Pistol caliber carbine in a rifle class?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    I am thinking of (finally) getting some formal training after shooting and assembling/modifying firearms for the past few years. Pistol classes make sense as-is, but I was looking at the NRA Basic Rifle Shooting Course or equivalent, and was wondering what's optimal to use for it.

I have an AR that runs perfectly well and would normally have thought that would be what I'd go in with... But I bought a CZ Scorpion Evo III 16" recently and have had a GREAT time with it. Do the NRA rifle courses cover stuff that would be unrealizable with a 9mm carbine - distances >100m, really tight groups >50m, etc.? Would I be wasting my time if I showed up with the Scorpion? It's a firearm I expect to keep indefinitely, and thinking of getting a second one to make it my first SBR, so it's likely there will be plenty of trigger time on it in the future.

EKing

NRA Benefactor
    Aug 12, 2016
    Sykesville
    If you already know how to safely use a rifle, any rifle, you may find the NRA Basic Rifle course to be less than desirable.
    If you are interested in learning more about firearms and meeting good people then go for it...you will almost certainly learn something new and come away with a better appreciation of your rifle.
    Or, you can just join Arlington Rifle and Pistol Club at the AGC and meet some awesome people who will let you shoot every rifle they own and along the way teach you a lot. Shameless plug, I know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom