• opplanet-doublestar-carlson-mini-comp-muzzle-brake-cc440-main.jpg
      opplanet-doublestar-carlson-mini-comp-muzzle-brake-cc440-main.jpg
      15.2 KB · Views: 276

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I have not found an alternative to an A2 suppressor ([EDIT] flash hider) that's really any better functionally, esp. for the price. Now if you want something because it looks cool, different story.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Kind of a hybrid flash hider and compensator; one way to have your cake and eat it too.
    You can never have your cake and eat it, too, at least not with muzzle devices. By definition, any burning gas it emits upwards to compensate your gun is not being suppressed by the flash suppressor portion. Some people may find this a good trade-off, and that's fine, it very well may be, but let's not fool ourselves into thinking you're gonna get great flash suppression out of a combo device.

Personally speaking, I think the A2 works just fine.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    None of the BCM "compensators" have a lot of compensation. But AR-15s dont have a lot of recoil or muzzle rise to begin with. It has a small amount compensation than the A2 in tests, but I'd guess someone experienced with a good hold wont notice much.

One advantage of the BCM compensators is that they are not Flash Hiders. For someone in Northern Virginia, that might mean a whole lot less than for someone in MD.

Another advantage of the BCM is that its short.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    One advantage of the BCM compensators is that they are not Flash Hiders. For someone in Northern Virginia, that might mean a whole lot less than for someone in MD.
    Incorrect. Straight from their product page: "Designed for tactical applications to reduce muzzle rise, flash signature, noise, and lateral pressure"

This meets the definition of being a flash suppressor under MD law, because it advertises as such.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    Incorrect. Straight from their product page: "Designed for tactical applications to reduce muzzle rise, flash signature, noise, and lateral pressure"

This meets the definition of being a flash suppressor under MD law, because it advertises as such.

That would be news to a lot of people*. Mostly every muzzle brake out there also advertises this. Your standard would virtually outlaw muzzle devices.

* including some FFLs I might add.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    That would be news to a lot of people. Mostly every muzzle brake out there also advertises this. Your standard would virtually outlaw muzzle devices.
    Again, nope.

First of all, plenty of pure brakes and comps make no claims to suppressing flash. The VG6 Gamma and ASR brakes that I use quite frequently say nothing at all about flash suppression, probably because they don't do it.

Second, it doesn't matter if it's news to someone, the law is what the law is. I can't fix ignorance. There is a whole crowd of idiots who try to claim the FSC556 isn't a flash suppressor when the name is literally an acronym for "flash suppressing compensator", or that suppressors don't count as flash hiders under MD law. You better bet there a bunch of FFLs who break the law all the time either out of ignorance or laziness - I don't rely on them for my opinions. All it takes is a motivated AG or MSP officer to go ruin their day.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    Again, nope.

First of all, plenty of pure brakes and comps make no claims to suppressing flash. The VG6 Gamma and ASR brakes that I use quite frequently say nothing at all about flash suppression, probably because they don't do it.

Second, it doesn't matter if it's news to someone, the law is what the law is. I can't fix ignorance. There is a whole crowd of idiots who try to claim the FSC556 isn't a flash suppressor when the name is literally an acronym for "flash suppressing compensator", or that suppressors don't count as flash hiders under MD law. You better bet there a bunch of FFLs who break the law all the time either out of ignorance or laziness - I don't rely on them for my opinions. All it takes is a motivated AG or MSP officer to go ruin their day.

fair enough.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    You make a good case in your write up. Perhaps BCM is adding some marketing language that may not reflect reality. I would definitely believe that.

This is what BCM says about the Mod0 comp: "Tuned slots and interior cone offer maximum in recoil mitigations, compensation of muzzle-rise, and flash reduction."

I agree; just get an A2 flash hider and be done with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom