POLL: Has a doctor ever asked you about guns?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Has your doctor ever asked you about guns?

• Yes

Votes: 127 27.0%
    • No

Votes: 343 73.0%

• Total voters

navycraig

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2009
    St. Mary's
    We all have our ways of dealing with things, and in the end the outcome can be the same. Mature people of average intelligence should be able to figure out what information is useful for a particular purpose and what information isn't. The possibility exists that this information may be used for nefarious purposes by the government at some point. Once entered into a computerized medical record it will be there forever. Easily searchable. Nobody should ever trust government, IMO. A "none of your business" of "break in and find out" answer gives you a good idea that people do, in fact, own firearms.

I advocate saying no. That is what I do. It is what I have instructed my kids to do. It hasn't made them little criminals, they just understand that there is some information that needs to be kept very private, and people just don't need to know. It is the real world. Life isn't all puppies and unicorns. They may deal with more 2A issues than we do, and need to learn certain things at an early age. Just how I choose to raise my kids. To be prepared.

Of course you are welcomed to raise your children as you wish. I simply hold the value of the truth to be just as important to me as I hope you hold the value of your Hippocratic Oath.

We've met, broken bread together and you're a smart guy. To imply that raising children to tell the truth is raising them in a world of puppies and unicorns (and maybe Santa Clause) really is beneath you, IMO.

Maybe we're splitting hairs, maybe not. You tell your kids to say no. As stated before, mine are grown and gone so this particular issue was never addressed to them. However, if it had been, my input to them would be to reply with something like..."I don't own any guns and I'm not comfortable speaking for my parents".

As a Doctor you are okay with a patient not telling the truth in this instance because it does not impact how you care for them. How would you feel about them lying to you about something that does matter? Shots, broken bones or other issues that could have a significant impact on how you proceed with treatment?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Of course you are welcomed to raise your children as you wish. I simply hold the value of the truth to be just as important to me as I hope you hold the value of your Hippocratic Oath.

We've met, broken bread together and you're a smart guy. To imply that raising children to tell the truth is raising them in a world of puppies and unicorns (and maybe Santa Clause) really is beneath you, IMO.

Maybe we're splitting hairs, maybe not. You tell your kids to say no. As stated before, mine are grown and gone so this particular issue was never addressed to them. However, if it had been, my input to them would be to reply with something like..."I don't own any guns and I'm not comfortable speaking for my parents".

As a Doctor you are okay with a patient not telling the truth in this instance because it does not impact how you care for them. How would you feel about them lying to you about something that does matter? Shots, broken bones or other issues that could have a significant impact on how you proceed with treatment?

I wasn't meaning to be too much of a smart ass. No animosity intended toward you, sorry if it came across that way. I'm having one of those days where I am just plain irritated.

I think the gun question specifically is a bad question. I don't ask it. It is frankly useless to me. People shouldn't like about things that do matter, but in fact they do so routinely. I have people who swear they are taking their medications, but aren't. Swear that their blood sugars are "always perfect" and tests show average sugars in the 400's. It is very common. I have so much more to worry about than guns in the home, honestly. As I said before, someone with average intelligence can likely figure out which information is necessary for treatment, and which isn't.

RT468

Feb 19, 2009
    Catonsville Md
    Met a new doctor back in early July after basically crawling in from a back injury.Follow up appointment after the ER visit and the doc I normally saw was off.The new guy did asked about firearms and at first I wasn't sure why until he mentioned the S&W sunglasses hanging from my collar.Got to talking briefly about 300blk and cans after being examined.Other than that don't think I've ever been questioned about firearms.Went home and asked the wife and she said neither has she even at Kennedy Krieger. BTW the new guys hair while MUCH nicer than mine ever was simply was not as AMAZING as I'd been led to believe.Have to agree with the OP of another thread we need to come up with a catch phrase or gesture or something to relate to this forum so we'll have a way of knowing who's a member without asking.I'd have probably asked outright if not a little preoccupied with pain.

Knuckle Dragger

May 7, 2012
    The only reason my doctor asked me about guns was because I asked first about lead exposure and whether we should check the lead levels in my blood . Then he only asked about getting firearms training from me.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    Yes, a medication I had been prescribed was well known for a possible side effect of suicidal thoughts and I was having them. I'd immediately discontinued the medication and sought help.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    The possibility exists that this information may be used for nefarious purposes by the government at some point. Once entered into a computerized medical record it will be there forever. Easily searchable.
    This. It's not the doctor you should be worried about it's the insurance company. And now that ObamaCare requires certain information to be shared with the government it wouldn't be too much of a stretch for HHS to quietly start recording gun ownership.

I think they will use this information for 2 purposes:

1) To pass legislation requiring liability insurance for gun owners. Some study will come out by a government agency that supports the results that guns cost society more money.

2) Confiscation for "mental health" reasons. Eventually we will get another wacko nutjob shoots up another school. They will pass emergency legislation to confiscate guns from any house that has whatever they consider a "mental defect".

Remember, one of the purposes of the 2A is to protect people's ability to overthrow their own government. This recording of information is unlawful and not necessary for any medical necessity.

Answer "No" quietly on any form.

Stoic58

Jan 10, 2013
    Silver Spring
    A more immediate concern is how securely this data is stored, and who has access to it.

http://www.technologyreview.com/news/533631/2015-could-be-the-year-of-the-hospital-hack/

From TFA:

"Carl Leonard, principal security analyst for Websense, says hackers are breaking into the computer networks of health-care facilities with increasing frequency and taking valuable personal information that is often secured improperly."

Besides 'hackers', there are also the large number of health care employees who have access to patient health data, which now may include information about gun ownership. A corrupt insider might find a list of gun owners w/ addresses quite valuable to their criminal associates.

Answer no while you still can.

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    Have never been asked, would never respond if asked since it is none of anyone else's business except for the people that I chose to tell. My reason for not answering is the same reason that I will never consent to a search of my car or person when asked by a cop (without a warrant and when not suspected of criminal activity), even though I have absolutely nothing to hide - it is simply because I don't have to and don't want to.

Wheaton Hills Sportsman

Jan 27, 2012
    One asked me about hobbies, so hunting and shooting are my hobbies, but it was just to encourage me to get more exercise. My ENT and the hearing testing center he sent me to asked me about exposure to loud noises, and, well, so hunting and shooting are my hobbies. I was never asked otherwise.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    I saw it once on a form, I left the question out.

My regular doctor doesn't ask. My therapist doesn't even ask.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Interesting form, it would have been nice to have on hand several yrs back when one of the peds oncology Drs. at Hopkins started asking me about firearms in the home. I had to inform her my owning guns or not had no bearing on my son's leukemia. She started spouting the standard child safety line and I told her all my kids had been taught safety and was allowed to see any gun when they asked and I had time to show them. If I didn't have time then I'd make time later. Kids are sneaky bastids and curious. Satisfy the curiosity and they won't feel the need to sneak behind your back. We had a little back and forth and left it with her still talking about child safety. Again, that form would have been nice to hand over and ask for her signature.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Never received that form. I have been asked by pediatrician if there are guns in home. I'm not following how a pediatrician asking that question opens them up to some liability or requiring gun training qualifications.

yellowfin

Pro 2A Gastronome
    Jul 30, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    My chiropractor carries a G27 and was asking me about practice tips so I made him some dummy rounds for dry fire. My optometrist wanted to know a good single action carry gun so I recommended a CZ 75 SA, Kimber Aegis, and Springfield EMP to try. My dentist shoots Palma and some other form of rifle competition. My dad was a surgeon so I knew tons of doctors who shot growing up, mostly shotguns.

Next question?

K3LAG

Yes, but because he likes guns. The first time I saw him, I saw a certificate from the NRA thanking him for his support hanging in the waiting room. I had a feeling I was going to like him. Been going to him for over 10 years now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom