• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    There are a LOT of good gun stores in this area. And there are a lot of good IPs on the forum.

One thing that cheeses me off, is the "good ol' boys" hanging in the store, occupying the help, which leads to customers being ignored. I have walked out of so many stores on that fact alone. And many of them are IPs here.

If you want to understand "good" customer service, a trip to Engage or Hafers would help.

I think being a IP here is a good idea, but you will need to be constantly updating the forum page with dialog about available guns, services etc. Take a look at the IP page. More than half of them are "dead". They don't have the ferocity of the successful IPs, who keep a steady dialog going at all times.

Finally, your pricing has to be such that people feel it's a "good thing" to deal with you. There are SO MANY ways to buy guns cheaply these days. Brick and mortar doesn't always make sense.

So pretty much have told you what you likely already know. :rolleyes:

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    My partner and I are planing to open a gun store in Germantown / Gaithersburg area. I am interested to see if this will be well received in the forum community and if there are any recommendations people would be willing to share.

Need to give a lot more information to give input. Like:

Storefront or residence with hours

What class license

What type product (long guns, handguns, ammo,

Full time or hobby

And as stated, get IP status, more credibility. Good luck

There are a LOT of good gun stores in this area. And there are a lot of good IPs on the forum.

One thing that cheeses me off, is the "good ol' boys" hanging in the store, occupying the help, which leads to customers being ignored. I have walked out of so many stores on that fact alone. And many of them are IPs here.

If you want to understand "good" customer service, a trip to Engage or Hafers would help.

I think being a IP here is a good idea, but you will need to be constantly updating the forum page with dialog about available guns, services etc. Take a look at the IP page. More than half of them are "dead". They don't have the ferocity of the successful IPs, who keep a steady dialog going at all times.

Finally, your pricing has to be such that people feel it's a "good thing" to deal with you. There are SO MANY ways to buy guns cheaply these days. Brick and mortar doesn't always make sense.

So pretty much have told you what you likely already know. :rolleyes:

This is paramount to me. Most, if not all of us, have encountered this at least once.
    My best advice is to greet everyone as soon as they walk in. We all understand there is someone in front of us, but not even being acknowledged after 15 minutes is really frustrating.
    "I'll be with you as soon as I finish with this customer" will get me to browse or stand around for a solid 30 minutes without getting frustrated.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    If you really want to differentiate yourselves from other MoCo dealers I strongly encourage you to carry reloading supplies, poweder, bullets, cases etc.... Currently us reloaders have to go to AA or Charles county to obtain powders/bullets.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I agree; when I started with guns as an adult going for my CCW, it was intimadating. I don't come from a family of gun enthusiasts.

Gun shops tend to talk their own lingo.

I started out buying online but I try to buy locally when to makes sense. For example, a couple of moths ago I went to buy another 357. I knew what I wanted and the dealer had it in stock. When I said "you know I can buy this at Bud's for a couple of hundred less", rather than telling me the advantages of buying from him, he blew me off with "Bud's doesn't have rent!" and stormed off. He lost a customer for life.

My suggestion; treat everyone with respect and as a potential customer for life - speak their language, gain their trust.

Good luck!

The price difference is because of his overhead for rent, electricity, payroll, price from the distributor, etc... He was within his rights to say that. Most gun shops don't turn the profit that you think they do. Acting like a douche in saying that XYZ online has it for X less, is the same as saying you are wasting the owner/employees time, because you aren't there to actually buy. I've seen people kicked out of a store and banned for acting like you did. Maybe you should just keep buying everything online and paying transfer fees, because you don't know how to interact properly with a B&M store owner/employee.

If you had said to the guy that you found it at XYZ for X, would he be willing to cut you a deal on his gun for paying in cash, it is up to the guy behind the counter to come down a bit or not. I have seen something that I know I can get from Bud's for cheaper, but I asked if there was a cash discount. Half the time I was given 10-20% off the listed price for doing cash purchase. The other half of the time, I was told no. Yet I never mentioned that I can buy it online for cheaper. Think like you are running a business and you'll start seeing what you can and can't do to get a lower price.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    Don't set your transfer fees too high, you will find that you will pick up more foot traffic and regular customers by doing transfers for people buying online. They will have to make at least one visit to pick up a non-regulated firearm and two visits if it's regulated. This puts people in your store, where they will be looking at your inventory.
    I bought 2 of my last 3 handguns because of this. I bought a long gun off GB, when I went to pick it up, the shop had handgun I liked, so I bought it. Then when I went to pick that one up, they had another one I liked, so I bought that one. So they generated two more sales, off just having a reasonable transfer fee.

Good luck, and I will be sure to drop in once you are open.
    :thumbsup:

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    If you really want to differentiate yourselves from other MoCo dealers I strongly encourage you to carry reloading supplies, poweder, bullets, cases etc.... Currently us reloaders have to go to AA or Charles county to obtain powders/bullets.

This, this and this. It seems as if no one wants to carry powder any longer and no one wants to carry black powder and BP substitutes in particular.

Bullets and cases don't have a HAZMAT fee so they are usually easy to obtain on line, powder, not so much. Especially since the limitations make it impossible to save on the hazmat by buying in bulk (not to mention they endanger the health and safety of reloaders and those in proximity to them).

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I need a place around here that sells stripped lowers for ~$65. Do that, and be open in the evening, and I'll be there at least twice. :)

That said, you are going to be facing a _lot_ of competition from UGS and Engage, both of whom are pretty good shops.

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    Carry or be able to deal in gun security products and not just one name brand

psucobra96

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2011
    I’d like to see some more C&R stuff on the shelves, we don’t see much of that anymore from current stores.

kyserthehun

Jul 24, 2016
    I need a place around here that sells stripped lowers for ~$65. Do that, and be open in the evening, and I'll be there at least twice. :)

That said, you are going to be facing a _lot_ of competition from UGS and Engage, both of whom are pretty good shops.

I've bought two Andersons from Freestate for $60 in the past couple months.

altima98

Apr 6, 2008
    Hmm please don't open one in Germantown, I can smell the plastic during in my wallet....

kidding aside please do transfers

Shooting for the moon, but 100 yard indoor range...:D

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    We can always use another one. Mainly, friendly!
    Transfers and special order-friendly please! I'd drive up there, my childhood home, just to do business with nice people.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom