• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gaskg

Jan 5, 2010
    Forest Hill
    Help! The class I was planning on taking in Aberdeen is full. Does anyone know of any upcoming classes near Harford County? I was planning on doing the online version but am open to the multiple day classes as well. Thanks!

gaskg

Jan 5, 2010
    Forest Hill
    Thanks for the links guys. I had already checked this site though. The person I spoke to today from a number on that site said there are lots of classes at gun and hunting clubs that are not listed on the site. Anyone know of any classes coming up at your club? Thanks!

downforthecause

refugee from communist MD
    Nov 13, 2009
    This coming week.... Dug Hill Rod & Gun Club in Carroll county. Sept 7,8,9 $10.00. 6:15 pm. I'll be there.

dualhead

Dec 2, 2012
    Anything offered December/January..

Bumping this thread because I completed the online safety course and need to do the in person field day. I'm dying to get out, bit the DNR site has nothing. Anything at private clubs etc.? Thanks in advance!

cam3xl

Dec 22, 2011
    Same Here

Started the application process for my licesnse two weeks ago in anticipation of the season (forgive me, this is my first season. I had no clue). Took the hunters ed class on line, got my voucher number, went to try and register for the field day only to find out that there was only one listed for 12/1/12 and it was overbooked. The next isn't until 01/06/12 and it's out on the eastern shore. Am I truely screwed out of firearms season this year? Brand new Mossberg 500 with 24" scoped & rifled barrel waiting to put a backstrap in the freezer. HELP!!!!!!

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Started the application process for my licesnse two weeks ago in anticipation of the season (forgive me, this is my first season. I had no clue). Took the hunters ed class on line, got my voucher number, went to try and register for the field day only to find out that there was only one listed for 12/1/12 and it was overbooked. The next isn't until 01/06/12 and it's out on the eastern shore. Am I truely screwed out of firearms season this year? Brand new Mossberg 500 with 24" scoped & rifled barrel waiting to put a backstrap in the freezer. HELP!!!!!!

The 1/6 class isn't full yet, I registered. Email did say it would fill up quickly though.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak

Let this be a life lesson for you.

Stop waiting to the last minute to do things.

Start looking to next year.

Finish your hunter safety class.

Find the area you want to hunt and get out and scout it.

Have multiple areas to hunt. If your #1 choice becomes a no go you'll have another place to go.
    (one year, I pulled up to the wooded area I was planning on hunting and all I saw was nothing as far as you could see. The wooded lot had been freshly clear cut. They still had the heavy equipment there. Good thing for my backup plan.)

Practice with your gun. (I can't begin to tell you the stories of people finding major problems with there fire arm the Sunday before Thanksgiving. Try getting a gunsmith the week before Thanksgiving)

cam3xl

Dec 22, 2011
    Let this be a life lesson for you.

Stop waiting to the last minute to do things.

Start looking to next year.

Finish your hunter safety class.

Find the area you want to hunt and get out and scout it.

Have multiple areas to hunt. If your #1 choice becomes a no go you'll have another place to go.
    (one year, I pulled up to the wooded area I was planning on hunting and all I saw was nothing as far as you could see. The wooded lot had been freshly clear cut. They still had the heavy equipment there. Good thing for my backup plan.)

Practice with your gun. (I can't begin to tell you the stories of people finding major problems with there fire arm the Sunday before Thanksgiving. Try getting a gunsmith the week before Thanksgiving)
    I thought you would say something like that! o_0

I was unaware that I would need months of prep to get my licesnse. It seems unreasonable that there would only be 2 classes for the entire state as the season approached. I have been scouting 3 times since september and have a pretty good idea of where I'm headed. I have managed to put several rounds through my shotgun since it's purchase in October and have set up an archery range at my place and have been praticing with my (new-to-me) bow for a while now. I have been preparing for my first season for about 3.5 months now. During fishing season, I stop at Anglers on Rt. 50 on my first trip to Kent Narrows for the season and buy my licesnse and stamps and hop in the car and go. Lesson learned. This aint like that!

So considering the length of firearms season here in Baltimore County, am I screwed for the year or is there any way to hunt, prior to field day verification?

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I thought you would say something like that! o_0

I was unaware that I would need months of prep to get my licesnse. It seems unreasonable that there would only be 2 classes for the entire state as the season approached. I have been scouting 3 times since september and have a pretty good idea of where I'm headed. I have managed to put several rounds through my shotgun since it's purchase in October and have set up an archery range at my place and have been praticing with my (new-to-me) bow for a while now. I have been preparing for my first season for about 3.5 months now. During fishing season, I stop at Anglers on Rt. 50 on my first trip to Kent Narrows for the season and buy my licesnse and stamps and hop in the car and go. Lesson learned. This aint like that!

So considering the length of firearms season here in Baltimore County, am I screwed for the year or is there any way to hunt, prior to field day verification?

You can hunt squirrels later in the winter. That's what I'm planning. I'm going to drive 2 hrs each way for the Jan 6th course, but it's only once ever I'll have to do it, no biggie to me.

cam3xl

Dec 22, 2011
    You can hunt squirrels later in the winter. That's what I'm planning. I'm going to drive 2 hrs each way for the Jan 6th course, but it's only once ever I'll have to do it, no biggie to me.
    I'm gonna make the trip too. 3 hrs for me. the distance was not as big a deal as the timing. No Deer this season. Boo Hiss!

gaskg

Jan 5, 2010
    Forest Hill
    Bumping this thread because I completed the online safety course and need to do the in person field day. I'm dying to get out, bit the DNR site has nothing. Anything at private clubs etc.? Thanks in advance!

Try your local Issac Walton League. They are not listed on the website and often have classes. That's where I did mine. I got mine when I started this thread. I'm having a great time getting out in the woods, and have found a new addiction!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Go to a neighboring state , get Aprentace lic , and hunt with your experienced partner. Once again Md is out of touch with majority of states.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom