• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Maxx

Apr 4, 2009
    Which caliber would a "silencer" have the most noise reduction effect on with normal HD type rounds?

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    9mm subsonics suppress better than any other serious defensive round

a good set-up ( Host, can and ammo) can result in something like < 120 db. That is in the realm of a suppressed 22LR.

Last edited:
    Yes, but .480"-.500" is a BIG hole for lots of noise to come out of on a pistol-sized suppressor. And 45's burn larger powder charges, and thus create more gas volume than 9mm's with smaller powder charges. 9mm subsonic ammo is widely available, so finding it (or loading it yourself) isn't an issue. For a suppressed pistol, 9mm subsonic will almost always be quieter than a .45.

Now, on a rifle-sized can, like an intergral suppressed carbine, the .45 would be the way to go, since you've got much more barrel and suppressor to soak up all that gas created during firing, and more room inside to slow those gasses and noises down before they get to the end of the can.

lilgibby

"man gotta have a code."
    Sep 17, 2011
    Elkton
    he said "have the most noise reduction effect on with NORMAL HD type rounds?" that would be the .45...

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    he said "have the most noise reduction effect on with NORMAL HD type rounds?" that would be the .45...

A "normal" 9mm HD round is a 147gr Speer Gold Dot, which is subsonic and most shops carry it. It will have lower suppressed db numbers than any HD 45acp round. As mudskipper already mentioned, the opening of the suppressor at the end of a 45acp suppressor is considerably larger than that of a 9mm. This allows more gas to escape, which in turn creates a louder report.

Ask me how I know.........hint below.

IMAG0124-1.jpg

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    the .45 bc its all ready sub sonic the 9mm has to use special ammo.

You're kidding right, special ammo? All 147gr and above 9mm is subsonic. I happen to load my own, but finding 147gr or even 158gr 9mm ammo is extremely easy. This is a perfect example where if you don't know the facts, you shouldnt respond with heresay and second hand info. You mind me asking if you own a suppressor?

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    You're kidding right, special ammo? All 147gr and above 9mm is subsonic. I happen to load my own, but finding 147gr or even 158gr 9mm ammo is extremely easy. This is a perfect example where if you don't know the facts, you shouldnt respond with heresay and second hand info. You mind me asking if you own a suppressor?

I have been saying that the 9mm suppresses better than the 45 ACP for years. Those that have experience with both can attest to that.

Unless.. Its a delisle 45ACP carbine. Now, that is quiet

Mega

Wolverine
    Feb 18, 2009
    Lewes, DE
    C'mon now... give the guy a break. Dont hate, but educate:D

No hating here. It's what I use in my 9mm suppressed AR.
    That same can also goes on my M&P9 when I shoot suppressed.
    Same ammo too.

web.jpg

So yea. I do have first hand knowledge. ;)

Maxx

Apr 4, 2009
    I'm glad that I asked, I have both caliber guns and I would only be able to afford just one "can" I'm leaning towards the 9mm. Thanks gentlemen!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom