if supressors are removed from NFA, whether it is over the counter NICS check or completely unregulated that MGA will move to restrict them or just ban them. With everything I have going on, money is tight. I am in the same camp as everyone else waiting to buy a supressor to see if the safe hearing act passes. But I am really probably waiting 3-4 years before dropping money on a supressor. If MGA moves agains them I'll find a way to pay for at least 2-3 inexpensive ones that can be rebuilt for long life. Minimum is .223, .308 and probably a .45 so that I can run across many platforms.

Oh and as much as I'd love to see GCA rolled back or loosened up, I think the absolutely best we might see are supressors removed from NFA. Maybe some other things might get loosened up, like SBR rules and stuff, but I good little hope there. No chance in heck for full auto construction for resale being legalized, even if they stay NFA.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

I think I read the same article. Was it the one that was mentioning how supressors are actually more dangerous for hunting because if non-hunters can't hear the gun shots they won't know to avoid the area?

Oh and that guns aren't a health threat to hearing because they don't cause hearing loss.

I've heard some stupid arguments on guns from the liberal fringe, but frankly reading the anti-supressor crap has actually made my IQ go down. Even years ago when I was on the fence on pro/anti-gun I wasn't stupid enough to think supressors were a bad thing or believe they were some James Bond miracle device.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Sorry if this is a dupe, but just read on TFB that there's a leaked ATF white-paper where they may be discussing (internally) some of this:

Allow/facilitating gunshow-only dealers to apply for an Federal Firearms License
    Reform the process of classifying ammunition as “armor piercing handgun ammunition” to allow manufacturers to produce new armor-piercing rifle ammunition while maintaining the exemption for SS109/M855, as well as an acknowledgement that many rounds not classified as “armor piercing” will still penetrate body armor.
    Work with the State Department and Trump Administration to import surplus C&R US service arms for sale to the American public.
    Allow greater flexibility to the ATF to grant FFL/SOTs permission to transfer post-86 machine guns to other FFL/SOTs working for DoD agents and in the film industry.
    Remove the clause in the pistol stabilizing brace (PSB) ruling that lists shouldering the brace as an NFA violation.
    Revise the “sporting purpose” wording to accommodate so-called “Modern Sporting Rifles” within that category.
    Create a database of easily accessible and understood firearms regulations and rulings.
    Consider reclassifying silencers as non-NFA items, revising the definition of “silencer”.
    Allow FFLs to transfer firearms out-of-state (such as at gun shows in a neighboring state).
    Discuss changing Destructive Device rulings to better differentiate between launchers and munitions (e.g. by allowing manufacturers to register whole lots of munitions as DDs, rather than the individual munitions).
    Change the Demand Letter 2 (DL2) requirement to a number between 10 and 25 firearms (15 suggested), from the current 10.
    Eliminate Demand Letter 3.
    Review and possibly discard the current proposal to have FFLs retain records indefinitely, from the current regulation of 20 years.
    Allow FFLs to run NICS checks on potential employees.
    Push for a Presidentially-nominated, Senate-confirmed ATF Director.
    Remove or amend old, obsolete regulations like the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    What does an inner city criminal having a suppressor mean?

Less noise pollution at night?

Not like crimes are solved due to the noise.

Also, suppressors make handguns much longer and more unwieldy. Much harder to hide in the pocket of your hoodie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom