• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    In a sad turn of events, U.S. District Court Judge William Young has issued a ruling that upholds Massachusetts’ ban on AR-15s and large-capacity magazines.

His reasoning? He says AR-15s are NOT protected by the 2nd Amendment (!!).

He wrote:

"The AR-15 and its analogs, along with large capacity magazines, are simply not weapons within the original meaning of the individual constitutional right to ‘bear arms’."

Received email this morning on this. I don't know where to find the ruling online.
    Well maybe soon SCOTUS will hear 19-404 Worman v. Healey & GVR:thumbsup:

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    So the internet/twitter/instagram should not be protected by the 1st Amendment, as those were not envisioned by the Founding Fathers?

Q

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    In a sad turn of events, U.S. District Court Judge William Young has issued a ruling that upholds Massachusetts’ ban on AR-15s and large-capacity magazines.

He wrote:

"The AR-15 and its analogs, along with large capacity magazines, are simply not weapons within the original meaning of the individual constitutional right to ‘bear arms’."

Received email this morning on this. I don't know where to find the ruling online.

Maybe Judge Young will use a quill and ink well to pen his ruling..........:sad20:

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County

He wrote:

That's only a District Court. District Court Judge Benson Everett Legg once ruled that Maryland's G&S was unconstitutional, too. The ruling didn't stick.

This ruling will almost certainly be appealed, too, hopefully after SCOTUS grants cert to one of the 2A cases currently in their queue. It's a long game.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    If only a judge like that would be honest and say, “I WISH that commonly owned weapons weren’t what the founders knew they must protect, so I’m simply going to ignore their many writings on the subject, and assert my desire as the standard.” Man up, your honor, and say what you mean. Chickensh!t ruling.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    That's one stupid judge. When the bill of rights was written there was not even a glimmer of thought about a weapon of war vs a weapon of peace. Still isn't a difference. Just plain BS.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    As the founding fathers would say, "There is a cauldron of tar and a pillow full of feathers with his name on it somewhere."

jrosenberger

Jan 19, 2011
    NH
    You realize the opinion you're quoting came out just over two years ago and is being considered for review by SCOTUS today, right?

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013

He wrote:

You left off the part where he ended with

"Justice Scalia would be proud. "

You realize the opinion you're quoting came out just over two years ago and is being considered for review by SCOTUS today, right?

The conference was yesterday not today. Once all of the oral arguments are done for the term, they move to weekly conferences on Thursdays until the end of the term (end of June)

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    It's actually good news, unless you live in MA.

Another leftist judge exposed himself.

Differences of opinion should only further SCOTUS desire to answer these questions, hopefully right after T45 replaces RBG or Breyer.

Sirex