• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    I was looking at that last night! Receivers are banned in MD, aren't they? I've got one I built before the ban. Can't understand all the hoopla over them. They aren't that accurate, heavy, longish. Just look sexy and soft recoil.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I have always been a little wary of SARCO but those are the first ones with original barrels I have seen in a while sub $700.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    I was looking at that last night! Receivers are banned in MD, aren't they? I've got one I built before the ban. Can't understand all the hoopla over them. They aren't that accurate, heavy, longish. Just look sexy and soft recoil.

I was strongly leaning toward a FAL until I learned how brass is deformed on ejection. I don’t have steady access to cheap, surplus 7.62; eventually will (May) need to reload and thus am related to picking up (non-deformed) brass ...

All that aside, and of course, can’t fault ANY thoughts of caching ANYthing firearms related, since the 80’s!!! :thumbsup:

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I was strongly leaning toward a FAL until I learned how brass is deformed on ejection. I don’t have steady access to cheap, surplus 7.62; eventually will (May) need to reload and thus am related to picking up (non-deformed) brass ...

All that aside, and of course, can’t fault ANY thoughts of caching ANYthing firearms related, since the 80’s!!! :thumbsup:

FALs deform brass? I know G3 clones really beat up brass, but I did not know FALs did as well.

wbw2123

Nov 19, 2012
    Should be imbel parts. Not as great as steyr but still good stuff. Price a new barrel. No telling if it's shot out when you're dealing with sarco.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    When I was shopping for a .308, shooting several in the past and seeing what they did to the brass is what I based my inclination on.

I know one was a DSA and I can’t remember what the others were but, I can almost guarantee they were not kits and certainly not Chilean rebuilds so ... perhaps I should not paint all FALs with such a broad brush ...

The ejection on the very few I have fired (probably three total) was violent enough to spin the case allowing the mouth to strike the top cover or upper receiver and half moon the case mouth.

I have seen threads on altering the ejector to make it hit the case closer to center, with reported good results doing so but, I have zero experience doing it. Typically, the gas system is adjustable so, now I’m wondering if a shooter should be able to fine tune the ejection fairly well if shooting the same loads.

I wound up going with a DPMS G-II and then a Galil ACE (but, I still dig the lines on the FAL and the overall way it looks).

You could also rig up a pad of sorts to cover the area of your brass strikes.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    FALs deform brass? I know G3 clones really beat up brass, but I did not know FALs did as well.

Depends on the rifle, the ammo, and mostly I think, the gas setting and extraction speed more than anything else. Mine doesn't hurt brass at the right gas settings (reliable feed plus 2 clicks). However, close the nut down and it'll bang holy hockey sticks out of brass as it throws them to the next county. Open it up more than 2 clicks and extraction can become unreliable.
    The nut adjusts how much gas goes to the piston. I use handloads in LC brass and don't push it past 2,725 fps, chrono'd.

Hmmm. I still have a pre ban Imbel receiver...

You're good to go, Sir!
    Lots of parts available everywhere online. Falcon Arms and DSA have all the US Legal/US manufactured FCG, stocks, gas pistons, new bolts, and muzzle brakes, you would need to be legal. AND US made barrels.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Depends on the rifle, the ammo, and mostly I think, the gas setting and extraction speed more than anything else. Mine doesn't hurt brass at the right gas settings (reliable feed plus 2 clicks). However, close the nut down and it'll bang holy hockey sticks out of brass as it throws them to the next county. Open it up more than 2 clicks and extraction can become unreliable.
    The nut adjusts how much gas goes to the piston. I use handloads in LC brass and don't push it past 2,725 fps, chrono'd.

^^^--This use the above it works.. LC brass 150FMJ, CCI-200
    either IMR-4895, IMR--4064 or WCC-846
    now on the other hand the HK just tears the brass up
    the rims are pretty bad, but reloadable...

-Rock

RT468

Feb 19, 2009
    Catonsville Md
    I have always been a little wary of SARCO but those are the first ones with original barrels I have seen in a while sub $700.

I had the same plans for future builds and hoarded kits. Any interest in one or two really nice Argentine FAL kits sub $700 with barrels. Got them from Sarco but I inspected them before purchase. Looking back I wish I had picked up a G3 kit as opposed to the FAL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom