• Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    PM sent

Grumpy41

Jan 5, 2008
    Calvert County
    I have taken a two day class with Ed. Great training and his abilities to read the wind are amazing. I stayed at the Inn/Motel at Lake Anna. Not the best but it had cheap rooms, and since you are shooting all day no big deal. It also had a bar. Enjoy the class and take notes.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    OK, there is a proposal for April 30/May 1 for the second class.

Is that OK for those on that list?

Also, even if you are on the second list, please PM your Name, Email, and Phone number. So if I need to contact.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    BTW second class is already up to 6 shooters. So only 2 places left.

And then we will start working on the 3rd class. :D

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If you know gun safety and the basics of shooting, you should be fine.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    OK, Ed has said he will do a second class.

He needs to work out some details on the date. So, those on the 2nd class list need to work out a couple of dates that work for you. April 30/May 1 has been proposed.

And the price MIGHT be a bit higher. He really cut to the bone for the $200 price. He needs to make SOME money for next winter. :)

There may or may not be a 3rd class at this deal.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Not a lot. I would say MAX $100, probably less, maybe no change.

As I said, Ed cut us a bare bones price.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    OK.. I have returned all PMs to date.

I'm getting a few questions about gear and skill levels so:

Gear:

A rifle and scope capable of shooting 1" groups at 100 yards will get you through as far as precision required. If you are not able to consistently do that with your otherwise precision rifle, we can probably fix that while you're here.

We will start at 100 yards and do a zero check and debug, then head for high ground and shoot long.

We will likely shoot irregular distances out to about 1,200 yards. With a .308, depending upon load and barrel length, you'll need to be able to dial to about 38-40 moa to reach 1,000 and close to 55 moa to dial to 1,200. Not everyone's rig is going to be able to address the longest targets, but there is plenty of other shooting to be had.

Ammo: Each shooter should plan to bring about 150 rounds of good quality long range match ammo.

Handloads are fine, provided they are safe and functional. I typically recommend Federal Gold Medal match 175s for a .308 or 7.62x51, with XM-118LR as a very good alternate. If you're shooting a specialized caliber, a 6.5 CM, .260, 6.5-284, .300 WinMag, etc., you need ammo that provides you with good precision and minimum velocity deviation.
    Nothing bigger than a .338 Lapua will be usable, and really, more modest calibers will allow you to get more out of this. The .308 is not the absolute best long range caliber out there, but it IS one of the best for training, due precisely to its limitations.

You will want a bipod, possibly two (6-9" & 9-13"), rear bag and shooting mat. I do have a little bit of loaner gear here, but cannot fully outfit 8 students at once, so just bring what you can.

Some way of calculating your ballistics will be a big help. My cohorts and I can run it for you, but running it yourself will save us all time. I use the phone ap "Shooter" and find it a bargain for $9.99. There are plenty others that work fine, free ones too, most use identical math.

For personal items:

eye protection
    ear protection (I have foam plugs)
    hat with brim
    light jacket
    lightweight boots/hiking shoes
    insect repellent
    sunscreen
    snacks
    drinks

I'll have coolers with bottled plain, regular, 100,000,000 year old water, so if you require sparkling water or GatorUrine or something special like that, BYOB.

We will meet for breakfast at around 7:30-8am, then get started.
    We will break for lunch and run someplace local to eat.
    We will probably call a cease fire for the day at 5 or 5:30pm.

We will be able to bring a couple vehicles close to the firing line, so there is no need to hump far, but you will want a range bag or pack to stow gear anyway.

Skill levels:

We will be able to work with all skill levels. If you've never shot past 100 yards, good, you're in for a new perspective and you'll do fine. If you're an old hand at long range, we'll do head shots only at 1k+. Just bring an open mind and a willingness to discard techniques and concepts that work against you.

Scheduling:

Looks like the first class filled up, and as Pinecone states above, I'll be delighted to set up a second weekend. You guys will just have to give me a little breathing room on the exact date for the second class.

As we discuss this, I am also actively scheduling my regular client base and got a call this afternoon asking for the weekend we just set up. I told the student that the 14-15 weekend was booked, but either side was open and he is checking with his team. I'd like to give him a day or two to respond, then we'll move forward here.

Thanks all, and again, please let me know if there are any questions not addressed above.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Put me on the list for the second class please.

I will have to double check to make sure it isn't prom night for my senior child. And if it is....how much trouble I will be in with the wide if I'm not there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom