• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tohit

Apr 28, 2020
    Hi Everyone, very new to the AR world. I got the itch to put together a semi budget friendly AR. I have been shopping around for stripped AR lowers and from calling some of the local places to me (Gaithersburg area), I am seeing an average cost for an anderson stripped lower of $80-90. Is that an okay deal/what a stripped lower usually costs in this area? I realize this is probably the worst time to do a build. Appreciate any advice.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Hi Everyone, very new to the AR world. I got the itch to put together a semi budget friendly AR. I have been shopping around for stripped AR lowers and from calling some of the local places to me (Gaithersburg area), I am seeing an average cost for an anderson stripped lower of $80-90. Is that an okay deal/what a stripped lower usually costs in this area? I realize this is probably the worst time to do a build. Appreciate any advice.

It is tolerable. I can get them for 35-50 each, where I am.

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    That's probably a reasonable price.. The FFL needs to source and most include the transfer in that cost. My FFL charges $40 for the transfer individually if I purchase elsewhere.

tohit

Apr 28, 2020
    thanks to both of you, just wanted to make sure it seemed about right. Appreciate it.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Probably a MD thing, but Anderson and a couple other crap lowers go for about $50 and sometimes lower as they are on frequent sales, decent mil-spec Aero, Ruger, S&W, Spikes are well worth the upgrade at about $80. Aero's M4E1 lower is my favorite, at $100 it's IMO the best for the money, it's forged, and not a "true" billet but appears to have the features and style of billet. The added features like an integral guard, screw pins, threaded detent hole(for a set screw to capture the spring) and flared magwell that are great for the money. True billet tend to be $200+ and while awesome may have changes large enough to require proprietary stuff, or not work with some mil-spec parts. I have seen a LOT of Anderson lowers and LPKs have issues, most will work, but it's a PITA to trade out a lower for warranty with the paperwork involved, I have seen no issues with Aero mil-spec or M4E1 lowers, same with other good lowers, not worth the hassle, especially when saving $20-$30 on the foundation of a build that will cost several hundred to complete.

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    I tend to agree, when I think of quality, Anderson is not in that conversation. I've seen and they work (sir Chadwick probably can show the contrary), but you know that old saying, you usually get what you pay for. Although times are always changing - Aero, Spikes, Stag were my inexpensive preference. If I needed another lower I'd probably give SOLGW a try - only heard good things. But you'll likely be almost double an Anderson when its finally in your hands.

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    .... decent mil-spec Aero, Ruger, S&W, Spikes are well worth the upgrade at about $80. Aero's M4E1 lower is my favorite, at $100 it's IMO the best for the money, it's forged, and not a "true" billet but appears to have the features and style of billet. The added features like an integral guard, screw pins, threaded detent hole(for a set screw to capture the spring) and flared magwell that are great for the money.

I have seen no issues with Aero mil-spec or M4E1 lowers, same with other good lowers, not worth the hassle, especially when saving $20-$30 on the foundation of a build that will cost several hundred to complete.
    My last few lowers were Aero, a mix of the forged A2 type and M4E1.

And remember, seeing $35 lowers online doesn’t translate to your cost. Everytime I see someone online brag about their low-cost build on a $30 lower, they leave out the fact that their cousin’s sister’s husband is an FFL and they paid no fee. FFLs have expenses so obviously have to cover overhead.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    My last few lowers were Aero, a mix of the forged A2 type and M4E1.

And remember, seeing $35 lowers online doesn’t translate to your cost. Everytime I see someone online brag about their low-cost build on a $30 lower, they leave out the fact that their cousin’s sister’s husband is an FFL and they paid no fee. FFLs have expenses so obviously have to cover overhead.

Most of the shops that carry lowers around here stock Aero, so pretty easy to deal with, The big "tactical" shops near me (Trop and Lanco) have a few brands, so it's helpful sometimes to compare cheap stuff to mid range and even premium parts. Can see the finish, stamping, machining marks etc on Anderson that just aren't there on the others, and rough edges and burrs on things like BCA barrels compared to the finished appearance of mid-priced brands like BA/Aero, and then the higher level of detail on something like a Criterion. For a first time builder you definitely want to go with good parts, preferably from the same brand to reduce the chances that there will be a problem you might not be able to spot. One lower a friend put together on an Anderson lower had binding, and a terrible trigger, even after cleaning it up, found the holes were not straight, putting the peices at a slight angle, and the thick rough finish basically made the pins press-fit so they couldn't rotate freely. Meanwhile Building on Aero sets with Aero handguards and Aero or BA barrels/bolts is about as close to foolproof as it gets.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Lol are you guys trolling this dude because it's his first post?

Anderson lowers should not be $80 ANYWHERE. More like $50, maybe $60 or $40 on a good day. I've seen em for $30 in a few local places before. Lot's of placed in Hoco or AA CO that have Spikes or Aero lowers for right about $100. I wouldn't hesitate to buy an Anderson, but for $20-$30 more there are plenty of better of options nearby.

schnauzr

Bark Bark!
    Jun 6, 2016
    MoCo
    Have you tried Engage Armament? They at one point had available stripped mil-spec lowers with their own rollmark.

Fester60

Feb 1, 2010
    PA
    Lol are you guys trolling this dude because it's his first post?

Anderson lowers should not be $80 ANYWHERE. More like $50, maybe $60 or $40 on a good day. I've seen em for $30 in a few local places before. Lot's of placed in Hoco or AA CO that have Spikes or Aero lowers for right about $100. I wouldn't hesitate to buy an Anderson, but for $20-$30 more there are plenty of better of options nearby.

I kind of thought the same thing. Anderson lowers should be about $40 plus a $20 transfer fee.

pp55ftw

Jan 8, 2019
    Keep in mind that you can do multiple items on one 4473...so if you ordered multiple lowers you would distribute the transfer cost...Brownells has Aero lowers fro $76ish-get two and your total per lower is $80-90. Much better quality/deal than an Anderson. Heck, grab a few PSA lowers for $50 each and your cost per lower +transfer fees is less than the Anderson you are looking at. Happy building!

Wahama90

Try this spot

It's not right next door to you, but you'll save some money even after the gas.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200509-210619.jpg
      Screenshot_20200509-210619.jpg
      37.5 KB · Views: 278

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I have an Anderson I got for $35 from JLowes like 3 years ago and it is ok, no problems with it. But I also have an OD Green Cerakote Aero lower that I think was $78 plus tax plus $10 MSP fee at United Gun Shop (transfer was included, ordered on-line). That thing is really, really well made. It has the Safe Fire markings in the right side, the Anderson does not. The Aero has an adjustment screw to eliminate the slop between upper and lower receiver. The Anderson does not. Just little fit and finish things.

You can upgrade everything else on an AR, but you can't swap out your lower for a better one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom