Best pistol out of the box for production and carry optics?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I'd like to try for the special 13 coin that the SC gives out to whoever classifies in all 13 categories. I have all but three guns. What I really need are carry optics and Open. How I'd like to do that is have a carry optic pistol and have another threaded barrel to screw a compensater on it to make it Open. I'm thinking taking my CZ p01, have the slide milled for a sight, and get a threaded barrel and put a device on it. Does that sound feasible? And who would be the best smith to mill the slide? Thanks.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Fyi you can shoot any gun in open division. No rule that it HAS to have optic and comp. Most open guns have frame-mounted OPTICS for less reciprocating mass, not slide-mounted.

Yes, milling, vs a mounting plate, will get dot lower and easier to pick up. Today I should get the milled slide I ordered from zeroed in armory for my glock 17. Primary Machine seems to also have a good reputation for milling. Sterling Arsenal does it locally.

Find most recent uspsa equipment survey online for best / most popular guns in each division.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Yeah, I'd just shoot my CO gun in Open with 170mm mags if I simply wanted to classify. Hell, most classifiers don't even really require mags with more than 140mm cap anyways. You can't just throw a comp on your pistol randomly and expect it to function 100% - especially the comps that are genuinely effective. There is usually some action balancing that needs to be done with springs.

What gun? I don't know. Shadow 2 Optics Ready would seem like a good choice if it were available, but it's not. Milling CZs for optics is an expensive proposition. If you wanted to spend less, you could rig up an existing Glock relatively cheaply to shoot in CO, too, and it would be competitive at the club level. Realistically, you will not be truly competitive in Open with non-2011 options.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Shadow 2 will need weight removed to make uspsa CO limits. Most folks are going that way. Me? I shoot a shadow 2 in production, and will have an sp01 slide milled for CO. They both fit in the same holster for my setup.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks for the feedback so far. This is for SC (Steel Challenge), not USPSA. I've found to my way of shooting that having the dot up higher isn't as quick on the first shot as one that's lower. And due aging I've found that heavy pistols aren't something I can move with speed on the five targets. That's part of why I got a Mark IV Lite versus the heavy barrel.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Getting classified is not the same as doing well.

I say shoot what you've got. Use a dovetail mount for a dot. If you really like CO, you can mill a slide later. Open doesn't need a comp, just declare that division.

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    Fyi you can shoot any gun in open division. No rule that it HAS to have optic and comp. Most open guns have frame-mounted OPTICS for less reciprocating mass, not slide-mounted.

Yes, milling, vs a mounting plate, will get dot lower and easier to pick up. Today I should get the milled slide I ordered from zeroed in armory for my glock 17. Primary Machine seems to also have a good reputation for milling. Sterling Arsenal does it locally.

Find most recent uspsa equipment survey online for best / most popular guns in each division.
    My SP-01 Tactical slide went out to Primary Machine Friday for the RMR/Holosun mount. Hope to have it by the next Steel Challenge...

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Last edited:

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    B.J. Norris won the 2019 World Steel Shooting Championship with his Carry Optics gun shooting a total of 75.37 which was 3 seconds faster than anyone shooting an Open gun including himself.

In my case I shoot a Glock 34 in Open, Carry Optics, and Limited. Actually its only one gun. While I have a comped barrel I generally shoot a ported barrel in Open instead because they ammo does not have to be hot to work the comp as I use the same OTC Federal ammo for all three divisions. For Open I run all the parts I can on the gun. For Carry Optics I swap out the ported barrel and use my Limited barrel, plus I remove the thumbrest, racker, and magwell. For Limited I further swap out the RMR equipped slide and substitute the iron sight slide (actually FO sights)I can add back the magwell but its not important in Steel Challenge. My usual progression is Open, Limited, then Carry Optics because swapping out the thumbrest requires removing and replacing the upper 2 pins. So I normally would shoot Open, then the other 2 the next day so I could do it overnight. I have seen no real advantage speed wise between Open and Carry Optics even considering the slide mounted optic. I am at exactly the same level in both divisions, shooting the same gun suitably modified. Holster is different, however as CO has to use the Production holster specs. And from experience you need to max out your CO holster, not just use one you shoot IDPA or USPSA that is a carry holster. You need to build it to max out the 2-3/8" from the inner belt spec so it clears your body. Easiest way is to take your regular holster and get longer screws and make a spacer to go between the belt mount and the actual holster. You can use that for USPSA also (not sure about IDPA).

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    And I have it back after getting the slide milled. Figure I'll need a lot of practice before I can compete effectively but I'm motivated that I have a pistol I can actually use now...

Attachments

• IMG_20200109_163058.jpg
      IMG_20200109_163058.jpg
      94.3 KB · Views: 273

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I should have gone sooner, oh well. I picked up a 9mm M&P with three mags for $420. They extended the closing to February. May be getting a magazine fed shotgun that they had on the wall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom