Remington (U.S.) Model 1863 Zouave (Repro)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nov 19, 2015
    Carney
    I picked this beautiful Zouave Repro up yesterday at the Timonium Show. I've been looking for one for a couple of months and finally saw one in the flesh so I had to pick it up.

Also in the picture is my CVA 1861 Colt Kit Revolver.

Now I just need to convince my wife to sew me a Zouave Uniform :D

oG93ZWd.jpg

JQLPdMT.jpg

tSdA0t0.jpg

I need to get replacement swivel slings for it and a bayonet, I think these will work but wanted to know if anyone had any first hand knowledge with that.

Thanks!

Oddway Otts

Mar 17, 2008
    Harford County
    Looks great.

I have a Antonio Zolle Zouave that I used in re-enaction many (many) years ago. :D I got a lot of guff from sticklers because the Zouave rifles were allegedly never issued during the war.:envy: So, I filled the patch box, stained the barrel bands, and Volla! :lol2: A Fayetteville (yes, I was a Confederate).:sad20:

Bye the way, a patched marble & 25 grains of 3F will put that marble through a 2 inch pine board at 50-75 feet.:party29:

Nov 19, 2015
    Carney
    Looks great.

I have a Antonio Zolle Zouave that I used in re-enaction many (many) years ago. :D I got a lot of guff from sticklers because the Zouave rifles were allegedly never issued during the war.:envy: So, I filled the patch box, stained the barrel bands, and Volla! :lol2: A Fayetteville (yes, I was a Confederate).:sad20:

improvise-adapt-overcome-34515071.png

That's awesome, thanks for the load advise, I'll have to try that out :thumbsup:

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Do not shoot freaking marbles out of a rifle. Why would an adult do that?

Zouaves are good shooters with minie balls, and are popular with skirmishers. Skirmishers (N-SSA) are SHOOTERS, not reenactors, and generally more interested in how a gun shoots than in strict historical accuracy.

The original soldiers known as Zouaves were patterned after the French North African colonial troops. Among their specialties was the ability to load and fire from the prone position, which is not easy with a muzzleloader.

Nov 19, 2015
    Carney
    Do not shoot freaking marbles out of a rifle. Why would an adult do that?

Wait, I though he meant a round ball and not a minie ball, at least that's how I read it...is shooting glass marbles out of muzzleloaders a thing?

Why would someone do that? I have so many questions now...

Oddway Otts

Mar 17, 2008
    Harford County
    Wait, I though he meant a round ball and not a minie ball, at least that's how I read it...is shooting glass marbles out of muzzleloaders a thing?

Why would someone do that? I have so many questions now...

Well, one shoots glass marbles because one can. The ones in spray paint cans were the best (most cans now have ball bearing agitators), cat's eyes were often too big.

But again, why? Well, they're cheaper than lead, more eco-friendly than lead, much, much shorter ranged, especially should one miss or if one sends a flyer, much quieter, need much less of a back-stop, and a heavy felt patch protects the barrel. In a dirt berm or log, they generally stay intact. I never experienced a ricochet (they vaporize).

Although I haven't shot any in a while, I consider them to be the frangible, quiet, musket practice round. ;)

Oh, and so nobody gets their panties in a bunch about glass in the woods, most shooting was done in an old dump, where kids and adults shot cans & bottles with everything from BB guns, 22s, 30-30s to muskets for decades. :gun2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom