• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    last month I went to Argentina for dove, used a Beretta AL391 Urika 20ga, shot 4,650 shells without issue.

Good Luck

Jerry

I'm so jealous, sounds like an awesome trip!

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    last month I went to Argentina for dove, used a Beretta AL391 Urika 20ga, shot 4,650 shells without issue.

Good Luck

Jerry

Yesterday, I was talking to my son about dove hunting in Argentina. That just sounds awesome. My dad and I always talked about it, but at 77 years old I am not sure he would enjoy it now. Hoping I can get there with my son and daughter(s). I know my son and one daughter are really into hunting. The oldest, not at all, and it is too soon to know with the 2 year old.

Was it your own gun, or did they supply the gun? What ammo do they have available down there?

5,000 rounds through a 391 is nothing. Just breaking the gun in.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    How did everyone do? I was at a field with very excellent conditions and crops (sunflowers and wheat) and saw remarkably few birds. I managed to miss quite a few and bag a few, but not nearly as many as in past years. I wish I could get out there a few more times this week.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    Rented the SG from the Guide. That SG was ~10 years old. It got my attention for the number of rounds that it had through it.

Warning it was an expensive trip, but we flew first class, shot doves until we couldn't shoot anymore (doves were still flying!). It was truly a once in a life time trip. We also traveled to another location: San Javier and shot ducks. Fired another 825 shells out of a 12 ga. Beretta 391 at ducks. Many local varieties not seen here.

We use Activ #7.5 and #7 for dove (plastic shells) produced near Santa Fa Argentina. #5 lead on the Ducks, a local brand I do not recall the name.

Good Luck

Jerry

tidalwave

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 29, 2019
    After reading some of the comments, I have to wonder if there's a way to practice before going out.

Some sporting clays courses have stations that emulate dove hunting. PG County Trap and Skeet had nice courses when I went there a few years back.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    My go to dove gun is a older western field double barrel 16ga. Love that gun and is/was the only gun I use for dove but I just got a wingmaster 12ga which I like to use now

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Rented the SG from the Guide. That SG was ~10 years old. It got my attention for the number of rounds that it had through it.

Warning it was an expensive trip, but we flew first class, shot doves until we couldn't shoot anymore (doves were still flying!). It was truly a once in a life time trip. We also traveled to another location: San Javier and shot ducks. Fired another 825 shells out of a 12 ga. Beretta 391 at ducks. Many local varieties not seen here.

We use Activ #7.5 and #7 for dove (plastic shells) produced near Santa Fa Argentina. #5 lead on the Ducks, a local brand I do not recall the name.

Good Luck

Jerry

Yep, had a buddy go to Mexico for dove and duck hunting. He told me that everything that is illegal here is legal there. He had a blast.

I really hope I can take my kids on an Argentina hunt at some point in my life.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    sk/sk works when the conditions are right. Thing is, one of the big advantages of a double gun is that two different chokes can be used in them. In fact, that and long term reliability might be the only two advantages I see for a double gun over a semi.

There are no choke tubes in a 21. I have a SxS Beretta that is skeet and modified (IIRC). I own one gun with choke tubes and it’s semi. Dove is one of the few games I can use my antique fixed choke guns. The Winchester 21 is a thing of beauty. My wife inherited 3 and is kind enough to let me use them. LOL.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    There are no choke tubes in a 21. I have a SxS Beretta that is skeet and modified (IIRC). I own one gun with choke tubes and it’s semi. Dove is one of the few games I can use my antique fixed choke guns. The Winchester 21 is a thing of beauty. My wife inherited 3 and is kind enough to let me use them. LOL.

Yep, no choke tubes in the older Win 101 that my dad has either, but it is choked M/F. Granted, it is a field gun.

No doubt the 21 is a beauty. Many people sing its praises. I just cannot shoot a SxS worth a damn. The super wide sighting plane screws me all up, just like the pumping of a pump screws me up. Has to be o/u, single barrel, or semi for me to reach my zen.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Yep, no choke tubes in the older Win 101 that my dad has either, but it is choked M/F. Granted, it is a field gun.

No doubt the 21 is a beauty. Many people sing its praises. I just cannot shoot a SxS worth a damn. The super wide sighting plane screws me all up, just like the pumping of a pump screws me up. Has to be o/u, single barrel, or semi for me to reach my zen.

I don't shoot the SxS worth a damn, either. I am hoping with some practice I'll get better. I do much better with O/U as well. I'm going to keep trying....the doves get a chuckle.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I couldn't get out on Monday, I couldn't fit into my boots. I'd like to go this weekend, we'll see if I can get out. Probably going with the Beretta 400. If nothing shows up I'll try squirrels.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    We cleaned up today.

Attachments

• 51773253-37A7-4C9A-9FD5-3791E9A5523C.jpg
      51773253-37A7-4C9A-9FD5-3791E9A5523C.jpg
      117.4 KB · Views: 123

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    We cleaned up today.

Very nice pic and some nice shooting. Today was an awesome day for dove hunting.

I had an invite to a hunt club where they have sunflower and corn falling off in the field, and I turned it down because I had to coach my kids' first soccer game.

The trials and tribulations of parenthood. Both of my kids wanted to go instead of playing soccer. End of the day, they both played some of the best soccer I have seen them play. So, jealous and not jealous. DAMN

Have a reservation though later next week and on September 21.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    A friend of mine suggested putting dove breast on jalapeño poppers (half jalapeño stuffed with cream cheese and wrapped with a half slice of bacon).
    They turned out great.

Attachments

• 2CDBFB23-AC2E-4439-BA94-44DB17FC4FAE.jpg
      2CDBFB23-AC2E-4439-BA94-44DB17FC4FAE.jpg
      129.1 KB · Views: 103

aht2131

Aug 5, 2011
    I like my 20ga the best for small game. For doves I shoot #8 or #7.5 light target loads through IC choke and it seems to work well enough. Currently shooting a semi auto which is fantastic, but I'm considering an o/u because sometimes I can't find all the ejected shells when walking a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom