• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gaskg

Jan 5, 2010
    Forest Hill
    I'm new to muzzleloaders so maybe you guys can help. I'm finding conflicting information about transferring blackpowder models of the contender/ pro hunter that can change to other barrels. Can someone clear this up for me? Do I have transfer though an FFL from an out of state seller? The one I'm
    Looking at is a black powder model.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    The Prohunter is actually an Encore - not a Contender. The Contender is a lighter frame, for smaller & lower pressure cartridges.

There are actually a couple versions of the Encore muzzleloader. The FX is a fixed barrel, and cannot interchange barrels - you should not have to do a FFL on that, and should be able to buy it over the counter/off the shelf.

Th standard Encore or Prohunter - probably will require an FFL, because they can be converted into a rifle - both centerfire, & rimfire, a shotgun, or handgun.

My suggestion if you plan on adding on barrels - buy a pistol package, and register the frame as a handgun. You will have to supply a spent cartridge. If you buy it in that manner, you can legally convert it into any form, including a rifle,shotgun etc.

gaskg

Jan 5, 2010
    Forest Hill
    Thanks so much! I think you answered all my questions. Have you shot the Pro Hunter? What do you think? I'm a total newbie to black powder. I want it for hunting white tail.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Thanks so much! I think you answered all my questions. Have you shot the Pro Hunter? What do you think? I'm a total newbie to black powder. I want it for hunting white tail.

I own & shoot a regular Encore in centerfire form -in both handgun & rifle. I have not fired one (an Encore) in Blackpowder. Mine is a non Pro version, but the difference between the 2 is really minimum. The Pro Hunters have longer barrels - but they can be interchanged between both No Pro Hunters- and Pro Hunters. The Pro Hunter has a swing hammer, and a little bit of engraving. Other then that they are identical. You can can get hammer extenders for the standard Encores, which makes it easier to cock the hammer on a scoped barrel.

The Encores are really cool guns. They are a little odd to shoot off a bench because of the triangular trigger guards, which makes them a little bit hard to bed on a sand bag or shooting bag. The nice thing there are LOTS of barrels to choose from, and lots of custom barrel makers, who can make you one in just about any caliber & length you want.

T/C generally makes great muzzleloaders - Im sure the Encore is no exception in a muzzleloader form!

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Both the Encore and contender are listed on the Handgun roster:
    http://www.mdsp.org/Organization/Su...n/HandgunRoster/HandgunModels.aspx?manu=18146

I guess because they can be converted from rifles to pistols so it looks like you will have to go through the whole process FFL, background check, waiting period, and registered transfers only in the future.

But a .50 caliber with 150 grains of BP should do fine on deer if you do your part.

Blacksmith101

Last edited:

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    for the encore and contender in order for it to be able to be converted from handgun to rifle, it must be made as a handgun and redgestered as such.

If you buy the encore or contender as a rifle it has to always stay a rifle unless you do the paperwork to make it a short barreled rifle.

All contender or enfore frames have to be done trough an FFl (rifle frames can be done face to face with in the state) no matter what barrel is on it at time of sale.
    I do not have a pro hunter but that is just a markiting lable They took the normal barrels and just changed a few simple things like make it S.S. with a new style breach plug, fluted and a little longer tube.

I personaly own and hunt with 2 encores and a G2 contender. I have an encore 15" muzzle loader abd 26" muzzle loader barrel in 209x50 and the G2 has a 24" 209x45 muzzle loader barrel.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Rifles to Pistols and Back

for the encore and contender in order for it to be able to be converted from handgun to rifle, it must be made as a handgun and redgestered as such.

If you buy the encore or contender as a rifle it has to always stay a rifle unless you do the paperwork to make it a short barreled rifle.

All contender or enfore frames have to be done trough an FFl (rifle frames can be done face to face with in the state) no matter what barrel is on it at time of sale.

Here is what the ATF says about converting Encores and Contenders:
    http://www.atf.gov/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-2011-4.pdf

Rickyp do you have a reference that says rifle frame transfers (because Encore and Contender "frames" are controlled by the Handgun Roster) are legal face to face in Maryland?

Blacksmith101

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    Asi said the rifle frames are just that rifles and are free to be sold face to face with in the state. If the frame was made and reported as a handgun it has to be sold as a handgun. If you cal t/c and give them the s/s they can tell you how the frame was shipped, with that barrel if any and who the distribution hup it went to. With in a few minuted

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I'm new to muzzleloaders so maybe you guys can help. I'm finding conflicting information about transferring blackpowder models of the contender/ pro hunter that can change to other barrels. Can someone clear this up for me? Do I have transfer though an FFL from an out of state seller? The one I'm
    Looking at is a black powder model.

It's rather simple. T/C Muzzleloaders are designed from the Interchangeable Barrel system. Therefore, these "firearms" have to be transferred because the barrel is not a Permanent Component, thus making them "regulated".

I found this silly legal tid-bit out a few years ago myself when the thought of buying a T/C Encore Pistol was on my new toy list. I threw that idea out the window fast and went with another M/L manufacturer.

I'm still shopping for a Rossi Mini-Loader in the state of Maryland too, since the barrels are interchangeable on the Rossi guns, you have to transfer their M'L's as well. Silly, yes, but, welcome to Maryland ! Yes, Rossi Muzzleloaders are another one that requires a background check to buy in a smoke-pole / front-stuffer.

Ebay is a fine example of the price guys will pay for a T/C to beat the laws of the state.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom