• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    Somewhere in Canada with one of my brothers is my father's moose rifle, an 1895 Winchester like the one in post #2. It is a breakdown model, chambered in .303 British, that was originally issued to the North Western Railway police officers, and came into my father's possession in trade. VERY difficult to import this rifle into the US. I was taken on many hunts by my father with this rifle, and used it myself as a teen in northern Ontario. That image brings back memories . . .

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    krag_with_feet.jpg

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    That is my favorite shotgun too, but that's because I grew up borrowing my grandfathers when we went rabbit hunting every fall on my uncles' farm. Thanksgiving tradition was cousins and grandfather would go rabbit hunting in the morning and go to my grandparents house for dinner in the afternoon. Good times even when snowing, raining or freezing cold, notice I never mention hot... LOL

That’s awesome. Sounds like you and I had the same up bringing. It was also a family tradition for me to go rabbit hunting with my brother, cousin, and our grandfather, on thanksgiving. Came home to a feast that my mom, aunt, and grandmother made.
    Good memories!

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Old school you say?

Attachments

• 96140E68-0BF6-4A2D-A3EB-4C1E579F53F9.jpeg
      96140E68-0BF6-4A2D-A3EB-4C1E579F53F9.jpeg
      77.1 KB · Views: 293
    • 00116397-6B5B-4C01-B088-22766646244B.jpeg
      00116397-6B5B-4C01-B088-22766646244B.jpeg
      89.4 KB · Views: 318

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    How dare you tease. Info, sir!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That rifle belonged to my neighbors Grandfather. Winchester 1894 in 32 special. He mentioned that he had it one day and I mentioned that I was a lever gun maniac. The rest is history. He had absolutely no interest in it at all. I ended up with it for a song.

She has a lot of miles on her but I’m still going to take it out every once in a while. Great wood on it and a ton of honest wear. It’s a 1966 so not as valuable as it could be... but I won’t feel bad about banging it around unlike my 49’ 30WCF.

Someone has carried that rifle ALOT. I wish it could talk.

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Amongst the Deplorables, SC.
    That rifle belonged to my neighbors Grandfather. Winchester 1894 in 32 special. He mentioned that he had it one day and I mentioned that I was a lever gun maniac. The rest is history. He had absolutely no interest in it at all. I ended up with it for a song.

She has a lot of miles on her but I’m still going to take it out every once in a while. Great wood on it and a ton of honest wear. It’s a 1966 so not as valuable as it could be... but I won’t feel bad about banging it around unlike my 49’ 30WCF.

Someone has carried that rifle ALOT. I wish it could talk.

Crazy! I would have thought it much older!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    My first hunting outfit was a Woolrich red plaid jacket, which was way to big as I was only 15, as my parents expected me to grow into it, LL Bean Maine Hunting boots and a pair of jeans. Hunted Squirrels my first year with my dad, learned and listened. I got an Ithaca 16 ga. shotgun in Sept., as a early Christmas present the next year, same outfit. Started hunting deer with my Dad that year, no luck that year. the next year, same outfit, but I was allow to hunt on my own, still no luck for us, I did miss a Buck. Next year, same outfit, I got a doe on the last day and my Dad got a button buck. The next year I bought my first center fire rifle, a Sedgley standard model in 30-06, but still had the same outfit, no luck that year, missed the biggest buck I have ever seen, I think that I was shaking so bad that I shot under him. I moved on to camo and Orange vest after the laws changed. I still wear LL Bean insulated Maine Hunting Boots , unless it is well below freezing, then I wear my Rocky Mountain Boots. I still miss the old Woolrich Jacket, I wore it for hunting small game until it was a rag.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    No gun in the picture, but this is my grand father back in the day.

Attachments

• D585E0F5-730F-44CD-BF7E-8FCDC57E025E.jpeg
      D585E0F5-730F-44CD-BF7E-8FCDC57E025E.jpeg
      43.4 KB · Views: 174

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    A time when a kid could walk down the road in an old coat, carrying an old shotgun and nobody called the cops.

When I was 13-14, most of my buddies and I had .22s in homemade scabbards (a long pant leg, cut off, folded and stitched) affixed to our bicycles (never knew when you might get an opportunity to do some plinking!) and nobody, not even the LEOs, ever said a thing - Harford County back in the early/mid '70s. I wouldn't advise that now kiddies - shame!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom