• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    How can anyone preserve Tobacco ? for potential years and i don't smoke so it won't do me any good .

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    I think we ( the U.S. / World et al ) would have to be pretty deep into a total collapse, and by that I mean .Gov and the supply infrastructure is no longer functioning except for maybe the most basic local level, before the US dollar would no longer buy anything. It may be at highly inflated prices ( look how much prices have risen in the stores in the past 30-45 days) but people still rely on what they know.
    The more savvy and prepared will have trade goods and access to fresh food, whether they grow it themselves or are part of a " community" that does, and will trade for silver and gold but the exchange rate will be set by the two making the deal. Then the criminal element gets wind of your operation and you need enough loyal, well armed people to defend what you trading.

If you haven't already watch the series "Jericho " it used to be on Netflix. Read the "One Second After" trilogy by Fortschner(sp?) Read some novels about or better yet try to find journals written by people who lived during the colonial days.

As for salt, how many people drive by a highways shop and don't look twice at those large domes

ground chuck

Rookie Jedi
    Sep 28, 2013
    Charm City County
    I think we ( the U.S. / World et al ) would have to be pretty deep into a total collapse, and by that I mean .Gov and the supply infrastructure is no longer functioning except for maybe the most basic local level, before the US dollar would no longer buy anything. It may be at highly inflated prices ( look how much prices have risen in the stores in the past 30-45 days) but people still rely on what they know.

The more savvy and prepared will have trade goods and access to fresh food, whether they grow it themselves or are part of a " community" that does, and will trade for silver and gold but the exchange rate will be set by the two making the deal. Then the criminal element gets wind of your operation and you need enough loyal, well armed people to defend what you trading.

If you haven't already watch the series "Jericho " it used to be on Netflix. Read the "One Second After" trilogy by Fortschner(sp?) Read some novels about or better yet try to find journals written by people who lived during the colonial days.

As for salt, how many people drive by a highways shop and don't look twice at those large domes
    Jericho was great. One second after, hits home with my diabetic family members. Definitely a must read.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    We always keep $10,000 in crisp, fresh, $20 bills on our kitchen table for anyone who needs a few bucks. Plus, we keep our gold and silver coins and bullion in mayonnaise jars out on the front porch.

Diversify. What we do at home is 4K in 20's, 3k in 50's and 3k in 100's. And I ALWAYS wrinkle them so they don't stick together when I'm counting. And ours are on the dining room table not the kitchen table.
    The mason jars are sealed in wax then buried in the flower beds.

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    I think regular old Federal Reserve notes, aka US dollars, scrip, fiat currency etc. will be the medium of exchange and that having some on hand is prudent. How much is the question. IF we are talking the break down of society, inflation happens abruptly and dramatically.

"Money" is just a substitute for barter with an intermediate medium of exchange. When the USA was on the gold standard, gold and silver were fixed at certain dollar values per ounce and the coinage minted reflected that. Some have argued that post gold standard precious metals have kept approximately the same value in purchasing power. In other words it is the "dollar" which changed value not the ounce of gold.

The problem /I have always had with the post-apocalyptic fiction portrayals of using "junk" silver coins and gold as money once again is establishing value. Obviously, it is all relative and subjective as in what would you be willing to buy or sell something for. But what I really mean is that the average person does not know the difference between a modern quarter and a 1962 quarter for example. Honestly, I really do not want to see it come to a situation in the USA where we are trading in precious metals just to feed our families.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Small silver and gold denominations, no one is making change for your 10oz bar

Just like the old days, you hack off a piece of it. See the post above re jewelry being equal to coin or bullion. Gold is gold.

DOM

Nov 19, 2012
    It never hurts to have some cash around. A run on the banks is not going to happen. The FED will provide UNLIMITED liquidity to the banks at this point. If we get to the point where we are trading in gold and silver, the medium of exchange will be the least of your problems. It would result in the complete breakdown of society and safety and food will be about your only concerns.

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    It never hurts to have some cash around. A run on the banks is not going to happen. The FED will provide UNLIMITED liquidity to the banks at this point. If we get to the point where we are trading in gold and silver, the medium of exchange will be the least of your problems. It would result in the complete breakdown of society and safety and food will be about your only concerns.

Yes, "safety and food" in that order.

A friend used to work for Phillip Morris. He said storing cigarettes in fridge/freezer is really bad due to the arid conditions. He recommended sealing them in ziploc freezer bags with a wet cotton ball. That way there would be X amount of moisture trapped in with the cigarettes. I don't know whether mold would become an issue long term.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    People may not smoke, but they will need salt.

Also, in this area, tobacco will go back to being a "cash" crop after a few years. cigs may have short term get-us-through-a-few-seasons value, but not long term value IMO.

Just like the old days, you hack off a piece of it. See the post above re jewelry being equal to coin or bullion. Gold is gold.

The stuff people have these days from target or whatever is not real gold. Its gold plated, maybe, and nobody knows what the gold content is (de minimus). Few people have real gold jewlery these days. Nobody will take hacked off jewlery unless they can verify the gold content. Now if it can be melted down to remove the real gold, maybe. But unlikely. That will burn a lot of fuel useful for other things.

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    Gold will be far to valuable for common use but for large purchases and to hold , Silver will be the common currency Silver quarters ,dimes , half dollars and dollars .
    A chisel and hammer for making change , Large quantities of clear liquor , large bottles they can bring their own bottle or you can have smaller ones like clean water bottles .
    Never trade away your ammo you'll need that to defend what you have and use a 22LR for killing food and 20K RD's would be a comfortable amount to keep for that and trade .
    Never flash a handful of coins or High Value jewelry , Don't bring all your trade goods to the market at once and watch your back when you leave , Don't go alone

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    The stuff people have these days from target or whatever is not real gold. Its gold plated, maybe, and nobody knows what the gold content is (de minimus). Few people have real gold jewlery these days. Nobody will take hacked off jewlery unless they can verify the gold content. Now if it can be melted down to remove the real gold, maybe. But unlikely. That will burn a lot of fuel useful for other things.

First, I was responding to a post about bullion.

Second, yes, much yellow jewelry is not gold but yes, people who are going to buy gold are going to take pieces of gold jewelry. This has been going on forever. As a matter of fact, passengers on the Spanish treasure fleet carried their wealth home in jewelry form because bullion was taxed, jewelry wasn't. Look online for "buy gold jewelry" those places aren't buying jewelry for jewelry, they are buying it for the scrap value. The fact that it has to be verified is the same whether it is gold coin, bullion or jewelry. There are plenty of fake coins and bullion out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom