• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    Yeah, that was the only problem rd. & the dud had a good dimple in the primer. I'm thinking I may have left too much oil in one of the times I cleaned it. Yes I keep it pointed down range for 20 - 30 sec. before I ejected it. AGC just has a bucket for duds.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    This is why you want a double-barreled shotgun for HD. If the first round goes click, the second round is ready to go and the first round is still pointed at the target if it hang fires.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    I mean what are the odds of the round cooking off? That is, it going off after ejecting the round?

After ejecting the bad round, it presents very little danger.

A cartidge is only seriously dangerous when it is in an environment where the pressure from the charge can push the bullet only one direction; down the barrel.

Should a round actually ignite without anything to contain the pressure, the charge goes in every available direction thus reducing its power significantly.

So the odds of a "hang fire" are pretty slim anyway, and couple that with the fact I explained above and the chances of danger are very slim.

In a high stakes situation, like where you had to defend yourself with your firearm, the last thing you give concern to is a bad round being ejected. :innocent0

Now....if you have a misfire at the range, keep the gun pointed downrange, ready to fire for 30 seconds. Any hangfire (where the cartridge doesn't immediately ignite) will occur in 30 seconds or less. If no boom, then simply eject the round and dispose of it in whatever means the range has allowed for. Most have a can for misfires, some have cans full of oil to put them in.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yes certain lubricant/PENETRENTS notorously WD-40 can and have effect ammo. Additionally carry/ duty ammo is also exposed to rain, snow, sweat, temperature extremes. Rotating ammo every 6-12 month is cheap insurence.
    The best response to dud ammo is another pull of the trigger, on DA revolver.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Just rotate your first round.

If you overly oiled your weapon and let it sit for awhile it's likely the oil found it's way into the round and ruined the primer or the powder.

Did you try to reload that round and fire it?

This, seen it happen a couple times. This is why I use grease and EzOx on carry and defensive guns, and make sure the chamber, mag and breech face are dry. It doesn't take much oil to kill a primer. Also serves as a good reminder to practice failure drills.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    This, seen it happen a couple times. This is why I use grease and EzOx on carry and defensive guns, and make sure the chamber, mag and breech face are dry. It doesn't take much oil to kill a primer. Also serves as a good reminder to practice failure drills.

Have you seen the BOT article I linked earlier? Ol' Painless left puddles of a few different types of oils/solvents on top of loaded ammo (primer side up) for 1-5 weeks, every round fired without incident.

I wonder if it's possible/likely for oil/solvent from a wet chamber to contaminate the powder by entering between the bullet and the case?

It's certainly possible for contamination to happen, but I'd think it low on the list of possible failure scenarios. Prudence requires rotation of defensive ammo, obviously.

OH IT'S KINO

Southerner
    Feb 16, 2011
    Ameritopia
    Just rotate your first round.

If you overly oiled your weapon and let it sit for awhile it's likely the oil found it's way into the round and ruined the primer or the powder.

Did you try to reload that round and fire it?

See below

Another thing to think about, how much oil do you leave in the gun after cleaning it? Not saying this is the cause of your dud, but oil left in the firearm could find it's way into the powder or primer of the cartridge. That oil would then deactivate the cartridge.

Like ProShooter and others have said. In a defensive situation Tap Rack Bang is the proper way to clear the firearm to get it back in the fight. But when at the range treat it like any other misfire or hang fire. Keep the gun pointed down range/safe direction. Keep you finger off the trigger. Wait 30 seconds or more.( I prefer more, I don't want to mess up my pretty face:D) Remove the magazine. Then with the ejection port rotated toward the right slightly open the action and allow the cartridge to fall to the ground. You don't want to handle it if you can help it. Some ranges will require you to place the dud cartridge into a dud box. The box at the range I shoot at regularly is a 50 cal ammo can that has 2 inches of oil in the bottom the lid is closed and a hole large enough for up to 50 AE cartridges has been drilled to drop the dud into.

Mdeng

See below

I would doubt that excess oil had anything to do with the dud.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot39.htm

^ You beat me to it. I was about to mention this very thing. HIGHLY unlikely a little excess oil caused the primer to fault.

Just goes to show you that NOTHING is absolute and ANYTHING can happen. The only thing we can do is prepare ourselves to know how to respond correctly when something does go wrong.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Despite the "likely hood" it's a possibility and something to be aware of.

Winchester just had a lot where the primers were not properly installed. A mishap during manufacturing isnt likely but it's a possibility as well.

Without taking the round apart it's all a guessing game anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom